'01 Shiver cartridge repair?

July 8, 2003, 3:54 p.m.

This is in no way to reflect on Trailworker

So, I traded Trailworker my JrT plus cash for his '01 Shiver that he had just traded to get. I finally got it out for a ride today and I noticed that the rebound was too quick for me. A quick stop by my lbs to confirm this and they think that the cartridges are shot.

I take them home and dump the oil out of them - dirty and yechy! I disassemble one side to have a look at the internals (very easy forks to work on) and replace the oil. Push test them and they seem to be too fast still. I drain the oil out other leg and replace the oil, put it all back together and this side is much better. It has rebound damping.

My question(s) is this:
1) has anyone here actually rebuilt a cartridge? If so how?
2) will running full damping on one side and none on the other side blow the good side as well?

Other than that I think it was a good trade and don't regret it. I knew there was going to be some work to do on them, now I just got to figure how.

July 8, 2003, 7 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]bump[HTML_REMOVED]

Come on someone out there must know.

July 8, 2003, 8:34 p.m.

:eek:
this is no good!!!
the fork ran with rebound perfectly set for me,but of course, i did NOT drain the oil out and check to see the way it was running…
egad..this is no good.i really hope you dont think i had some sort of problem with the fork before i traded it to you..i just never fiddled around with it because it was set perfect for me as the kid i traded with was around my wheight/size.

July 8, 2003, 8:46 p.m.

Don't worry about it Julien! I expect the worst and hope for the best. Like I said on the previous post - It's no reflection on you. You didn't have them long enough to know otherwise. I remember you saying my rebound was soooo slow;)

No worries it's one side only and I am trying to get a cartridge cheap as we speak but if I can take it apart and fix it myself that would be even better.

July 8, 2003, 10:01 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]top[HTML_REMOVED]

Ok….
anyone know the price of a new cartridge?

July 9, 2003, 12:01 a.m.

something crazy like $300

July 9, 2003, 12:37 a.m.

cartriges are pricy…and all it is is baiscally a cylinder with a rod in it wiht a lota holes..so i doubt u can do much to it..overhaul your fork..clean every thing and stuff get all the dirt out and make sure every thing is tight..
but im not an expert on forks

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

July 9, 2003, 4:51 a.m.

I don't think they can be taken apart and overhauled. Or shops probably don't do it. Maybe keep on flushing some new oil through. If the problem persists, it probably wouldn't cost much for a shop to look at the fork.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 9, 2003, 8:07 a.m.

300 bucks??? Good god. Anyone know what the warranty is supposed to be on these forks? That's probably a no go but it may be worth a try.

July 9, 2003, 10:54 a.m.

did you unscrew those silver things all the way on the top caps. cuz they regulate how much oil is supposed to flow throght the fork.

POISON THE WELL
http://www.poisonthewell.com/
lookin to trade a 750lb 2.2 stroke spring for a 600 or 650lb 2.2 or 2.3 stroke sping, pm me