ebikes on the Shore

Sept. 18, 2022, 8:56 a.m.

In the future you'll be special ordering any human powered bicycles and the bropeds will be on the showroom floor. No point stocking stuff that the shop can't sell.

Sept. 18, 2022, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

The future? A peek? Most Giant bicycles have a -E version of the same name/geo/usage. 

Available* in store now.

*supply chain issues

but its not the same bike unlike these. needs an sl version, not a full one ebike

Sept. 18, 2022, 2:42 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

In the future you'll be special ordering any human powered bicycles and the bropeds will be on the showroom floor. No point stocking stuff that the shop can't sell.

It’ll be like what I think it’s BMW in Europe. Cars come with features already installed, like heated seats, but you need to subscribe to use them. So you’ll get the ebike but if you want the power you’ll have to sign up.

Sept. 18, 2022, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

It’ll be like what I think it’s BMW in Europe. Cars come with features already installed, like heated seats, but you need to subscribe to use them. So you’ll get the ebike but if you want the power you’ll have to sign up.

I was imagining a future where you bought an broped and when the battery/motor die out of warranty and you don't want to spend $3K to replace them or replacements are no longer available you buy say a $500 package with a downtube storage container that replaces the battery and a another module that replaces the motor with a shell that has a BB/crank mounted. Turns it into a human powered bike you can use or sell to someone else.

They could just skip the different broped/bicycle models and offer the same chassis with either option. Probably like I said stock the broped at shops and any luddite weirdos who don't want a motor can special order the un-motorized version.

Sept. 18, 2022, 8:38 p.m.

Imagine the future when you can pick up an ebike for cheap because the motor is fried and use the parts from it to make a decent pedal bike. I mean those are the components I seem to be choosing anyway - ebike rated stuff.

Sept. 18, 2022, 9:10 p.m.

Imagine a scenario where people didn’t care what you ride and are just happy to share trail riding and building experiences.

Sept. 19, 2022, 12:44 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Imagine a scenario where people didn’t care what you ride and are just happy to share trail riding and building experiences.

I don't think It's unreasonable for people to criticize the idiotic design of e(asy)bikes. Instead of developing appropriate parts and design, they just use bicycle design and overpower it with an electric motor. One that is proprietary and often wears or dies before the bike (a bike that ironically was not designed with the electric motor in mind). The fact that companies are pumping out identical bikes with and without motors just highlights how little design effort has gone into e(asy)bikes. If those of us that think the bicycle was a perfectly elegant, nay perfect design, take issue with companies slapping motors on them and calling it "progress, why can't we voice that opinion?

Sept. 19, 2022, 6:06 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Imagine a future where humans can't get a snack from the kitchen without the aid of a motor and they wonder "Why didn't anyone bother pointing out using all these motors was a bad idea when we could have turned this around?" I mean at least someone will be selling us Snack Master 3000 robots to bring us treats so we won't be without Doritos so it's not all doom and gloom even if out vestigial arms and legs won't propel us around the house any longer. ;-)

Sept. 19, 2022, 9:43 a.m.

Imagine a future where people don't expend a lot of energy fretting about trivial things that don't really concern them.

Sept. 19, 2022, 2:20 p.m.

Working on Pipeline yesterday and this smart wheel made its first appearance on the trail.

I was impressed they rode all the wood work and 95% of the trail.

Sept. 19, 2022, 2:39 p.m.

^^^

That's the creation of a new sport.

Sept. 19, 2022, 2:47 p.m.

Posted by: Silk

Working on Pipeline yesterday and this smart wheel made its first appearance on the trail.

EUC - Electric Unicycle

https://youtu.be/HX9ExxhNrMI

Sept. 19, 2022, 5:41 p.m.

even if out vestigial arms and legs won't propel us around the house any longer. ;-)

Vestigial limbs....classic vic-ism. I love that visual.

Sept. 19, 2022, 8:41 p.m.

Posted by: Silk

EUC - Electric Unicycle

There is a guy in my neighborhood that has one of those. I see him zooming around town on it, usually dancing to some music while wearing full armor and a full face helmet. Quite a spectacle but he seems to be living his best life.

Sept. 19, 2022, 10:40 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

There is a guy in my neighborhood that has one of those. I see him zooming around town on it, usually dancing to some music while wearing full armor and a full face helmet. Quite a spectacle but he seems to be living his best life.

There is a group of 3 or 4 guys that I see regularly around Parkgate and Deep Cove, fully armoured up, looking like some kind of South American hit squad.

Last edited by: PaulB on Sept. 19, 2022, 10:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.