ebikes on the Shore

Aug. 26, 2022, 9:15 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdH2AtcDM3o

Aug. 27, 2022, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Oh look, shitty riders on shitty motorcycles.

Aug. 27, 2022, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Oh look, shitty riders on shitty motorcycles.

You elitist gatekeeper! Haha j/k!

Aug. 27, 2022, 10:06 a.m.

Doesn’t look like any shore I know.

Aug. 28, 2022, 6:03 a.m.

Saw a guy yesterday E-pedal his high end E-mtb to Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal towing a fully loaded chariot trailer (gear, not kids).  

I had to give him a thumbs up cheers, because tha’ts how you ride an E-bike!   None of this drive it on the back of your car/truck/Taco shit.

Aug. 28, 2022, 11:01 p.m.

public transport is the only way to travel with your (e)bike…

usually on the train

or the bus

Last edited by: Sethimus on Aug. 28, 2022, 11:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2022, 8:24 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Saw a guy yesterday E-pedal his high end E-mtb to Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal towing a fully loaded chariot trailer (gear, not kids).  

I had to give him a thumbs up cheers, because tha’ts how you ride an E-bike!   None of this drive it on the back of your car/truck/Taco shit.

The bulk of the commuter ebike crowd gets a thumbs up from me. I live seeing three kids on the back rack - so f#@king cute.

I hate the ones with mods that allow them to go 50+. I was cruising down the bursary bridge going around 40 when some guy on his suped up scooter blasts an airhorn because I was on the left side and he wanted to pass me going 50+. 

Also, while I gripe about easybikes (my new name for them), did anyone see the results of the emtb xc world championships? This is a UCI event. The best riders in the entire world. The grand championship. Within the top 30, many riders were lapped not once, not twice but FIVE TIMES. This is a 1hr race. see its not emtb I hate, it's the cycling industry marketing of these things. UCI emtb xc world championships is everything wrong about the cycling industry. Not that people shouldn't race them, but that the industry shouldn't push a crap event just to boost sales.

Rant over

Go easybike commuters! Even if I swear at you passing me going up the lions gate without breaking a sweat.

Aug. 29, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

LOL, those CTY bikes look terrible. So much crap on the market.

A lovable but admittedly meat-head riding buddy brought his Range VLT to ride with our group of 6 in Squamish last Saturday. On econo mode, he did pretty well riding at a regular pace with us, meshed pretty well with our group of "acoustics" (puke). It was his mentality around riding that really stood out to me though. Doing the Ring Creek road meander up to Upper Half Nelson, he kept mentioning how he "remembers doing this climb a couple times before, prior to his ebike, and he'd never consider that again". "I don't know man, it's just part of riding bikes for me", as I slowly spin along, well within my comfort range. After 3 laps of various trails, he keeps pointing out that his battery is only 30% depleted. "I can theoretically do 3 x more of today's trail menu, everyone needs one of these things". I honestly don't think I want or need to do 3 x more. I'm super happy to ride often, and not 3 x more than often. More, more MORE!

Last edited by: mammal on Aug. 29, 2022, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2022, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

It was his mentality around riding that really stood out to me though. Doing the Ring Creek road meander up to Upper Half Nelson, he kept mentioning how he "remembers doing this climb a couple times before, prior to his ebike, and he'd never consider that again". "I don't know man, it's just part of riding bikes for me", as I slowly spin along, well within my comfort range.

Lately I have encountered many people who refuse to climb on their bike. They are either on an eBike or are pushing their trail bike. Young people too. It is odd...I asked a few and their response was the same "I would never pedal up man"

I actually enjoy climbing, so maybe I am biased.

Aug. 29, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

Back in the day, 7-10 laps of Cypress after work. Each guy in the group had to bring a vehicle with at least 4 person, 4 bike capacity.  Rode till 11 pm, moar, moar moar!

Not much different.

Aug. 29, 2022, 1:39 p.m.

Back in the day, 7-10 laps of Cypress after work. Each guy in the group had to bring a vehicle with at least 4 person, 4 bike capacity. Rode till 11 pm, moar, moar moar!

Not much different.

At 42yo I still shuttle with my Bros just like I did "Back in the Day", so I can enjoy the benefits of a dedicated DH bike on certain trails, 1 day per week max. But I also go for lots of pedal rides, which makes up 2/3 of my riding at the very least. My surprise was at his apparent disgust with the concept of climbing a mountain bike without assist, and his lack of satisfaction after spending most of his day riding alongside his friends. He was actually the only one with a time constraint that day, needed to leave pretty soon, but still focused on the lost opportunity of MORE.

Didn't you guys enjoy pedaling bikes too, "Back in the Day"?

Last edited by: mammal on Aug. 29, 2022, 1:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2022, 2:14 p.m.

Back in the day, 7-10 laps of Cypress after work. Each guy in the group had to bring a vehicle with at least 4 person, 4 bike capacity. Rode till 11 pm, moar, moar moar!

Not much different.

At 42yo I still shuttle with my Bros just like I did "Back in the Day", so I can enjoy the benefits of a dedicated DH bike on certain trails, 1 day per week max. But I also go for lots of pedal rides, which makes up 2/3 of my riding at the very least. My surprise was at his apparent disgust with the concept of climbing a mountain bike without assist, and his lack of satisfaction after spending most of his day riding alongside his friends. He was actually the only one with a time constraint that day, needed to leave pretty soon, but still focused on the lost opportunity of MORE.

To my way of thinking shuttle rides were about hauling big bikes that climbed badly but descended well up to really challenging trails. That’s a lot different than it’s just too hard to go up no matter what. I’ve seen riders turn off the valley trail here in Whistler to go up the microwave climb which is a steep gravel road and get off almost instantaneously and walk. They make zero effort to even try. It is steep and a bit nasty but I get my old bones up there. I do some volunteer guiding with various groups too  it amazes me how slowly some people will ride on the pavement to the trails. As soon as it turns down they coast. I mean I’m trying to urge them along because daylight is running out but it’s like too much effort to pedal just a bit. It’s not a criticism just an observation. 

If people are honest and say that they ride ebikes to decrease climbing effort and increase the number of descents they do in a given amount of time, I respect that. But the people that make all these weak arguments about how the old and infirm can now ride. Sure that’s true but I’ll bet if the target market for ebikes were those folks we would only see heavy crappy shit. Or their friends can now keep up or they can keep up with friends. You need new friends if they won’t wait for you.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Aug. 29, 2022, 2:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2022, 9:27 p.m.

Actually, I didn’t really enjoy pedalling on the Shore.  Slogging up an old logging road or a straight-line steep gravel path on a 37 lb (that was my light “pedally” one) freeride bike wasn't much fun.   I preferred shouldering the bike and hiking up UOC over pedalling the 6th to 7th switchback (yeah, that was dumb).  

With newly built climbing trails and a modern bikes weight and geometry, I now often enjoy pedalling unassisted from home to either neighbouring hill and then up it, whereas 15 years ago that seemed an impossibility (and never happened).   Damn, I miss that right now (being on the injured/recovery list)   

Full disclosure: no interest in electric, although I’ve ridden e-mtb a couple times, their mass on the downhill turns me off.  I will buy one over car commuting in our shit traffic though.

Aug. 30, 2022, 7:17 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Not much different.

To my way of thinking shuttle rides were about hauling big bikes that climbed badly but descended well up to really challenging trails. That’s a lot different than it’s just too hard to go up no matter what. I’ve seen riders turn off the valley trail here in Whistler to go up the microwave climb which is a steep gravel road and get off almost instantaneously and walk. They make zero effort to even try. It is steep and a bit nasty but I get my old bones up there. I do some volunteer guiding with various groups too  it amazes me how slowly some people will ride on the pavement to the trails. As soon as it turns down they coast. I mean I’m trying to urge them along because daylight is running out but it’s like too much effort to pedal just a bit. It’s not a criticism just an observation. 

If people are honest and say that they ride ebikes to decrease climbing effort and increase the number of descents they do in a given amount of time, I respect that. But the people that make all these weak arguments about how the old and infirm can now ride. Sure that’s true but I’ll bet if the target market for ebikes were those folks we would only see heavy crappy shit. Or their friends can now keep up or they can keep up with friends. You need new friends if they won’t wait for you.

I loved pedalling back then. I took my 47lb T-Tach with 888s to Moab and climbed all the things, to the great surprise of many American visitors on super XC race bikes.  As a taller rider the pedaly bikes were absolute garbage, so spindly and hungry to endo. Freeride bikes were the closest I ever got to a bike with today's modern geo and it wasn't terrible though they were super heavy. 

Hauling a monster ebike to replace truck shuttles sounds like a pretty good solution tbh if the ebike isn't crazily heavy. Though I'm not sure how many laps of the BLT you could realistically do in a day without needing multiple batteries. I used to like shuttling too, it was a huge part of my riding diet back then but when I do it now I'm really surprised by how much driving is required for multiple passes.

Aug. 30, 2022, 8:09 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I loved pedalling back then. I took my 47lb T-Tach with 888s to Moab and climbed all the things, to the great surprise of many American visitors on super XC race bikes. As a taller rider the pedaly bikes were absolute garbage, so spindly and hungry to endo. Freeride bikes were the closest I ever got to a bike with today's modern geo and it wasn't terrible though they were super heavy.

For me it was a Norco Shore with Boxxers and a front derailleur. That was my only bike, pedaled the Shore plenty, although I was from Victoria at the time. I would frequently come visit my buddy Fishman who lived mid-Lonsdale. We'd climb all over the shore, usually straight from his place, sometimes even with smiles on our faces.

Last edited by: mammal on Aug. 30, 2022, 8:11 a.m., edited 2 times in total.