ebikes on the Shore

Aug. 12, 2021, 8:47 a.m.

Is the faux gas tank a huge water bottle? "It doesn't require a license, insurance, or registration, but we STRONGLY recommend you get a motorcycle license...".  What a responsible message.

Aug. 12, 2021, 9:54 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Beachman.ca

Coming to a bike lane near you, or is it a motor vehicle in traffic? 220 pound bicycle......

Does this even have pedals? Im not sure its pretending to be a pedal assisted ebike. It looks to me like a low power electric motorcycle. If the province (BC) ever gets their shit together, they will have to insure and license these to be legal on the roads. The way the laws are written right now, if it has a throttle, it is not considered a legal e-bike (and yes, im looking at you RAD Power bikes as well).

Last edited by: shoreboy on Aug. 12, 2021, 10:08 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 12, 2021, 12:20 p.m.

i'm confused what this is supposed to be. at first glance it looks like it has potential as a cheap / light backroad corner carving toy (with proper tires), but limited to 32km/h? dodging licensing is one thing, but seeing these mixing it up in bike lanes just seems wrong. not unlike the electro scooters, i see bombing about on sidewalks i guess...

Aug. 12, 2021, 12:57 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

i'm confused what this is supposed to be. at first glance it looks like it has potential as a cheap / light backroad corner carving toy (with proper tires), but limited to 32km/h? dodging licensing is one thing, but seeing these mixing it up in bike lanes just seems wrong. not unlike the electro scooters, i see bombing about on sidewalks i guess...

The stand up electric scooters are currently legal in some parts of BC (https://globalnews.ca/news/7714175/bc-e-scooter-pilot-project/). They are of course, not allowed on sidewalks, but that doesn't seem to stop them.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-e-scooters-streets-bike-lanes

Last edited by: shoreboy on Aug. 12, 2021, 12:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Aug. 12, 2021, 1:01 p.m.

Beach man.  Cool looking e-motorcycle chipped to try and pass itself as an e-bike.  Just don’t let the cops nab ya

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/e-bikes-motorcycles-b-c-court-decision-1.5928169

Aug. 12, 2021, 2:09 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: xy9ine

The stand up electric scooters are currently legal in some parts of BC (https://globalnews.ca/news/7714175/bc-e-scooter-pilot-project/). They are of course, not allowed on sidewalks, but that doesn't seem to stop them.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-e-scooters-streets-bike-lanes

was actually thinking of the vespa - looking e-scooters with bodywork (not sure what the correct terminology to differentiate from the stand up things is). they're throttled bikes that LOOK like a vespa type thing, but because they're electric (and presumably restricted) they get to shralp bike paths and avoid licensing. i guess these retro things would inhabit the same gray area.

*edit* - ok, the above link addresses said issue.

Last edited by: xy9ine on Aug. 12, 2021, 2:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 12, 2021, 9:20 p.m.

LOL serfbort down at VanGroovy beaches.

Saying that I'm kinda interested in one of those Super 76s. For whatever purpose.  Or I'll just say eff it and insure a 2T 300.

Aug. 12, 2021, 11:30 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

LOL serfbort down at VanGroovy beaches.

Saying that I'm kinda interested in one of those Super 76s. For whatever purpose.  Or I'll just say eff it and insure a 2T 300.

The super 76 doesn't weigh 200+ pounds that's for sure. 

I'm curious to see what the legal outcome is going to be when someone who is runs a pedestrian down on the seawall with a 200 pound pretend bike. I'm sure the vendor is going to be on the hook somewhat that's for sure. 

This is going to get super messy.

Aug. 12, 2021, 11:32 p.m.

My buddy is so hot to get one of those Super 73's.

They're the dumbest shit ever. 

It's like getting a cheap 70's moped but for 3 grand. If I was going to blow 3k it would be on a polished Gary Turner re-issue 26" BMX.

Aug. 13, 2021, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

I'm curious to see what the legal outcome is going to be when someone who is runs a pedestrian down on the seawall with a 200 pound pretend bike. 

I almost got mowed down last wk stepping across bike path at Burrard Civic by a not so pretend 200+ lb dude and his gasoline power assist "bike".

Aug. 13, 2021, 1:33 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I almost got mowed down last wk stepping across bike path at Burrard Civic by a not so pretend 200+ lb dude and his gasoline power assist "bike".

These things tend to happen when someone doesn't pay attention to what's happening around them.

I've had multiple incidents in the bikes lanes with both pedestrians and other cyclists not paying attention to what they're doing. One of the worst is cyclists at a cross street on a red light turning into the bike lanes. There's been a few times where I've come close to smoking someone and it's only because I'm scanning the intersections for people pulling stupid shit that I've been able to avoid running someone over.

Last edited by: syncro on Aug. 13, 2021, 1:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 13, 2021, 1:39 p.m.

You should always assume that everyone around you is going to do the absolute dumbest thing they could possibly do at any given time.

People are fucking stupid.

Aug. 13, 2021, 5:05 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

My buddy is so hot to get one of those Super 73's.

They're the dumbest shit ever. 

Honestly they're pretty kooky. But ripping to get the mail or items from the corner store. Or beach days would be hype.

Aug. 13, 2021, 11:33 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

These things tend to happen when someone doesn't pay attention to what's happening around them.

I've had multiple incidents in the bikes lanes with both pedestrians and other cyclists not paying attention to what they're doing. One of the worst is cyclists at a cross street on a red light turning into the bike lanes. There's been a few times where I've come close to smoking someone and it's only because I'm scanning the intersections for people pulling stupid shit that I've been able to avoid running someone over.

Guy was going at least 30kph. Thought the sound was someone flushing an outboard. It's a slow zone through what is essentially a parking lot ffs and cyclists supposed to yield.

Fucker almost clotheslined him self on my whisker-pole. Stupid fat fuck. I hope he gets covid.

Aug. 14, 2021, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Guy was going at least 30kph. Thought the sound was someone flushing an outboard. It's a slow zone through what is essentially a parking lot ffs and cyclists supposed to yield.

Fucker almost clotheslined him self on my whisker-pole. Stupid fat fuck. I hope he gets covid.

🤣 

Witnessed a Sur Ron on the narrow shared pedestrian/cyclist path this week doing probably 50mph (80km/h)+ . I was driving parallel on the road doing 35mph and he went by like I was standing still. Full moto gear, just out for a murderous commute. (Still probably burning less carbon than me though... 🤔 ).

It's a lot to expect everyone to be constantly vigilant for things that are this far outside of the norm. 

On vacation recently we saw a sign in Santa Monica in all caps 3 stories tall reminding electric scooters to stay the fuck off the sidewalk. 😅