ebikes on the Shore

Aug. 21, 2019, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Funny that’s exactly where most of the haters would want to see ebikes ridden anyways...   whats the problem?

Today, on the 14 km paved road climb (pedalled my Reign)  to my local Italian DH trail, there were many mtb ebikes bombing down the road, including a top of the line Specialized something.  I was the only one riding the DH trail down.  Hilarious

Sounds like a best case scenario.

Aug. 21, 2019, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Funny that’s exactly where most of the haters would want to see ebikes ridden anyways...   whats the problem?

Today, on the 14 km paved road climb (pedalled my Reign)  to my local Italian DH trail, there were many mtb ebikes bombing down the road, including a top of the line Specialized something.  I was the only one riding the DH trail down.  Hilarious

I find it funny it's televised. Lamer than golf IMO.

Aug. 21, 2019, 4:23 p.m.

why is that video playing in slow motion?

Aug. 21, 2019, 7:11 p.m.

How many of you remember early mountain bike racing being held on Moto tracks?

Aug. 23, 2019, 7:29 a.m.

The organizers of that nonsense sure don’t.

Aug. 27, 2019, 10:56 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Ha cute, slow dirtbikes.

Question... Was driving the other day and clocked an ebike that looks like a motorcycle doing 55km. Had the this is an ebike plate on the back, sure looked like a streetbike.  Could see the little crank arms on the side, but wasn't pedaling. Obviously over 500w, easily obtainable. Wonder what the legal/insurance ramifications are if he gets involved in a vehicular accident. I notice drivers being confused by ebikes that look like motorbikes.

Typical 250-350w standard for the big name bike companies. But the smaller ones are pushing the boundaries of what is both safe and reliable. That said, I couldn't imagine riding a 5kw ebike like the one for sale on pinkbike right now.....

Aug. 27, 2019, 11:30 a.m.

Grow the sport!  More people riding the trails the better....

Aug. 28, 2019, 3:49 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Grow the sport! More people riding the trails the better....

Not if they’re riding that. Not even sure what the pedals are for, even a parking cop could see through that.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Aug. 28, 2019, 3:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 28, 2019, 2:32 p.m.

According to this fresh article, fines in BC Parks can be up to $575. Effective immediately. Wow!

"The policy says that those with Class 1 e-bikes can ride on any B.C. Parks trail where mountain bikes or other cycling is already allowed, but those with Class 2 and 3 e-bikes can only ride on trails and roads designated for motorized vehicles."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-parks-ebike-policy-1.5262734?fbclid=IwAR2Zjw9rk2vujvBn_7aGIKI8y2a4JYPOvcwytVy9S_h7pONMyUm-ag3aw74

Aug. 29, 2019, 9:35 p.m.

Posted by: abuxton

According to this fresh article, fines in BC Parks can be up to $575. Effective immediately. Wow!

"The policy says that those with Class 1 e-bikes can ride on any B.C. Parks trail where mountain bikes or other cycling is already allowed, but those with Class 2 and 3 e-bikes can only ride on trails and roads designated for motorized vehicles."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-parks-ebike-policy-1.5262734?fbclid=IwAR2Zjw9rk2vujvBn_7aGIKI8y2a4JYPOvcwytVy9S_h7pONMyUm-ag3aw74

Yep, the BC government is basically calling Class-1 Emtbs , BICYCLES.

Aug. 29, 2019, 9:42 p.m.

Posted by: E-wok

nope, what they're saying is they can use the same trails as bicycles. that not the same as what you suggest.

Aug. 30, 2019, 6:44 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

nope, what they're saying is they can use the same trails as bicycles. that not the same as what you suggest.

....and da Nile , isn’t just a river ;)

At this point, the most useful  thing to do , is to place rouge directional signs , at the bottom of the trails you think might be problematic . Then, sit back and embrace the change, and perhaps pick a more important battle if you must . ✌🏽

Last edited by: E-wok on Aug. 30, 2019, 12:27 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 30, 2019, 2:59 p.m.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/us-secretary-of-the-interior-opens-national-park-trails-to-e-bikes.html

Cat amongst the pigeons...

The US Feds are proposing allowing e-bikes on National Park and BLM trails open to "regular" mountain bikes...

Aug. 30, 2019, 7:13 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/us-secretary-of-the-interior-opens-national-park-trails-to-e-bikes.html

Cat amongst the pigeons...

The US Feds are proposing allowing e-bikes on National Park and BLM trails open to "regular" mountain bikes...

Proposing?

Aug. 30, 2019, 7:46 p.m.

....and da Nile , isn’t just a river ;)

At this point, the most useful  thing to do , is to place rouge directional signs , at the bottom of the trails you think might be problematic . Then, sit back and embrace the change, and perhaps pick a more important battle if you must . ✌🏽

It seems like you haven't been following very closely as I'm not necessarily opposed to ebikes, but I do think there needs to be some clear rules around their use. What am I opposed to however is bullshit arguments being used to prop up one's stance on ebikes - whatever side of the table they happen to come from.