ebikes on the Shore

July 19, 2019, 10:44 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I rode an ebike last night. 

It made the uphill slog liek a sea wall pedal. Attempting the up and over hike with a 56lbs bike was laughable

My neighbour has a Specialized Turbo Levo. Apparently it has a walk mode where there is some assist limited throttle to help walk that behemoth up difficult bits.

Shirley you jest?

July 19, 2019, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Brocklanders

Specialized really driving to the hoop.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-peter-sagan-rides-new-specialized-e-bike-on-rest-day-gallery/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-ride-electric-road-bikes-on-tour-de-france-rest-day-gallery/

I can almost get my head around ebikes for off road use but road I just don't get. I look forward to people hauling these things on their cars to do whatever it is that people who haul road bikes on their cars do when they get there.

I'm with you, I get why people like ebikes and they sell, yes it is fun to make the climb easier and hit more DH, I've never denied that I just think the risks outweigh the benefits. Ebikes for commuting is also an awesome idea and I'd love one. But an e-road bike? WTF? This is just laughable. At least roadies are more snobby than MTBers so I can't see these being accepted by actual cyclists even with Sagan pimping.

Also hahaha at the walk mode assist for hike a bike.

July 19, 2019, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: Brocklanders

Specialized really driving to the hoop.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-peter-sagan-rides-new-specialized-e-bike-on-rest-day-gallery/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-ride-electric-road-bikes-on-tour-de-france-rest-day-gallery/

I can almost get my head around ebikes for off road use but road I just don't get. I look forward to people hauling these things on their cars to do whatever it is that people who haul road bikes on their cars do when they get there.

I'm with you, I get why people like ebikes and they sell, yes it is fun to make the climb easier and hit more DH, I've never denied that I just think the risks outweigh the benefits. Ebikes for commuting is also an awesome idea and I'd love one. But an e-road bike? WTF? This is just laughable. At least roadies are more snobby than MTBers so I can't see these being accepted by actual cyclists even with Sagan pimping.

Also hahaha at the walk mode assist for hike a bike.

I feel like the 'walk mode assist' might also be that slippery slope to throttled eMTBs.  Also, how annoying would it be to have the cranks spinning (even at slow speed) while you are standing beside you bike pushing?  I assume the cranks would have to spin in 'walk assist' mode the way eMTBs are setup right now.

July 19, 2019, 12:29 p.m.

It made the uphill slog liek a sea wall pedal. Attempting the up and over hike with a 56lbs bike was laughable

My neighbour has a Specialized Turbo Levo. Apparently it has a walk mode where there is some assist limited throttle to help walk that behemoth up difficult bits.

Shirley you jest?

Nope. He discovered it by accident too. He has a valid need for a ebike though. Post concussion syndrome. He’s not able to push hard at all without getting a massive headache.

July 19, 2019, 1:52 p.m.

https://youtu.be/Pa5KIL4JxCc

Walk mode demonstrated. What ebikes really need is a lift mode to get one in a truck or roof rack.

July 20, 2019, 3:12 p.m.

Miami Bryce flogging Cracknfail ebikes now.

July 21, 2019, 1:55 p.m.

Shirley you jest?

Nope. He discovered it by accident too. He has a valid need for a ebike though. Post concussion syndrome. He’s not able to push hard at all without getting a massive headache.

The acceptable heart rate jump when you're healing a concussion is ZERO. Which I suppose tells you everything you need to know about what it takes to spin these things and achieve whatever speed you feel you're entitled to.

July 21, 2019, 4:23 p.m.

Shirley you jest?

The acceptable heart rate jump when you're healing a concussion is ZERO. Which I suppose tells you everything you need to know about what it takes to spin these things and achieve whatever speed you feel you're entitled to.

Not true. At all. You only get out of it what you put into it. Unless you’ve ridden one you probably shouldn’t speculate.

His post concussion syndrome must not be very serious.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 21, 2019, 4:28 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 21, 2019, 4:46 p.m.

I have.. pretty much put in no effort for quick climbing. Dunno where this better workout data comes from. Fox News?

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 21, 2019, 4:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 21, 2019, 5:05 p.m.

Perhaps do little more riding, more than 5 minutes

July 21, 2019, 5:13 p.m.

If you’re not getting a good workout your not pushing yourself. Now if you want to put it in boost and spin well yes it can be easy. Personally I prefer to leave it in eco so I do get a workout. What I really like is that I get Three laps of my local trails in a little more time than I can get one in on my little bike.

July 21, 2019, 8:25 p.m.

Think of how much a workout one could get if they left their e-bike in “OFF” mode! 🤔

E-bike-ist we were riding with earlier this week was complaining that he was getting cold from putting in no effort and was going to turn it off to work up a sweat. ¯\(ツ)/¯.

July 22, 2019, 1:35 a.m.

I think someone is yanking someone’s chain. Or Maybe  I’m just fat and lazy.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 22, 2019, 1:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 22, 2019, 1:42 a.m.

Then of course there is always the chance that I could tell you Donald Trump got elected into the White House and you wouldn’t believe that either.

July 22, 2019, 8:06 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Perhaps do little more riding, more than 5 minutes

Rode it up NQ, down executioner/Dreamweaver. Barely broke a sweat, but I guess that's just me.  Was if fun climbing with no effort? Sure.