ebikes on the Shore

June 10, 2019, 3:06 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I saw two Park Rangers on ebikes yesterday.  They were going up Old Buck exiting on Deep Cove Lookup and saw them coming down the road on CBC later on.   Looks like they are trying keep the riff raff off the rogue trails.  $115 fines if you get caught.

This sounds like an early 2000s Kokanee beer commercial.

June 10, 2019, 5:32 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I saw two Park Rangers on ebikes yesterday.  They were going up Old Buck exiting on Deep Cove Lookup and saw them coming down the road on CBC later on.   Looks like they are trying keep the riff raff off the rogue trails.  $115 fines if you get caught.

Good.   Too many idiots riding the hiking trails on the east side of Mt. Seymour Road.

June 11, 2019, 12:41 p.m.

If you look on Trailforks, for any the trails at Thorhill -Maple Ridge you will notice that is says, "Ebikes Allowed: no". If you look at 7th Secret at Fromme, there isn't even a spot that says Ebikes:, allowed or not. 

This would indicate to me that ebikes are not prohibited from riding Fromme, Is this correct?

June 11, 2019, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Im not sure I believe that unless its dramatically different between DNV and DWV.

It's different. DWV is not on the game yet like the other land managers. Give it time and they'll catch up. With Strava heatmaps their job is easier than it ever was.

June 11, 2019, 7:16 p.m.

Posted by: BigFoot

If you look on Trailforks, for any the trails at Thorhill -Maple Ridge you will notice that is says, "Ebikes Allowed: no". If you look at 7th Secret at Fromme, there isn't even a spot that says Ebikes:, allowed or not. 

This would indicate to me that ebikes are not prohibited from riding Fromme, Is this correct?

I’m not sure Trailforks has that right.

June 12, 2019, 7:35 a.m.

It’s probably just the preference of the people who build there. 

But they just need to get on board, these things are here to say, they don’t actually have authority, etc...

June 12, 2019, 9 a.m.

That's such a shit attitude. If someone goes and spends their time and effort building a trail and says no ebikes or dont ride in the rain or whatever, we as riders should respect that.

There are trails in whistler that get fucked at the start of year when thier wet despite signage and trail forks saying keep off while we maintain it and it drys out. 

Its a selfish attitude and not one I want to see more of the bike community. If ebikers are going to have the same attitude then any goodwill they might have currently is going to go out the window very quickly.

June 12, 2019, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: BeesIntheTrap

That's such a shit attitude. If someone goes and spends their time and effort building a trail and says no ebikes or dont ride in the rain or whatever, we as riders should respect that.

So no unicycles either right?

June 12, 2019, 12:35 p.m.

Unicycles are ok, but not Ebikes.

June 12, 2019, 8:16 p.m.

Posted by: D-man

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Sethimus

if you all bitch about ebikes already, what are you gonna do when these things pop up on the shore?

https://electrek.co/2019/06/04/special-edition-sur-ron-electric-bike/

if it's not pedal assist but throttle control then it can fuck off from the trails. despite what the video claims - that's a motorcycle.

And so we circle back to once again, who is going to regulate which electric bikes are permitted? Yes.. I know they classified into different classes, but you think anyone is going to give a shit? This is why COTA, BLM, and other Assns in the States have said piss off to all. Self regulation won't work, its so obvious. But Ya doesn't that bike look like fun? You can buy a pedal upgrade too, makes it a bike right?

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-pedal-system/

love this thread

Same could be said then for riders shredding down climbing trails, skidding through corners, giving right of way to climbers....

Self regulating does work but keep looking for reasons to hate.

This comment wins first prize for " Whataboutism "

I have been riding pretty much every day for the last few weeks in the Howe sound Corridor being on work hiatus. Only seen a few emtbmopeds here and there, very few...I don't hate them, I just know that a large percentage of the population is lazy and the line between bicycle and motorsport is being smeared pretty bad. You wanna ride an electric bike, go for it. The ebikers have their reasons/excuses why the ride one, that's ok.... I'm really looking forward to how over the next few years the full on motorbike is going to evolve out of the pretend electric mtbs. I have seen them at the bike shows, and this is only the beginning of a major issue for trail access when these things show up. I personally will do nothing, except watch it unfold and feel bad for those who volly their time in the trail assns having to deal with the headache. I for one don't wanna have to self regulate which motorbikes are allowed and those who are not. What a shit way to spoil a good day on the trails telling someone they cant ride there because their bike a is throttle powered pretend mountainbike. Maybe we should ask the etmb riders to wear a "self regulator badge" and they can deal with it. Gunna stand at the gate of into the Mystic in shifts and stop ebikes from riding up? I doubt it.

-Brocklanders the Hater

Last edited by: Brocklanders on June 12, 2019, 8:50 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 13, 2019, 4:27 a.m.

Posted by: D-man

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Sethimus

if you all bitch about ebikes already, what are you gonna do when these things pop up on the shore?

https://electrek.co/2019/06/04/special-edition-sur-ron-electric-bike/

if it's not pedal assist but throttle control then it can fuck off from the trails. despite what the video claims - that's a motorcycle.

And so we circle back to once again, who is going to regulate which electric bikes are permitted? Yes.. I know they classified into different classes, but you think anyone is going to give a shit? This is why COTA, BLM, and other Assns in the States have said piss off to all. Self regulation won't work, its so obvious. But Ya doesn't that bike look like fun? You can buy a pedal upgrade too, makes it a bike right?

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-pedal-system/

love this thread

Same could be said then for riders shredding down climbing trails, skidding through corners, giving right of way to climbers....

Self regulating does work but keep looking for reasons to hate.

This comment wins first prize for " Whataboutism "

I have been riding pretty much every day for the last few weeks in the Howe sound Corridor being on work hiatus. Only seen a few emtbmopeds here and there, very few...I don't hate them, I just know that a large percentage of the population is lazy and the line between bicycle and motorsport is being smeared pretty bad. You wanna ride an electric bike, go for it. The ebikers have their reasons/excuses why the ride one, that's ok.... I'm really looking forward to how over the next few years the full on motorbike is going to evolve out of the pretend electric mtbs. I have seen them at the bike shows, and this is only the beginning of a major issue for trail access when these things show up. I personally will do nothing, except watch it unfold and feel bad for those who volly their time in the trail assns having to deal with the headache. I for one don't wanna have to self regulate which motorbikes are allowed and those who are not. What a shit way to spoil a good day on the trails telling someone they cant ride there because their bike a is throttle powered pretend mountainbike. Maybe we should ask the etmb riders to wear a "self regulator badge" and they can deal with it. Gunna stand at the gate of into the Mystic in shifts and stop ebikes from riding up? I doubt it.

-Brocklanders the Hater

Yawn...

June 13, 2019, 12:01 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: BeesIntheTrap

So no unicycles either right?

Yawn.... 

Maybe try answering why it's not a selfish "me, me, me" attitude?

June 13, 2019, 6:16 p.m.

Blah blah blah... it’s the same pointless dribble. Some of you need to get over yourselves. It’s just bikes for fuck sakes.

Last edited by: FLATCH on June 13, 2019, 6:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 13, 2019, 6:26 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Blah blah blah... it’s the same pointless dribble. Some of you need to get over yourselves. It’s just bikes for fuck sakes.

Yawn.

June 13, 2019, 7:05 p.m.

The reality is when someone builds a trail people are going to use it. If that is offensive then don’t build trail, would that be a loss, sure.

I know a few long term builders in the valley, and they flat out don’t give a shit about e bikes. This whole topic is soooo over blown! 

See you on trails.