ebikes on the Shore

May 31, 2019, 11:30 a.m.

Think of all the laps you could get in!

And did you know, technical climbs are easier with a motor too?  Amazing!

June 1, 2019, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yup ultimately it's the people who are doing the work of advocacy and trail building are the ones who should have the most say in how the trails are used... 

Like some other folks here I'm sure, I've spent the last 20 years building erosion control and maintaining my local ribbon of local singletrack. 100's of hours of backbreaking (literally my discs are fucked) manual labor.

And I, for one, can't wait to see someone roost this trail uphill on an e-bike.

No really, I can't wait any longer. I've been crouched in the bushes here with a shovel cocked and ready to swing at them and I'm starting to cramp up.

June 3, 2019, 4:50 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Whatever the bike industry tells me to ride or promote, I will slurp that shit up at the trough.

June 3, 2019, 5:43 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: tashi

Whatever the bike industry tells me to ride or promote, I will slurp that shit up at the trough.

Anyone who doesn't obviously hates fun.

June 3, 2019, 6:23 p.m.

Predicition - the previous four posters will be on ebikes before I am.

June 4, 2019, 11:27 a.m.

You might be right, I’ll probably put an e-assist on the child trailer hauler.

June 4, 2019, 2:47 p.m.

I won't be buying one for a very long time but...

What if I buy an ebike and commute to my riding destination and never use my truck again for travel or as a shuttle option?

Does that entitle me to shred where I want? Is this a possibility in the future for a big number of riders in the Van area? Fewer vehicles on the road would be a good thing, right?

June 4, 2019, 2:52 p.m.

No way Kieran, get that truck over here and shuttle me!

June 4, 2019, 5:02 p.m.

Whatever you do on an e-bike, you don't need to be the dude who parks his Audi in the parking lot at the top of Mountain Highway.

June 4, 2019, 5:20 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Like some other folks here I'm sure, I've spent the last 20 years building erosion control and maintaining my local ribbon of local singletrack. 100's of hours of backbreaking (literally my discs are fucked) manual labor.

And I, for one, can't wait to see someone roost this trail uphill on an e-bike.

No really, I can't wait any longer. I've been crouched in the bushes here with a shovel cocked and ready to swing at them and I'm starting to cramp up.

lol - to be fair not everyone on an ebike is going to be roosting uphill. 

I wonder which "group" does more trail damage?

- braiders

- skidders

- dh corner roosters

-ebike uphill roosters

-ebike excessive lappers

June 4, 2019, 6:06 p.m.

just the previous four posters?

I guess you must know that I am too much of a curmudgeon to have counted earlier posters

(I will go singlespeed hardtail first)

June 4, 2019, 6:40 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

just the previous four posters?

I guess you must know that I am too much of a curmudgeon to have counted earlier posters

(I will go singlespeed hardtail first)

it was more that i found it a bit amusing that you four have tended to have been the more vocal opponents over the last little bit and had posted all in a row so I was just taking the piss.

June 5, 2019, 7:57 a.m.

Prediction - the previous four posters will be on ebikes before I am.

I think it's interesting that you think these e-bike-making companies, almost all of which refuse to vary seat tube angle and chainstay length by size, are suddenly qualified to tell me that I need a motor on my mountain bike.

June 5, 2019, 9:47 a.m.

if you all bitch about ebikes already, what are you gonna do when these things pop up on the shore?

https://electrek.co/2019/06/04/special-edition-sur-ron-electric-bike/

June 5, 2019, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I think it's interesting that you think these e-bike-making companies, almost all of which refuse to vary seat tube angle and chainstay length by size, are suddenly qualified to tell me that I need a motor on my mountain bike.

qualified to tell you what you need? nah, that's not what I was thinking -  it was a tongue in cheek comment. what is curious though is most of the reasons being put forth against ebikes seem to be focused around trail damage or user conflict and not about an individuals preference to actually pedal and do the work themselves. imo i think that's probably the most key determinant in whether someone will eventually end up on an ebike if/when they become more socially acceptable.