ebikes on the Shore

May 13, 2019, 8:38 p.m.

Hep, thanks for clarifying, I misunderstood. Tashi, I knew Alberta used fossil for a lot of electricity but just read 90%! Fuck me. Anyhow, sorry for getting of topic.

Carry on, please continue the hate.

Last edited by: FLATCH on May 13, 2019, 8:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 14, 2019, 10:28 a.m.

There is a new type of trail out there and its called, UP!

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2zguj61.png[/IMG]

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Last edited by: norona on May 14, 2019, 10:29 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 14, 2019, 4:02 p.m.

Nice pic, but you couldn't make it up that trail without a battery?

May 14, 2019, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: norona

Posted by: FLATCH

Norona, do you have anything to say about the Norco?

It is a 630 watt/hr battery so 130 watt/hrs more than mine but that is not much when I can swap one out and have 1000 watt/hr. You also don't need a carbon frame since it saves 1 pound or less on a 50 pound bike. Rumour is there will be a 1000 watt/hr battery in their next generation but all of them will be bigger which is awesome, battery tech is improving everyday.

One day, they may even have a combustion engine version that goes several hundred kilometers on a small tank of fuel and doesn't require you to "assist" the engine with your own pedaling and also has more than one horsepower! Imagine......the possibilities.....

People need to give their heads a shake. If you keep upgrading your emoped, at some point you might as well buy a motorbike. What was that you recommended? Getting as much travel as possible and don't worry about the frame weight? Sounds like a motorbike. I wish people would just accept that emopeds are more dumbed down motorbike than bicycle. I am not upset that people like riding emopeds, just the same as I am not upset that people like their motorbikes. But, motorbikes are not welcome on my trails.

May 14, 2019, 8:20 p.m.

The wall-e prophecy is upon us.

May 14, 2019, 9:53 p.m.

Posted by: BigFoot

Nice pic, but you couldn't make it up that trail without a battery?

If I'm putting 2 and 2 together correctly from that photo, he also shuttled up some of it :D A buddy was moaning about a couple of E-bikers shuttling up to where I think that photo was taken because they didn't stop and give him a lift LOL..... As for carrying a spare battery? WTF! We were only just ditching packs a year or so ago and now we are carrying spare batteries? Ha ha ha haha haah ahaaha haaha hahahah a ha etc.......

May 14, 2019, 10:47 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

"The Shimano system is a bit louder than specialized for sure but it does not bother me, it is not as loud as some guys want their freehub to be."

Last time I went for a ride, I dont recall hearing my freehub while pedaling the climb?  Anyone else?

loud hubs save lives!

May 14, 2019, 10:49 p.m.

There is a new type of trail out there and its called, UP!

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2zguj61.png[/IMG]

you still use tinypic? dang u old man

May 15, 2019, 4:24 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I am not upset that people like riding emopeds, just the same as I am not upset that people like their motorbikes. But, motorbikes are not welcome on my trails.

That’s ok, I don’t need a welcome mat.

May 15, 2019, 7:44 p.m.

Ya man, have fun, only a week, you have not even discovered the radness yet, about three weeks on it and your world will open up even more, ...

e-biking is equivalent to dumbing down technical trail features

May 15, 2019, 9:29 p.m.

Ebikes are relatively still in their infancy, with human nature and company competition the battery power will inevitably increase with technology, where will it end? 70 kph? 90kph?

I would like to know what all the dedicated trail builder think of ebikes? Guys like Digger and others have been building trail and maintaining them for 25 yrs. Out of respect, I would be content with whatever their decision would be!

Last edited by: Ouch on May 15, 2019, 10:01 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 16, 2019, 7:32 a.m.

The able-bodied E-bikers that do 6000km a year should just do 6 times the trail work. That would solve the perceived issues.

May 16, 2019, 8:17 a.m.

Why would we assume that no  e bikers would do any maintenance. I’m sure there would be a number who would or already do. I’m certain all acoustic riders do their share of maintenance , right?

And why is it assumed that most e bikers will be nubes. Again, poor argument.

May 16, 2019, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch
I would like to know what all the dedicated trail builder think of ebikes? Guys like Digger and others have been building trail and maintaining them for 25 yrs. Out of respect, I would be content with whatever their decision would be!

It would be good to hear from a few long-time builders, and active committee members, regarding their thoughts and concerns. Especially those who are more in touch with the land managers involved, and the basis of the policies in place.

I passed Digger on his ebike while riding up the first segment of Fromme climb trail last weekend. He's still rehabbing his knees, no doubt, and he uses it to get around work more efficiently. He was headed downhill, but clearly in discomfort and pulled over to rest ("How's it goin Todd?".  "Ohhhh, it's goin..."). And therein lies the grey. Ebikes are great for many things. Trail builders dream, same for commuters. Probably for some mountain bikers too. Same for those with significant injuries or disabilities. It's great to see Todd on a bike, as I haven't seen him pedaling in a whole lot of years.

But somewhere there's got to be a line, to protect the wishes of those who's call it is to share their land and let us build trails. I know there are many areas with well established trails, where the issues are far less contentious. User numbers are moderate, and conflict is minimal. But on the flip side, the S2S is booming, as far as mountain biking goes, and numbers are growing. Sensitive, more remote areas that have always had a physical effort barrier to keep the numbers sparse (and traditionally receive less maintenance), will soon be open season to everyone. The really contentious areas (South Chilchotins for example), already much closer to out-right bans for mountain bikes, now have bikes with motors to consider in their designated non-motorized zones. These are the issues that truly concern me. Trail etiquette is one thing, maintenance is another, but there is also a lot more to it. The nonchalant attitude demonstrated by salespeople and many early adopters makes me think that a lot of what makes this sport great, could come crashing down before we know it.

May 16, 2019, 8:48 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Why would we assume that no  e bikers would do any maintenance. I’m sure there would be a number who would or already do. I’m certain all acoustic riders do their share of maintenance , right?

And why is it assumed that most e bikers will be nubes. Again, poor argument.

Again? He didn't say they didn't do any maintenance, he was implying that there do their fair share but should do 6x what they would normally do.