ebikes on the Shore

Dec. 10, 2021, 5:35 p.m.

First post in a long time!

Eh…f’ ebikes. That’s all. Have a nice weekend.

Dec. 11, 2021, 1:51 a.m.

Posted by: germs

thank you for your valuable contribution

Dec. 11, 2021, 8:50 a.m.

Don’t worry, you’ll be on one soon enough.

Dec. 11, 2021, 10:59 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Do you assume that for everyone who mountain bikes? Honestly wondering if some people think ebikes are the endgame for the sport. I certainly hope I can keep riding meat powered bikes as long as possible and avoid ebikes personally. Knowing and seeing old man Peter still building trail and whipping off LOS laps at 80yo is pretty encouraging.

Dec. 11, 2021, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Do you assume that for everyone who mountain bikes? Honestly wondering if some people think ebikes are the endgame for the sport. I certainly hope I can keep riding meat powered bikes as long as possible and avoid ebikes personally. Knowing and seeing old man Peter still building trail and whipping off LOS laps at 80yo is pretty encouraging.

most riders, yes. bikes like the orbea rise are the prototypes of future mainstream bikes. they just need lighter components, which needs a newer generation of batteries and refined motors. check the new bh ilynx or the new transalpes e1, both go in the same direction, some are even lighter already.

Dec. 11, 2021, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

No, I certainly don’t. Ride what you have and enjoy the ride. Just don’t like it when people shit on others rides. Just like me saying fuck twelve speeds, just stupid shit.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Dec. 11, 2021, 2:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 11, 2021, 9:16 p.m.

Ha!

Dec. 12, 2021, 6:32 a.m.

Nope. Speak for yourself. I'm meat powered baby! If I am unable to power a mountain bike with my legs/lungs it's time to do something else.

Dec. 12, 2021, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Nope. Speak for yourself. I'm meat powered baby! If I am unable to power a mountain bike with my legs/lungs it's time to do something else.

Vik, it was sarcasm, first post, and that’s what he brings to table. C’mon. Personally I’m not a big fan of hardtales or touring but I don’t shit all over other peoples fun nor their rides.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Dec. 12, 2021, 7:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2021, 8:10 a.m.

Vik, it was sarcasm, first post, and that’s what he brings to table. C’mon. Personally I’m not a big fan of hardtales or touring but I don’t shit all over other peoples fun nor their rides.

;-) -- international indication of sarcasm when typing on the internet. 

Only morons would ride hardtails these days or tour on a bicycle. What's wrong with people???? ;-)

Dec. 12, 2021, 8:50 a.m.

Based on a lot of these posts against eBikes I can only presume that a lot of people who are against them have never ridden them. I've had the chance to ride an eBike on mountain bike trails and it was a blast.

It was exactly like mountain biking, only faster (on climbs and rolling terrain). Climbing & traversing it made me feel how I imagine an Olympic cyclist feels. Pointed downhill it was reminiscent of riding an early 2000's DH bike. It was planted, stable, easy to jump, but harder to move around in the air (although that it is more likely a result of my regressed ability).

I stepped away from the sport for like 10 years to raise kids etc. and now that I am back, I don't know how I lived without the feeling I get going (relatively) fast (for me) on a ribbon of dirt in the middle of the woods. It's the best.

If an eBike can help me chase that feeling for an extra 10 years to make up for lost time, damn right I am going to get one. If more than 50% of my usual riding buddies makes the change to eBikes I'm going to consider one at that point as well.

And if you'd rather hang up the bike and pick-up a set off golf clubs or something else, I've got no problem with that. To each their own. I just don't understand the intense dislike for something that is so similar to something that you are already doing, and presumably love.

[Edit: I am not crapping on golf.  That's just a salient point for me to make as most of my co-workers have taken up golf recently - i don't know if it is a byproduct of COVID or getting older :)]

Last edited by: Ride.DMC on Dec. 12, 2021, 8:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2021, 9:13 a.m.

Disliking ebikes is fine, as long as you show respect for people who feel differently. I understand there are people who actually need them for getting out riding trail, due to physical ailments. I also understand there are many people who are keen to short circuit the time or effort VS descent ratio that's traditionally been a part of the sport, or not bother spending the time to build up their skill/fitness in order to gain the experience they expect from a mountain bike. I've ridden a pretty nice ebike over the past year, for a short rip. I can see the appeal for some, but it doesn't jive with a lot of what I love about the mtb experience. I don't need more more more or faster faster, unless that comes from improvement within.

Last edited by: mammal on Dec. 12, 2021, 9:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 12, 2021, 1:57 p.m.

;-) -- international indication of sarcasm when typing on the internet. 

Only morons would ride hardtails these days or tour on a bicycle. What's wrong with people???? ;-)

I guess I should have added a smiley face 😀

Dec. 12, 2021, 6:17 p.m.

Funny how the MTB community/industry seems to have a major woody for ebikes.  Yet in the road and gravel community they are pretty much no where to be seen.

Dec. 12, 2021, 7:46 p.m.

are you sure about that?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-electric-gravel-bikes-463129