ebikes on the Shore

Jan. 30, 2021, 6:55 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted this in another thread, should have been here. In response to a joke about getting an E-bike if you're old:

Jokes aside, cycling is a low impact aerobic activity. Ride a pedal bike till you die. It's inherently a perfect old person activity, like water aerobics for the hardcore 🤘 except beneficial for balance and cognition too. Look at pictures of pre-capitolism China and the ancient old people happily riding their bikes around.

Personally I'll ride a bicycle until I'm no longer able to pedal, and then realistically, I expect to park the bike and keel over in short order.

Think the trails are dumbed down now, wait till we're all 80 and shaping the trails to suit us 😅

Cycling is a low impact aerobic activity? Not so much for mountain bikers.

George W isn't hitting dorps to falt, but reportedly mountain bikes regularly and he's a thousand years old. 

After I shattered my knee cap in 24 pieces and ruptured my patellar tendon, the very first real activity I did was mellow trail riding- at my surgeons suggestion. Yeah, I'd say it's inherently a low impact activity.

I expect to be able to mountain bike on mellow trails up to the bitter end. Trail doesn't need to be 5th Horseman to be real mountain biking. 🍻

Jan. 30, 2021, 7:28 p.m.

What I meant was that the cardiovascular affects from the peaks and valleys inherent to mountain biking can have an impact on some. My surgeon would agree that easy cycling was good for my ruptured achilles tendon. One of my cardiologists didn’t have an issue with me riding so long as I monitored the intensity. The peaks and valleys can contribute to arrhythmia. As far as impact goes I would say that depends on the rider. Over the years I’ve developed a pretty long grocery list of injuries, so from my perspective riding has been high impact physically. Like yourself I think I’m pretty addicted to cycling and will continue till I can’t.

What is real mountain biking anyhow? And who gives two shits about W jr?

Last edited by: FLATCH on Jan. 30, 2021, 7:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 30, 2021, 10:25 p.m.

Dubya 😅

He's been fightin' hard to relevant though eh. W, Obama and Bill Clinton the three amigos. Have no idea why he popped into my head.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, fuck riding e-bikes right up till the end. They'll pry my mountain bike out of my dead cold fingers

Jan. 31, 2021, 6:57 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Dubya 😅

He's been fightin' hard to relevant though eh. W, Obama and Bill Clinton the three amigos. Have no idea why he popped into my head.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, fuck riding e-bikes right up till the end. They'll pry my mountain bike out of my dead cold fingers

Hands, the line is HANDS. ffs.😂😷

Jan. 31, 2021, 7:49 a.m.

I bought an eBike about 2 years ago.  It was a ridiculously good deal for a second bike, so I thought why not?  180mm F/R pretty aggressive "enduro-style" bike.  My thought was I could do some self-shuttling with it and ride it on recovery days after bigger pedal rides.  

I won't lie...it is SUPER fun to ride.  But...I rode it on my local trails and felt kind of weird about it.  I cleaned a few climbs that I hadn't before, but honestly, it felt kind of hollow.  I didn't really accomplish anything, the motor did it.  I also only ever used the lowest setting on the trail.  Anything higher and it had WAY too much torque.  There is a delay with the Bosch motor and it would take a second to kick in, so trying to do pedal kicks to get up ledges was awkward.  I did finally nail the timing, but it took some adapting.  And then, the weight.  Mine weighs close to 58 lbs.  While I could manhandle it and make it work, it was still a lot of bike (reminded me of my old Banshee Scream).  

I did start using it to ride to the trail, as I felt driving an eBike there was a bit weird. Kind of missing the point.  I didn't feel I lost any fitness riding it, it was still a workout (since I only used the low setting).  The more I rode it thought, it just felt...wrong.  To me anyways.  I didn't get that feeling of "yeah, I did that!" that I get from my non-motorized bikes.

Then, some of the trail networks and preserves around here started to ban them entirely.  I do not know what the actual enforcement is, but "No eBike" signs have started to pop up at the trailheads. These are legitimate ones, not the fake stickers some locals started putting up before.  Really, there is only one park where it is actually allowed, and I limited my riding to only that one place.  I didn't want to be "that guy".   Other riders would glare at you, same with hikers.  Anyone who says that hikers can't tell the difference is incorrect.  Many of them can and while they are annoyed by mountain bikers, they HATE eBikes.  

I was also starting to meet the eBike evangelicals.  The people who think they are the second coming, much like the whole 29er trend from a few years back.  They only ride eBikes, sing their praises constantly, and, from what I can tell, do not adhere to local rules regarding eBike usage.  They ride them everywhere, including areas I know are restricted.  It got weird.  

With all of that happening...my eBike has been gathering dust.  I haven't ridden it for a few weeks now.  Only pedal bikes and I have been working on doing bigger rides.  I bought my Yeti a few weeks ago as well and recently cleaned a climb on it that I had been working on for a long time.  That feeling of accomplishment was back!  I also knocked out a century on my roadie as well.  

This is a whole lot of rambling, but I will just say this:  I have nothing against the eBike itself.  They are really fun and I could see applicable uses for them.  However, much like the whole RAZR/UTV thing, too many irresponsible people are going to use and abuse them and probably ruin it for everyone else.  Is that fair? No, it's not. And to the people who are using them responsibly, hopefully, you don't get screwed. 

I'm going to sell mine, as I doubt I will use it anymore.  It just isn't for me.

Jan. 31, 2021, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Should call them Me bikes.

I don't have time to ride as much as I want so when I ride now I can cover more ground and get more laps in.

All about me.

I think I understand you.

Riders justify an e-bike by saying to themselves "since I am no longer top dog on my local trails or find it too hard to ride uphill (due to injury, regular aging, more life responsibilities etc.) I am justified in buying aids" (that seemed to be the justification to buy an ebike implied by the IFHT video).

Which will only set up an endless progression of buying more aids, since due to "use it or lose it", riding an ebike will not progress their fitness relative to a real bike (riding easy trails slowly would be far better to recover from injuries, rather than being aided up hill so they can charge downhill).

And if they only have x amount of time to ride, why do they have to cover more ground? Maybe they only count challenging riding as real riding? If so, then getting a gravel bike or road bike and riding closer to home would get them more bang for the buck, and prolong or recover their former abilities better.

They might as well just take drugs if they want to keep getting Strava Princess of the Mountains, or keep riding like they did in their 20s, 30s 40s... Will they give up biking or e-biking entirely as they get older, when even the newest most powerful ebike will at most only make them average, or won't make all the pain and effort go away?

Also, for mountain climbing, the use of aids is considered uncool.

Last edited by: taprider on Jan. 31, 2021, 11:41 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 31, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I don't have time to ride as much as I want so when I ride now I can cover more ground and get more laps in.

All about me.

You could say the same thing about any activity that anyone does.

It's not like I go riding for someone else. I don't play video games for someone else. I don't lay on the couch for someone else. I don't go for walks for someone else.

I don't see what you're trying to say, elaborate?

Ok .. ask yourself this. Why get one if you don't have a medical / physical reason? Your answer will be the answer.

For the record I don't hate the emtbs. I just don't get it.... besides just wanting to do way more distance for the fraction of effort seems selfish to me.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 31, 2021, 10:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 31, 2021, 11:32 a.m.

I still don't get it.

Jan. 31, 2021, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

All about me.

You could say the same thing about any activity that anyone does.

It's not like I go riding for someone else. I don't play video games for someone else. I don't lay on the couch for someone else. I don't go for walks for someone else.

I don't see what you're trying to say, elaborate?

Ok .. ask yourself this. Why get one if you don't have a medical / physical reason? Your answer will be the answer.

For the record I don't hate the emtbs. I just don't get it.... besides just wanting to do way more distance for the fraction of effort seems selfish to me.

To be honest I don’t really get the selfish angle either. Nobody is being asked to share anything.

Jan. 31, 2021, 1:53 p.m.

Selfish does not compute, only fun.

All your mountain belong to us.🤖

Actually, I don't mind the class 1's either, if someone's too wussy to pedal a bicycle uphill then so be it. I do trail work with a very solid guy who's not afraid to swing a pick, and he rides one. He's gone from his class 2 to a class 1...so I guess that's a step forward. 

But yeah, for me personally motorized bicycles for recreation just seems absolutely fucking bizarre.

Jan. 31, 2021, 1:55 p.m.

Cause there's a lot of people that enjoy riding but don't necessarily enjoy the climb up? Or maybe they have limited time and want to get in as much riding as they can? I don't necessarily see that as selfish, that depends on how somebody does something and not what they do it with.

Jan. 31, 2021, 5:46 p.m.

"I don't have enough time" is a weak argument to justify anything. We all have exactly 24 hours in a day. People choose how they want to use/prioritize that time. I don't hate motorized bikers, but that argument is pretty hard to respect.

Jan. 31, 2021, 6:16 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

"I don't have enough time" is a weak argument to justify anything. We all have exactly 24 hours in a day. People choose how they want to use/prioritize that time. I don't hate motorized bikers, but that argument is pretty hard to respect.

This is exactly my point. If I go out for a 2 hour ride and cover "x" amount of distance. Who gives a toss that you can get more laps/ distance in on a motorized bike in that two hours? Like that's not good enough?  Just enjoy the moment, enjoy the ride.

Jan. 31, 2021, 6:21 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

You should feel lucky that you have a life that affords you the ability to choose how you use your time. Not everyone is so fortunate even though we all have the same 24hrs.

Jan. 31, 2021, 6:26 p.m.

This is exactly my point. If I go out for a 2 hour ride and cover "x" amount of distance. Who gives a toss that you can get more laps/ distance in on a motorized bike in that two hours? Like that's not good enough?  Just enjoy the moment, enjoy the ride.

Who gives a toss? Maybe the person getting the extra lap in? It's a bit strange that you feel you can decide how other people can choose what's good enough or how to enjoy themselves. Would you raise the same concerns over someone who did a shuttle run? Have you ever ridden Cypress? Did you pedal up or shuttle?