ebikes on the Shore

May 15, 2024, 12:43 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: Squint

Posted by: tashi

as long as they don’t act like a dick while riding them.

This very much. Totally over being aggressively passed on singletrack climbs with no warning, or being expected to part the seas for the e-assisted. Even worse on the road.

Genuine question: What do you expect me to do if I am riding faster than you on my e-commuter bike? Not pass you? I have a bell and always use it when overtaking, so people definitely know I am coming.

I would say the same courtesy as any other bike. An early bell or RIDER ON YOUR LEFT.

Fun e-bike interaction a couple of weeks ago: I was riding the Spirit trail toward Lions Gate near the intersection of Capilano rd. I see a road bike ~20M away coming towards me. Then a dude on an e-bike passes the oncoming rider and continues on his far left swerving around a speed bump, directly in line with me. I figure he's just going to avoid the speed bump and then head back right. I ease off the gas and realize this dude is fully on the throttle (not pedaling), looking down at the handlebars, and wearing full over-ear headphones. I roll off into the narrow grass on the right screaming at this guy. He finally picks his head, has a good panic, and narrowly misses me with a poorly executed hard right - at speed. Of course he also nearly clips the rider that he had passed. Biggest near-miss of the year for me.

I think there is skill involved in maneuvering a bike at high speed. I sometimes wonder if some percentage of the population riding e-assisted bikes has earned the level of bike handling and awareness needed to operate the bike at the speed at which they're traveling.

May 15, 2024, 1:03 p.m.

as long as they don’t act like a dick while riding them.

This very much. Totally over being aggressively passed on singletrack climbs with no warning, or being expected to part the seas for the e-assisted. Even worse on the road.

Genuine question: What do you expect me to do if I am riding faster than you on my e-commuter bike? Not pass you? I have a bell and always use it when overtaking, so people definitely know I am coming.

I do not object to being passed, but being passed unexpectedly, at high speed, too close, without giving time for others to move over, etc etc does not endear me to powered vehicles. Nice of you to ring your bell by my commuting experience has shown me that it's not usually very effective. 

I got passed a while back by an EUC going at least double my speed, he rang a bell basically as he was passing. Not very helpful. 

So to a certain extent yeah, like any cyclist coming upon others who are slower (like pedestrians) you may need to slow down to make your way safely and courteously past. Like, these are basic cyclist vs hiker/pedestrian tactics, not sure why some e-vehicle users think they're above it but sure does seem like some want to keep the throttle flat out all the time.

May 16, 2024, 3:46 p.m.

When I was riding people were shuttling up to CBC in their cars and there were also entrepreneurs running shuttling services on a fee basis as well, so people taking the easy way up the slopes isn't a new thing. Lift supported resorts are pretty much the same in my mind. 

Is shuttling up on an ebike less pure than either or those scenarios? I have trouble seeing much difference.  

Ebike etiquette - totally a different topic.

May 19, 2024, 7:40 p.m.

I expect a safely executed pass with the knowledge and readiness that some riders will not be riding a straight line all the time and could swerve into you.

When I get closely passed literally twice the speed I’m pedalling up any narrow hill, I’m ready to throw sticks into spokes. Think about it this way - do you expect a car to double the speed to pass your speed limit moving car? Take away the safety cage, airbags and seatbelts now and put truck traffic at one side.

I might get to 12-15 kph on a bridge climb. E-bike on full power, 32?

I’ve taken to riding the middle of bridge sidewalks so you have to slow down. Let me know, and Ill be happy to move out of the way.

Last edited by: heckler on May 19, 2024, 7:41 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 22, 2024, 2:26 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

I expect a safely executed pass with the knowledge and readiness that some riders will not be riding a straight line all the time and could swerve into you.

When I get closely passed literally twice the speed I’m pedalling up any narrow hill, I’m ready to throw sticks into spokes. Think about it this way - do you expect a car to double the speed to pass your speed limit moving car? Take away the safety cage, airbags and seatbelts now and put truck traffic at one side.

I might get to 12-15 kph on a bridge climb. E-bike on full power, 32?

I’ve taken to riding the middle of bridge sidewalks so you have to slow down. Let me know, and Ill be happy to move out of the way.

Fair points.  I try never to take people by surprise when I pass them. I know I don't like it when other people do it to me.

June 2, 2024, 6:46 p.m.

Posted by: DirttorpedoMK2

When I was riding people were shuttling up to CBC in their cars and there were also entrepreneurs running shuttling services on a fee basis as well, so people taking the easy way up the slopes isn't a new thing. Lift supported resorts are pretty much the same in my mind. 

Is shuttling up on an ebike less pure than either or those scenarios? I have trouble seeing much difference.  

Ebike etiquette - totally a different topic.

The Hukk Wagon lasted only a short time.  It was fronted by John Henry Bikes.  I don't think you can run a business in a park without a license.  It died despite the fact my riding partner at the time thought the idea was good.  Sad it died.

The issue is not shuttling.  In a shuttle area, the ebike seems good.  In non shuttle areas (think Fromme, Eagle, Burke etc...) my issue is that it is a one trick pony.  And interesting, there are many riders whom only ride Seymour as it is shuttle assist.  This has always been the way.  People whom ride, and really ride, will ride, shuttle or not.  I love shuttling but grind up Seymour: why?  You have to do it on Fromme, Eagle, Burke, Woodlot etc......note this applies to real riders.  If you use an ebike to forgot the up, as I have stated before, you are in the wrong sport.

June 2, 2024, 6:48 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Polymath

Posted by: Henry-Chinaski

You can ride a steep janky rock face on an EUC? Gnarly roots?

I can’t see these things getting much further than groomed bermfests but I’m wrong about all kinds of things so who knows. To me they seem like 2024’s Mountain Board.

This was to my surprise as well. I pulled over to see how they would roll down the little rock outcropping toward the bottom of Expresso. They easily sent the steep part of the rock that sends you down with the tree adjacent to your left handlebar. They're basically on a tire that smears the features extremely well.

I see very few ebikers on janky trails I ride, especially so on Grannies, Bookwus, Crippler and others.  I think that is very telling.  I do, however, see them aplenty at Espresso, Lower Digger, Bobsled, Seventh and Lower Espresso.  Notice a theme?

yes, you are an opiniated *ick

Facts don't have an opinion.

June 2, 2024, 6:51 p.m.

I love shuttling but grind up Seymour: why?  You have to do it on Fromme, Eagle, Burke, Woodlot etc......note this applies to real riders.  If you use an ebike to forgot the up, as I have stated before, you are in the wrong sport.

You might want to look up the definitions of inconsistency and hypocritical in the dictionary.

June 2, 2024, 6:51 p.m.

If this is not enough evidence to get them banned from use in the backcountry (roads are another matter; a fire there is of consequence only to the affected vehicle) then I don't know what is.....and they know it is a problem....I don't know what is worse.

Interesting, that was exactly the opposite conclusion I came to, mostly because the ebikes I see on the trails are of the eye-poppingly expensive variety, from established manufacturers who could provide battery specs. It's the $1500 ones to be concerned about.

As they get more popular I would be more worried about any cost.  Finding a battery at any cost will be the issue and the same battery in a cheap bike will be in an expensive bike as well but packaged well.......I'm not willing to take that risk.

June 3, 2024, 2:19 p.m.

Shuttling and using lifts always seemed the same to me - we always paid for our adrenalin with sweat, but there was definitely demand for an easy way to the top of the hill. The e-mountain bike just seems like the natural progression of the 00 practice. 

My commuter ebike handles like a pig. If the fancy mountain bike versions are the same then it probably limits their use to the faster flowy trails that the sport went to after I retired from it.

June 5, 2024, 8:12 a.m.

They basically ride like regular mountain bikes, tech trails are just fine.

June 5, 2024, 8:41 a.m.

The heavy ones I've tried suck on the dh.  It's all about going up in those things.

June 5, 2024, 9:18 a.m.

Okay, they basically ride like HEAVY mountain bikes.

June 5, 2024, 9:58 a.m.

The new Norco is close to 65 lbs so more like SUPER HEAVY....   the light e-bikes don't have enough range and battery technology really needs to improve.  Solid State battery tech will be the game changer.

June 5, 2024, 12:34 p.m.

Unfortunately. 

Personally I’ve been hoping that these things stay overly expensive and cumbersome so they die a quick “hot new gadget” death.  They’re becoming pretty rad instead.