ebikes on the Shore

Sept. 29, 2022, 11:18 p.m.

https://youtu.be/dE5c3XOPgmc

Sept. 30, 2022, 12:17 a.m.

Squamish?

Sept. 30, 2022, 6:18 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: mammal

I that suppose it's fair to expect 3 x the average trail maintenance/advocacy contribution from ebike riders, since they're wearing down the trails proportionately to the 3 x more trail km's they're riding.

Do you have any data that shows ebike riders are using the trails 3x times as much and causing 3x as much wear as the average mtb'er? Do you have data that shows that the average mtb'er is contributing an appropriate amount of maintenance based on how much they ride?

Regarding 3x as much trail, this is only based on the people I know who ride ebikes. But I think it's fair to roughly project that same capability to what most people's meat-powered average km's that would be covered, and conclude that it's not far off. We could use 2.5 x as a multiplier if your more comfortable with that.

Regarding maintenance data, of course I don't, because we all know this doesn't exist. I think it should be emphasized that e-mtb creates a significantly larger maintenance void that regular mtb, based only on distance of trail covered, and those riders should feel even more pressure to contribute/compensate for that.

Last edited by: mammal on Sept. 30, 2022, 6:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 30, 2022, 8:07 a.m.

Yup, I hear you and don't disagree with the idea that ebikers need to contribute a proportional amount of giving back in light of how much they ride. However I don't think it helps to play the blame game and single out ebike riders. We should be talking about trail work/advocacy/donations as a responsibility to be held by all trail users in a manner that is equitable in relation to their trail use.

Sept. 30, 2022, 8:13 a.m.

Hit the top of the trail on our last group ride absolutely bushed, took out beers and sat around commiserating as middle aged dudes do. My much-less-fit buddy who left the bottom at the same time as us on an e-bike hit the top, then did five loops at the top in the time it took us to climb lol. Dude rode the day before and the day after too, because feeling fresh from lack of exertion why the fuck not.

Honestly I'm generally riding in a rare low traffic area so the extra trail impact isn't absolutely critical like it is on the Shore and hasn't been a problem. 

Problem on this trail nerwork is the fucking Surons showed up along with the class 1s, and those pricks lay down permanent ruts that will absolutely destroy a trail in a single pass.

Spotted one yesterday, no helmet, descending the climbing line. Last time it was climbing the downhill trail. Homer got too far away before I could tell him in 10,000 words or more what an asshole he was.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Sept. 30, 2022, 8:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 30, 2022, 8:19 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Problem on this trail network is the fucking Surons showed up along with the class 1s, and those pricks lay down permanent ruts that will absolutely destroy a trail in a single pass.

Spotted one yesterday, no helmet, descending the climbing line. Last time it was climbing the downhill trail. Got too far away before I could tell him in 10,000 words or more what an asshole he was being.

This is the absolute worst case scenario. A bunch of yahoos show up and ruin everything. My ire for regular ebike use is a mix of low wattage jealousy and self-recrimination but mostly acceptance. But the Surons and Class 1s and am 100% deadset against. That kind of abuse will end decades of advocacy for all of us.

Last edited by: craw on Sept. 30, 2022, 8:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 30, 2022, 8:33 a.m.

Spotted one yesterday, no helmet, descending the climbing line. Last time it was climbing the downhill trail. Homer got too far away before I could tell him in 10,000 words or more what an asshole he was.

lol - this made me laugh. 

I hate the suron types with a passion as well. The worst part is that they are even harder to try and talk any sense to than a regular ebiker. This is where there has to be pressure put on govt to bring in better regs on the use of these things, both at the provincial and municipal levels.

Sept. 30, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

This is where there has to be pressure put on govt to bring in better regs on the use of these things, both at the provincial and municipal levels.

Like this?  

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/signs-signals-regulations.aspx

And this?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/program/policies-strategies

Sept. 30, 2022, 8:58 a.m.

lol - this made me laugh. 

I hate the suron types with a passion as well. The worst part is that they are even harder to try and talk any sense to than a regular ebiker. This is where there has to be pressure put on govt to bring in better regs on the use of these things, both at the provincial and municipal levels.

It's a huge problem in many places.  https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/xru0ij/sur_ronsurrons_at_the_trails_everywhere_what_the/

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:02 a.m.

Mathew Bond for DNV Mayor 

Vote for a very bike friendly mayor on October 15 if you are a DNV resident  

https://www.mathewbond.com

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

This is where there has to be pressure put on govt to bring in better regs on the use of these things, both at the provincial and municipal levels.

Like this?  

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/signs-signals-regulations.aspx

And this?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/program/policies-strategies

Was thinking more along the lines of classifying surons as motorcycles that must be licensed and ridden on the road. Was also think that some sort of enforcement is necessary as rules without enforcement are basically useless.

Sept. 30, 2022, 3:53 p.m.

If people are going to get upset because an ebiker is getting in more laps and degrading the trails then they also have to dislike more people going riding on regular bikes cause that causes more wear on the trails too. It’s hypocritical to dislike increased wear from one group and not dislike it from another.

FWIW, I'm logically consistent and hate both. Everyone talks about the need to grow the sport, but it seems like this neck of the woods is already at saturation point. Bike companies make more money, but at what cost to trail systems and riders? Some companies are great at supporting the trail networks where their bikes are being ridden, helping raise money, donating tools etc others, apparently, couldn't care less. 

Anecdotally, I've never seen an ebike at a volunteer trail night, other than the ones being ridden by the trail crew leading the building.

Sept. 30, 2022, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: BeesIntheTrap

Anecdotally, I've never seen an ebike at a volunteer trail night, other than the ones being ridden by the trail crew leading the building.

I'd rather have people show up to my trail days with a tool in hand, no bike.  Maybe different in your area...

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:24 p.m.

I saw this guy with his electric scooter yesterday. It looked like it had run out of batteries, as he was pushing it. I thought to myself, doesn't he know that it's still a scooter? Like, you can still "scoot" it. Maybe vic wasn't too far off with hos prediction of us all having vestigial limbs one day....

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:44 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Squamish?

Yep