winter tires

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

Watchoo guys do when it starts getting a bit icy out? Black ice can really ruin a day. Anyone ride studded tires here in the GVRD for winter commuting? Or am I talking out of my ass again?

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 6, 2013, 1:08 p.m.

Watchoo guys do when it starts getting a bit icy out? Black ice can really ruin a day. Anyone ride studded tires here in the GVRD for winter commuting? Or am I talking out of my ass again?

I get into my truck and drive to work. :D

Dec. 6, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

best advice for commuting in winter conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9fNFBaTPGo
for tires, lower pressure and higher volume provide more surface contact with the road and therefor traction. narrow hard tires are better for riding in soft/wet snow, as they cut through the crap to find what ground/traction is available

nothing's going to save you from black ice except luck, a good tripod or staying cool in a 2-wheeled drift

spiked tires are only good for riding on ice or hard-packed snow. no point in the gvrd

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 6, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

Just got back from a 1200km trip up the Coquihalla and the Connector. The road was all compact snow and ice and man was I glad I had studded snow tires on my truck. I think studs are overkill - but if you need them just once, they are worth the $60 for your safety

Dec. 6, 2013, 11:52 p.m.

As stated above, nothing will save you on black ice except a good prayer. For most of the conditions that can be considered 'winter' around the Lower Mainland I use these :

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/winter/TopCONTACTWinterIIPremium_en.html

Kind of like Blizzaks for your bike!

Dec. 7, 2013, 8:42 a.m.

In all seriousness. I don't ride when black ice is likely. I'll wait to ride off road at night. Studded tires I guess would help some but they are heavy and shitty in other respects. Lower psi, ride well travelled routes where traffic minimizes ice or where streets have been salted. I noticed broadway was brined yesterday.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 9, 2013, 11:20 a.m.

As stated above, nothing will save you on black ice except a good prayer. For most of the conditions that can be considered 'winter' around the Lower Mainland I use these :

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/winter/TopCONTACTWinterIIPremium_en.html

Kind of like Blizzaks for your bike!

Ah, that's cool. Probably what I should get.

I saw a guy ride by my house this morning and by the time I ran down the driveway to see what he was on he was gone.

So someone's out there in half an inch of snow riding to work.
:)

Not me, I drove.
:shhh:

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 9, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

I have to ride home tonight on my 23cc road tires…..yikes

Dec. 9, 2013, 3:54 p.m.

May the Shwartz be with you!!

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

As has been said, studs are kind of overkill for Vancouver and the two days a year you actually need them. If it's a bit snowy, I just take the mountain bike. If it's icy, I am taking the bus.

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:21 a.m.

You still alive brah?

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 10, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Buster, do you live near the Ontario Street bike route? if it was around 8:00 it could have been me… Same thing today, but fewer people outr on the bike. Looks like much of it is gone here in the City today.

Dont mind riding in the snow, makes it interesting and keeps you honest.

for the record, I am not on 23cc road tires. Got a nice set of 32cc cyclocross tire and discs. Quite a nice upgrade from the Kona Jake i rocked for the past 4 years.

Dec. 10, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

Buster, do you live near the Ontario Street bike route? if it was around 8:00 it could have been me… Same thing today, but fewer people outr on the bike. Looks like much of it is gone here in the City today.

Dont mind riding in the snow, makes it interesting and keeps you honest.

for the record, I am not on 23cc road tires. Got a nice set of 32cc cyclocross tire and discs. Quite a nice upgrade from the Kona Jake i rocked for the past 4 years.

No but if I did I would refer to it as Onterrible Street.

Good call on the cyclocross tires.
:coo:

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 10, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

I rode into downtown via 10th and Yukon yesterday and today on the stock slicks from my Giant Seek. Being careful with where I put my tires kept me out of trouble, but I miss the Winter Contis I had on my Seek that was stolen :(

Dec. 11, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

Anyone put miles on the Michelin Stargrip yet? Hakkapeliitta's for your bike?

http://exhibition.ifdesign.de/entrydetails_en.html?beitrag_id=104598

MICHELIN StarGrip - The new all-seasons tire with a unique tread With the new StarGrip Michelin has developed an all-seasons bicycle tire that delivers exceptional grip and traction on wet surfaces. To be launched in November 2012, the tire has already been subjected to a range of tests and has impressed initial users by its superior handling on damp, snow-covered and icy surfaces. The tire integrates Michelin’s patented “star tread” pattern, developed for Michelin’s all-seasons car tires and now applied to bicycle tires. The rubber in the tread is also built to withstand very low temperatures.