who's wrong? the cyclist or the car?

June 23, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

^- respect!

June 23, 2015, 11:57 a.m.

^- respect!

well, that's not my photo. and to be honest i won't use a pedestrian light as my own personal traffic light when i'm driving.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

no they don't just keep walking they need to stop, but if there is no traffic at the stop sign they can proceed.

my understanding is that the red light effectively becomes a 4 way stop for pedestrians and they can cross on the red light if there are no cars at the stop sign.

the issue though is cars just blowing thru the stop like they have a green light which they do not.

You're absolutely right about the main issue. But technically peds are not allowed to cross against a red light.

It would be damn near impossible to change all ped\bike actuated signals into full signals. Putting the cost aside… people living on neighbourhood streets fight tooth and nail to not have full signals installed on there streets as it increases traffic on side streets. We'd have to install traffic calming measures to stop people from short cutting all over the place.

PS. Vancouver currently has 374 ped\bike signals with more being installed every year.

June 23, 2015, 4:26 p.m.

You're absolutely right about the main issue. But technically peds are not allowed to cross against a red light.

from what i've read there's some grey context there. i've tried to find an absolute deifnition for pedestrian lights but can't find one.

It would be damn near impossible to change all ped\bike actuated signals into full signals. Putting the cost aside… people living on neighbourhood streets fight tooth and nail to not have full signals installed on there streets as it increases traffic on side streets. We'd have to install traffic calming measures to stop people from short cutting all over the place.

PS. Vancouver currently has 374 ped\bike signals with more being installed every year.

yeah, i see it as highly impractical as well.

ps - are you a police officer or work in traffic management somewhere?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

from what i've read there's some grey context there. i've tried to find an absolute deifnition for pedestrian lights but can't find one.

yeah, i see it as highly impractical as well.

ps - are you a police officer or work in traffic management somewhere?

Ya I work in traffic management with the city.I used to coordinate the program that decides where new ped signals are installed.

This is what we refer to when we're asked about it generally.

Red light
129 (1) Subject to subsection (2), when a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the red light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and subject to the provisions of subsection (3), must not cause the vehicle to proceed until a traffic control signal instructs the driver that he or she is permitted to do so.

(2) The driver of a bus approaching an intersection and facing a red light and a prescribed white rectangular indicator may cause the bus to proceed through the intersection.
(3) Despite subsection (1), and except when a right turn permitted by this subsection is prohibited by a sign at an intersection, the driver of a vehicle facing the red light, and which in obedience to it is stopped as closely as practicable to a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, as closely as practicable to the intersection, may cause the vehicle to make a right turn, but the driver must yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicles lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection.
(4) When a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) a pedestrian facing the red light must not enter the roadway unless instructed that he or she may do so by a pedestrian traffic control signal,

(b) except when a left turn permitted by this paragraph is prohibited by a sign at the intersection, the driver of a vehicle facing the red light at the intersection of not more than 2 highways, and which in obedience to it is stopped as closely as practicable to a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, as closely as practicable to the intersection, may cause the vehicle to make a left turn into a highway on which traffic is restricted to the direction in which he or she causes the vehicle to turn, but the driver must yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicles lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection, and
(C) a pedestrian proceeding across the roadway and facing the red light exhibited after he or she entered the roadway
(i) must proceed to the sidewalk as quickly as possible, and
(ii) has the right of way for that purpose over all vehicles.
(5) When a red light is exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before reaching the signal, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway.

June 24, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

Everybody needs to chill out. If you are in that big of a hurry, you need first and foremost to work on your time management skilz because "I got stuck in traffic" is no excuse for being late on a bike. Red lights and stop signs are there for the sole purpose of practicing track stands/stationary bunny hops/pogos/rolling [HTML_REMOVED] rocking your bike backwards etc. If you don't take advantage of those opportunities, its your loss.