who's wrong? the cyclist or the car?

June 22, 2015, 1:45 p.m.

What's the actual rule on these? 95% of people treat them as a green light, for example Kingsway [HTML_REMOVED] East 10th Ave Bike Way, when the Kingsway light goes red and traffic stops, cyclists and cars on 10th treat it as a green light and roll through unless turning. Some dick yelled at my wife for doing this last week, was he actually right? Tried to look it up in the MVA but couldn't find the right section.

They need to fix these intersections and just put lights in both directions. The set of lights in one direction and stop sign in the opposing direction just adds to the confusion. Technically, yes, you are supposed to stop even though the traffic going the other way is stopped for the red light. No one does it, but I have seen cops to cyclists giving out tickets for failure to stop.

June 22, 2015, 9:27 p.m.

They need to fix these intersections and just put lights in both directions. The set of lights in one direction and stop sign in the opposing direction just adds to the confusion.

do you have any idea how many intersections you are talking about, and how much "just put(ting) lights in" costs? adding a set (2-way) of traffic control lights in vancouver runs around $250k

what is so confusing about a stop sign: it means stop, check that no one with right of way is using the intersection (car, ped, etc.) and then proceed. anyone who finds that "too confusing" probably ought not to be driving

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 22, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

do you have any idea how many intersections you are talking about, and how much "just put(ting) lights in" costs? adding a set (2-way) of traffic control lights in vancouver runs around $250k

what is so confusing about a stop sign: it means stop, check that no one with right of way is using the intersection (car, ped, etc.) and then proceed. anyone who finds that "too confusing" probably ought not to be driving

Why would I need to stop when the vehicles going in the opposite direction have a red light? What am I stopping for? It doesnt make sense. When the other cars have a red light, the opposite direction should be green, not stop. I dont disagree that adding lights might cost something, but expecting people to stop at these stop signs is very counter intuitive.

June 22, 2015, 11:16 p.m.

Dumbass cyclist. Insisting on your ROW all the time is how you get killed.

www.natooke.com

June 23, 2015, 12:16 a.m.

Why would I need to stop when the vehicles going in the opposite direction have a red light? What am I stopping for?

for pedestrians who may be crossing on the red light which they are alowed to do as the stop sign for cross traffic supercedes the red pedestrian light. and because you don't know when the light may turn green. i see people run the stop sign at pedestrian lights all the time and they seem to not understand they they still need to obey the stop sign. i have no issues with people who pull a cali stop at pedestrian lights when they know there is time to get across, but most people don't know how to figure that out. the people that just blow thru the stop sign are dangerous and ignorant.

It doesnt make sense. When the other cars have a red light, the opposite direction should be green, not stop. I dont disagree that adding lights might cost something, but expecting people to stop at these stop signs is very counter intuitive.

it's makes perfect sense for the reasons stated above.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 8:15 a.m.

for pedestrians who may be crossing on the red light which they are alowed to do as the stop sign for cross traffic supercedes the red pedestrian light. and because you don't know when the light may turn green. i see people run the stop sign at pedestrian lights all the time and they seem to not understand they they still need to obey the stop sign. i have no issues with people who pull a cali stop at pedestrian lights when they know there is time to get across, but most people don't know how to figure that out. the people that just blow thru the stop sign are dangerous and ignorant.

Actually, you do know when the light is going to turn green. All the lights have the countdown timer on the pedestrian light, so you know when it is going to change.
I agree with the Cali stop, which is how I treat them. I cover my brake to cover my ass at every one of them. My point is, these intersections would be safer for ALL users (cars, pedestrians, cyclists) if there were lights in both directions.

June 23, 2015, 8:44 a.m.

we all abide by whichever laws we choose to obey. its called common sense and I would say most cyclists use it because I have seen exactly 0% come to a stop in this situation.

I also am guilty of driving 20k an hour over the speedlimit on highway 1, jaywalking on empty streets and cracking a beer in a parkinglot after a ride.

June 23, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

for pedestrians who may be crossing on the red light which they are alowed to do as the stop sign for cross traffic supercedes the red pedestrian light.

Peds just keep walking across the red? No peds do this! They know they will get hit.

At some intersections, if it worked like that, there would be enough of a flow of peds and exactly zero cars would get through. (anywhere on west 4th or Broadway).

June 23, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

The stop sign does not supersede the red light. Peds should be not be crossing against a red light. Cars\bikes should be stopping at the stop sign as well though.

June 23, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

Actually, you do know when the light is going to turn green. All the lights have the countdown timer on the pedestrian light, so you know when it is going to change.
I agree with the Cali stop, which is how I treat them. I cover my brake to cover my ass at every one of them. My point is, these intersections would be safer for ALL users (cars, pedestrians, cyclists) if there were lights in both directions.

yes some of them, but not all of them. there are still plenty of pedestrian lights that don't have the countdown timer on them. either way you still need to stop or at least make the attempt. the problem i see with having a 4-way light though is that you get a red light for the cross traffic that will only change when a pedestrian pushed the button so a car could be stuck there for a long time. at least with a stop, the car can proceed when safe.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 10:11 a.m.

Peds just keep walking across the red? No peds do this! They know they will get hit.

At some intersections, if it worked like that, there would be enough of a flow of peds and exactly zero cars would get through. (anywhere on west 4th or Broadway).

no they don't just keep walking they need to stop, but if there is no traffic at the stop sign they can proceed.

The stop sign does not supersede the red light. Peds should be not be crossing against a red light. Cars\bikes should be stopping at the stop sign as well though.

my understanding is that the red light effectively becomes a 4 way stop for pedestrians and they can cross on the red light if there are no cars at the stop sign.

the issue though is cars just blowing thru the stop like they have a green light which they do not.

Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 10:33 a.m.

yes some of them, but not all of them. there are still plenty of pedestrian lights that don't have the countdown timer on them. either way you still need to stop or at least make the attempt. the problem i see with having a 4-way light though is that you get a red light for the cross traffic that will only change when a pedestrian pushed the button so a car could be stuck there for a long time. at least with a stop, the car can proceed when safe.

The cyclists have a button to change the light, so they can put sensors in for the cars while they are putting up the new lights. Yes, yes….more money. Alternatively, they can put the lights on timers (like every other traffic light out there).

June 23, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

The cyclists have a button to change the light, so they can put sensors in for the cars while they are putting up the new lights. Yes, yes….more money. Alternatively, they can put the lights on timers (like every other traffic light out there).

well a sensor would effectively make the pedestrian light a regular traffic light. traffic would be chaos in some places if every pedestrian light became a regular traffic light.

Ellen Langer

June 23, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

The cyclists have a button to change the light, so they can put sensors in for the cars while they are putting up the new lights..

c'mon, man, just jump outta your car and hit the button like the rest of us! lol @ the mad dash around the car in the rain…(cuz it's not a prob when its sunny and lots of ppl are walkin.)

June 23, 2015, 10:59 a.m.

c'mon, man, just jump outta your car and hit the button like the rest of us! lol @ the mad dash around the car in the rain…(cuz it's not a prob when its sunny and lots of ppl are walkin.)

pffffft! amateur

Ellen Langer