What commuting in China looks like...

Nov. 9, 2014, 5:25 p.m.

So is it true that it's illegal for a foreigner to own/ ride a motorcycle in China?

No.

Some cities it's illegal for anyone to ride a motorcycle though, Tianjin included. Having said that I used to have one. Rode around on it for about two years then sold it. That should tell you how strictly bylaws are enforced here.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 9, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

It's just that my son was telling me that an acquaintance of his who is living in China got his motorcycle confiscated by the cops because they found out he was a foreigner.

Thread killer

Nov. 11, 2014, 8:16 p.m.

It's just that my son was telling me that an acquaintance of his who is living in China got his motorcycle confiscated by the cops because they found out he was a foreigner.

Well maybe, different cities have different laws. But I find it very hard to believe that there any foreigner specific motorcycle laws. Foreigners can get driver's licenses in China and own cars so… it could have just been some racist cops acting on their own regardless of the actual law, which does happen. Or your son's acquaintance was going around being a jackass and making trouble which happens a lot too. Foreigners like that don't usually last long here.

It's pretty easy for people in China to delude themselves and think something was done to them "because they were a foreigner." I've been guilty of it myself.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 15, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

How prevalent is drinking and driving in China (Hong Kong)?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 15, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

How prevalent is drinking and driving in China (Hong Kong)?

On the mainland it's very prevalent, in fact they only started doing random road checks this year.

Not sure about HK though. Likely more comparable to North America.

Craziest thing I ever saw was a car speeding through an intersection pushing a bicycle sans cyclist that was wedged under the front bumper. It was really loud and sparks were flying everywhere. Driver did not give a single fuck. I've also been driven home by drunk cops more than once.

www.natooke.com