Volvo Lifepaint

April 11, 2015, 2:53 p.m.

I thought this was cool and wanted to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWzeGlaFvI
I don't fully understand why Volvo's being criticized for "victim blaming" in this article. I'm in no way offended by seeing a new product that can make me more visible.

Reflective properties last about 10 days. Availability and price will determine popularity I suppose.

April 11, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

Looks pretty cool. Would be nice if it were a little more permanent.

I like how the only accident they portray is a cyclist slamming into the rear end of a car. As if "lifepaint" would prevent cycling with excessive speed in congested auto traffic and cyclist inattention. That needs the next product up the line, Volvo fuckingpayattentionyoudouchepaint.

April 12, 2015, 1:22 a.m.

I think I get why people criticize it. Yes, cyclists have to be visible (and I can't understand the idiots who cycle without lights at night), and reflective/bright clothing makes us more visible (I always suspected that was one of the reasons for roadie clothes' garish colors).
But: Where I live, helmets are not mandatory, but a lot of cyclists wear them anyway. Already, when someone sustains a head injury in an accident that was not their fault (i.e. getting hit by a car) there's the attitude "meh, he/she should have worn a helmet". True, but it's a slippery slope, and it would have been much better if the motorist would not have hit them. So, safety gear can generate a "quasi-standard" and indeed help to shift blame to the victim. If someone hits a cyclist who was riding and equipped according to local traffic laws, there should be no "but he could have worn a reflective vest and she should have worn a helmet, plus the bike could have been coated in reflective paint, and if they had had a police-level flashlight on their helmet as well, then maybe, just maybe the driver would hae looked up from his cell phone in time" debate.
Yes, cyclists cause accidents too, but I think there was even a study that showed that the percentage of cyclists being at fault in accidents is lower than usually perceived. Still, if I ride like an ahole and get run over, I'm the one who's dead. If someone drives like an ahole and runs me over, I'm still the one who gets killed. Oh well, enough blabbering, let's go for a ride.

April 13, 2015, 6:31 a.m.

Rustoleum makes retroreflective paint.

www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/reflective-finish-spray/

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 28, 2015, 11:13 a.m.

Sugoi makes jackets that do that…some sort of microscopic glass bead in the fabric that when hit with light does the ghost thing.

Wrong. Always.

May 28, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Its pretty cool, but I'd have to wonder how it affects existing paint and everything. I'd be cool with it on my commuter, but not much else, I mean, I didn't go out and buy a bunch of matching anodised parts to possibly ruin the coating on them….and if it washes off…how environmentally friendly is that?