Violent Assault On Vancouver Cyclist? (merged)

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:50 p.m.

1st ave is the worst for that. i passed some pinhead going up first ave from clark the other night dressed in dark clothing, no helmet and a useless as tits on a bull light on the rear of his bike. i just shook my head and wondered how dum can people get.

Was it a fixie? I bet it was.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:55 p.m.

And as always when it comes the bike lanes dogma type threads. It degrades to a Who Is the More Morally Self Righteous dick measuring contest.

it's not about self righteousness, it's about doing what works best for EVERYONE. there are times when it's practical to share the roads and times when it's not, so make smart choices instead of being a pinhead.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 5:32 p.m.

And as always when it comes the bike lanes dogma type threads. It degrades to a Who Is the More Morally Self Righteous dick measuring contest.

Hey,you started this thread. What value was there in that,other than knowing it would turn into the same old endless debate?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 28, 2014, 5:41 p.m.

then pick a better route! i can totally understand it on side streets and am happy to give way and share the road in those situations, but don't go clogging up main routes with that bullshit. the militant cyclist attitude that arises at times is a joke and only helps to fuel anger and disregard towards cyclists in general. it's fucking stupid and not helping matters. poke around on a few other non-cycling related boards and there's a slew of people saying things like "that dirty hipster got what he deserved." the cycling community needs to do better job of working with vehicular traffic, not against it.

Couldn't agree more. Life is about sharing.

Dedicated bike lanes make my commute a little bit longer, but I'm OK with that. Cycling down Granville street (not downtown) during rush hour? You deserve the maiming you will no doubt receive if you play that game long enough.

Jan. 28, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

This thread started with one-sided conjecture and no verified facts. What did you expect?

Jan. 28, 2014, 6:02 p.m.

This thread started with one-sided conjecture and no verified facts. What did you expect?

Expected the same results. Reality is as I have discovered in dealing with those who follow the "Bike Lanes Are The Cure" dogma types is they are as narrow minded in their views as drivers.

Reality is drivers these days like the rest of our society in general are more in a hurry, less patient, and more self absorbed then ever. Long gone is the overall etiquette we used to have. Pedestrians now days think that pedestrian laws supercede Laws of Physics, drivers believe driving is some Human Right, and cyclists are the great Infidel to all.

This is made even worse by the internet as it gives a pulpit to those who are offended by whatever some guy in a car or bike did. Or something someone said becomes spun into something completely different by haters.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 28, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

maybe we should merge this with the "how to be a road biker" thread?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 6:43 p.m.

Was it a fixie? I bet it was.

You get a ticket for riding a geared bike downtown if you have a beard and wear horn-rimmed glasses. The fine is the dollar cost of a sixer of your favourite craft beer. The VPD Hipster Squad are really hard-ass and make no exceptions on this.

Jan. 28, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

it made the ctv news today..

Jan. 28, 2014, 9:19 p.m.

14 years ago getting to work was a like being on another planet compared to now in Vancouver.

I Remember the Lions gate before they re-decked it. width of 1.5 feet and nothing between you and the cars ducking every bus mirror that came by. Almost no bike lanes of any kind in the downtown core. Almost everyone, honking at you and yelling to get off the road. People throwing cans, bottles or whatever out the window at you.

The ride in to work was border line suicide no matter what route you choose and the open hostility was palpable.

Today riding to work I can almost do the entire 30km from the north shore to UBC on ether separated bike lanes or dedicated bike routes.

I have not been hit by a vehicle in 4 years now.

And its people like Greg Robertson who have the forward vision on this, and why he was re-elected.

Its the few isolated incidents that make front page headlines and crazy ass troll comments in the online news forums that gives the perception that its worse than ever, when the exact opposite is true.

I am much more respected on the road now and given a wide berth for the most part.

Jan. 28, 2014, 10 p.m.

i also like that there was some bystander intervention. They stopped the beating but also said they would get the stuff back if he took it.

Those two guys are rockstars. Even using "Gentlemen" when addressing the two dickheads. Way to go bystanders!

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Jan. 28, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

And its people like Greg Robertson who have the forward vision on this, and why he was re-elected.

You're giving moonbeam too much credit. Lions Gate was done well before him. His bike initiatives include

- 'temporary' bike lanes at the expense of business
- offering $6 million to a now bankrupt company for a useless bike share program
- tax payers funding the privatization of Point Grey Rd, Gregors neighbourhood, a private road for the most wealthy

I give gredit for improvements in the cycling infrastructure, but like LGB and the currend 2nd Narrows work, the good stuff had nothing to do with the current mayor.

Jan. 28, 2014, 10:53 p.m.

I hate bike lanes as they simply can't be everywhere and where they eventually end you confront car driver who has to then begrudgingly adjust to cyclist on the road. It's like those big arrows on the highway on that bend near Cap road, why there? Why not other bends in the road? You're taking the responsibility away from the driver and place it in the road safety infrastructure people's hands.

Crap logic.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Jan. 28, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

You're giving moonbeam too much credit. Lions Gate was done well before him. His bike initiatives include

- 'temporary' bike lanes at the expense of business
- offering $6 million to a now bankrupt company for a useless bike share program
- tax payers funding the privatization of Point Grey Rd, Gregors neighbourhood, a private road for the most wealthy

I give gredit for improvements in the cycling infrastructure, but like LGB and the currend 2nd Narrows work, the good stuff had nothing to do with the current mayor.

I said "And its people like"

To many names to list them all that have helped make Vancouver one of the greenest cities in North America.

And I really dislike the term moonbeam. It just makes people who use it petty.

Jan. 29, 2014, 3:11 a.m.

I used to bike to work downtown. When I first started doing it, what an experience. Drivers would have complete contempt for me on the road. After a couple rides I realized they thought I was a courier. That explained things, as other jobs had me driving a fair bit in the downtown core and couriers were all over the road and sidewalks with zero regard for automobiles or pedestrians. Commuters ended up getting the flack from disgruntled drivers, even when being courteous.

Nowadays when road biking most drivers are pretty good. There's the odd time someone is in a big hurry and doesn't yield, but otherwise if I stick to the outside of the road lane, or in the bike lane, there's rarely issue. I've had more issues riding up Seymour road when passengers in cars swear or spit or toss garbage at me.

One issue I have with riding the roads is that any road debris is swept to the side of the road, typically where the cyclists are supposed to ride. If a bicycle had automobile tires it would be OK, but they don't so flats occur too frequently. Another issue is that there are areas where bicycle access has been improved upon (which is great) but often the small sections joining the area hasn't been adjusted. It ends up being a sketchy area where getting between the cycling areas is slightly hazardous.

Glad to see that they're going to fix up Iron Workers bridge. It would be great if they could stick some kind of underpass at each end (like on Lions Gate) so that each side of the bridge would only be for one direction of pedestrian/cycling traffic.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells