Violent Assault On Vancouver Cyclist? (merged)

Jan. 31, 2014, 10:52 p.m.

Sounds like the other side of the story…somewhere in the middle the truth must lie.

Hey, wait-COASTING !??!?! So it wasn't even a hipster fixie ride?

my sources are quite reliable and i trust their judgement more than what's been said by the guy on the bike. also, seeing as douchebag courier has changed his story a few times and his original story didn't line up with the vid that got posted afterwards i'm more inclined to think that the truth rests much closer to the story i've gotten than what that slipper wearing knob has been lying about.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2014, 8:50 a.m.

Aha! I see said the blind man.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

Sounds like the other side of the story…somewhere in the middle the truth must lie.

Hey, wait-COASTING !??!?! So it wasn't even a hipster fixie ride?

Yeah, I doubt that piece of evidence will stand up under legal scrutiny. "Members of the jury. Look at my client on the stand. Beard, Buddy Holly glasses, skinny jeans, plaid-shirt-over-ironic-tee-shirt, canvas sneakers. Coasting? Which one of these doesn't belong? If the gear was fixed, you must dismiss. I rest my case".

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

- cyclist was in the far left lane, not the bike lane.
- cyclist was in the middle of that lane and muthafucking COASTING down the street.
- driver was stuck behind him but decided to just follow and not honk or anything.
- the parties get to the corner of hornby and dunsmuir where there's a red light.
- driver wants to turn left but can't because said cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane preventing the driver from turning left when there were a few opportunities to do so.

I just need some info. Is this a one way street? and are you allowed to turn left on a red light?
I'm a little confused as usual.

Feb. 1, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

I just need some info. Is this a one way street? and are you allowed to turn left on a red light?
I'm a little confused as usual.

yes, hornby is one way northbound and dunsmuir is one way west bound so you are allowed to make a left hand turn at the red light.

http://goo.gl/maps/Oe0H0

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

yes, hornby is one way northbound and dunsmuir is one way west bound so you are allowed to make a left hand turn at the red light.

http://goo.gl/maps/Oe0H0

Yes the cyclist is a thoughtless dick. I'm sure even if he wanted to stay in the left lane he could have positioned him self so the driver could make his left turn.

Feb. 1, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

Yes the cyclist is thoughtless. I'm sure even if he wanted to stay in the left lane he could have positioned him self so the driver could make his left turn.

i have the same issue with cyclists who straddle the two lanes next to the curb. i understand they think they're making it easier for right turing traffic on the curb lane, but what if someone is going straight? it's creates an unecessary issue. stay to the curb and hang back a bit from the lead car at the light and there's no confusion for anyone.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

Traffic is a little lighter out here in Abby. If we have a four lane road, I will stop on the white line between lanes. It allows folks to turn right and does not interfere with the left lane. Once someone going strait takes the right turn lane. I will move to the middle of the right lane. If traffic is snarling I will just take my place inline behind traffic in the right lane. I am a firm believer in claiming your lane. Once through the intersection, I will mover over and let folks pass, if I feel safe.

Feb. 2, 2014, 9:15 a.m.

- driver wants to turn left but can't because said cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane preventing the driver from turning left when there were a few opportunities to do so.

How fast was the traffic on Dunsmuir going? And how long was this light? Seems like a moronic, idiotic thing to get pissed about, both the driver and the cyclist reactions. Like the kid who just shot his sister for bleaching his clothes. Give your heads a shake people.

Feb. 2, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

How fast was the traffic on Dunsmuir going? And how long was this light? Seems like a moronic, idiotic thing to get pissed about, both the driver and the cyclist reactions. Like the kid who just shot his sister for bleaching his clothes. Give your heads a shake people.

i guess you missed the part where i said the driver had a few opportunities to go but couldn't because the cyclist was blocking him. it was ignorant and selfish beahviour on the cyclists part.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 2, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

i guess you missed the part where i said the driver had a few opportunities to go but couldn't because the cyclist was blocking him. it was ignorant and selfish beahviour on the cyclists part.

See "How fast was the traffic on Dunsmuir going?". An "opportunity" - in whose opinion? Your friend's. An "opportunity" as in turning on a green light? Or a red light at a 1-way/1-way intersection? I don't know your friend. And getting soooo upset having to wait for a traffic stop? Some people are such fucked-up crybabies. The whole thing escalating is also ridiculous (both participants), unless you think someone's "opportunities" to turn or lack thereof at a traffic stop is worth sorting out with a physical altercation.

Feb. 2, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Dunsmuir Street has been ruined by the empty bike lane. It used to be a flowing artery.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 2, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

See "How fast was the traffic on Dunsmuir going?". An "opportunity" - in whose opinion? Your friend's. An "opportunity" as in turning on a green light? Or a red light at a 1-way/1-way intersection? I don't know your friend. And getting soooo upset having to wait for a traffic stop? Some people are such fucked-up crybabies. The whole thing escalating is also ridiculous (both participants), unless you think someone's "opportunities" to turn or lack thereof at a traffic stop is worth sorting out with a physical altercatio.

there were enough openings in the traffic that guy in the car could have made the turn a few times. it was a left turn at a red light on a 1way/1way intersection.

please explain to me why it's acceptable to inconvenience someone else for your own selfish needs when you have other options available that would not inconveniece the other person.

the cyclist had a couple of options:

- he could have hugged the curb and sat back from the corner a bit
- or if he didn't feel safe with that he could have used the bike lane on hornby to cross dunsmuir and then waited for the west bound light on dunsmuir to turn green so he could continue.

myself, depending on the time of day and the level of traffic i might choose either option. when i'm at intersections i stay to the curb and make of point of checking cars behind me to see if they're turning right. depending on the traffic and pedestrian situation i'll make room for a right turner to go. it's not difficult, just requires a little thinking.

i agree that the altercation was stupid, but it didn't need to go beyond a little bit of shouting. the cyclist took it to the next level when he decided to try and damage the driver's car.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 2, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

Duncan it sucks that this happened and that stuff like this probably happens regularly, it just doesn't always make the news. so could it have been avoided on both fronts? yes i'll agree to that.

what i can't agree with though is people not taking the time to be considerate of other people's needs and inconveniecing them because they're too wrapped up in their own little sphere of importance. i put this cyclist's behaviour in the same scope as people who don't bother to look behind them when going through a door to see if there's someone else there, not holding an elevator for someone when they're maybe 10-15 seconds away, not blocking intersections in your car when traffic is back up and the list goes on and on and on and on. you're not necessarily required to do some of these things, but it's rude and inconsiderate when you don't.

so yeah maybe the guy in the car shouldn't have yelled and maybe the guy on the bike should have thought about more than just himself.

think of it this way, if the cyclist had made a point of positioning himself so the driver could turn left maybe the guy in the car would have given him a wave of thanks and then everybody is happy. doesn't that sound like a better solution?

Ellen Langer

Feb. 2, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

there were enough openings in the traffic that guy in the car could have made the turn a few times. it was a left turn at a red light on a 1way/1way intersection.

please explain to me why it's acceptable to inconvenience someone else for your own selfish needs when you have other options available that would not inconveniece the other person.

the cyclist had a couple of options:

- he could have hugged the curb and sat back from the corner a bit
- or if he didn't feel safe with that he could have used the bike lane on hornby to cross dunsmuir and then waited for the west bound light on dunsmuir to turn green so he could continue.

myself, depending on the time of day and the level of traffic i might choose either option. when i'm at intersections i stay to the curb and make of point of checking cars behind me to see if they're turning right. depending on the traffic and pedestrian situation i'll make room for a right turner to go. it's not difficult, just requires a little thinking.

i agree that the altercation was stupid, but it didn't need to go beyond a little bit of shouting. the cyclist took it to the next level when he decided to try and damage the driver's car.

I always love how people like you come out of the wood work with their Monday Morning Armchair Expertise on incidents like this. And nothing is worse then the handful of cyclists stepping on their pedestals with their "Your selfish cyclists" holier then thou drivel.

Hug the curb? Brilliant, may as well ride on the side walk while I'm at it. Would be safer then waiting for the selfish driver in a rush to squeeze me into the curb or do the right hook.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/