Violent Assault On Vancouver Cyclist? (merged)

Jan. 28, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

I would prefer an enforced three foot law. Where cars must give three feet of clearance to the cyclist. Most roads widths allow this for motor traffic, and they are protected by 3000 lbs of metal.

Make it a meter or better yet five feet. But with out enforcement, it would be useless.

I do believe in some places, where cars and bikes must mix. Bike lanes can be a benefit to cyclists. But I prefer to use the road like a motorcycle, and take a lane. Once the traffic is slowed down behind me I'll move over and let them pass. If I feel safe. If an intersection is coming up I'll keep the lane until I'm through it.

Jan. 28, 2014, 3:43 p.m.

Pretty heavy scene.. Those bystanders took a chance for sure.. He def says radio.. Maybe a cop? Nice car …

Now on another note. At least the Mercedes Driving douchebag didn't decide to pull a Pitbull Bryant and endanger others on the street and sidewalks. But does not at all justify any one's behaviour.

Douchbag is driving a Dodge. No wonder he's so full of anger. But what led up to the confrontation?

Thank you for realizing he's driving a POS Dodge, not a "nice" car or Mercedes :p

Jan. 28, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

I would prefer an enforced three foot law. Where cars must give three feet of clearance to the cyclist. Most roads widths allow this for motor traffic, and they are protected by 3000 lbs of metal.

Make it a meter or better yet five feet. But with out enforcement, it would be useless.

I do believe in some places, where cars and bikes must mix. Bike lanes can be a benefit to cyclists. But I prefer to use the road like a motorcycle, and take a lane. Once the traffic is slowed down behind me I'll move over and let them pass. If I feel safe. If an intersection is coming up I'll keep the lane until I'm through it.

that's the type of entitlement that drives drivers nuts, especially on narrow streets. 3-5ft? that's essentially a whole lane as there's not enough room for you, 3ft and a car in a standard city lane.

imo as a cyclist you should be doing what you can to not impede vehicular traffic.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 3:55 p.m.

imo as a cyclist you should be doing what you can to not impede vehicular traffic.

that's the type of entitlement that drives cyclists nuts, especially on narrow streets

car commuters don't need any help being driven nuts: their commute does that for them

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:02 p.m.

that's the type of entitlement that drives cyclists nuts, especially on narrow streets

car commuters don't need any help being driven nuts: their commute does that for them

i guess we'll never see eye to eye on this but it's not like i'm just making this shit up. i've commuted a lot by bike around this city for work and plan routes so as to avoid traffic heavy streets. sure the roads need to be shared, but cyclists as a whole need to do a far better job in how we use the roads. whether it's driving or riding, i see stupid cyclist shit everywhere.

what gives a cyclsit a right to crawl along a narrow road and hold up a line of cars? it's selfish entitlement behaviour, dangerous and in some circumstances just down right stupid.

you're completely right that car commuters don't need any help being driven nuts, so why would a cyclsit want to add to that and increase the danger to themselves?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:10 p.m.

That video is a really good tutorial on how to turtle in a fight.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

then pick a better route! i can totally understand it on side streets and am happy to give way and share the road in those situations, but don't go clogging up main routes with that bullshit. the militant cyclist attitude that arises at times is a joke and only helps to fuel anger and disregard towards cyclists in general. it's fucking stupid and not helping matters. poke around on a few other non-cycling related boards and there's a slew of people saying things like "that dirty hipster got what he deserved." the cycling community needs to do better job of working with vehicular traffic, not against it.

and that's said as a cycling commuter, not a car driver.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:22 p.m.

that's the type of entitlement that drives drivers nuts, especially on narrow streets. 3-5ft? that's essentially a whole lane as there's not enough room for you, 3ft and a car in a standard city lane.

I think the volume vehicular traffic, does enough to slow traffic down.
I will not ride in the gutter. It just gives the texting while driving, driver your permission to ignore you and speed by. I woke up in the hospital because I was riding in the gutter. All current commuters in any biking city will tell you your safest bet is to take a lane. Especially if your going down hill at speed. In the middle of the road you will be seen sooner by traffic entering your road from the right. If I'm going uphill. I try and ride on the sidewalk as long as there are no pedestrians.
As far as taking the whole lane goes. Most roads have at least two lanes. Change lanes or wait. How often do you see drivers stopped in the turning lane on a four lane road at a red light and the other lane is empty. Drivers do way more to impede traffic than any bikes.

I do agree, cyclists should do what they can not to impede traffic. I use the word impede in stead of slow for a reason. Most traffic is exceeding the speed limits, most of the time.

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:26 p.m.

Check it out.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/safely-passing-bicyclists.aspx

If more poorly educated Americans can do it I'm sure Canadians can as well. We are just a little behind as usual.

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:27 p.m.

You got that right. Can anyone say road rage.

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

…POS Dodge, not a "nice" car or Mercedes :p

compared to what i drive it isn't too bad…

/now i feel bad about my car…thnx bud..whimper

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

Check it out.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/safely-passing-bicyclists.aspx

If the more poorly educated Americans can do it I'm Canadians can as well. We are just a little behind as usual.

it's a good idea and something i'd support and try to do anyways when i'm driving, but there are many busy single lane roads where it's not really practical - especially if there are other good alternatives close by.

i think what gets my goat the most is seeing the crawlers on busy roads when just a block or two one way or the other there's a designated bike route. 1st ave is the worst for that. i passed some pinhead going up first ave from clark the other night dressed in dark clothing, no helmet and a useless as tits on a bull light on the rear of his bike. i just shook my head and wondered how dum can people get.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

And as always when it comes the bike lanes dogma type threads. It degrades to a Who Is the More Morally Self Righteous dick measuring contest.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

That video is a really good tutorial on how to turtle in a fight.

the one guy looks like a buck 40 and the other guy possibly 200? he shoulda dropped the hammer and sped away..maybe his single gear fixxie dropped the chain?

Jan. 28, 2014, 4:38 p.m.

then pick a better route! i can totally understand it on side streets and am happy to give way and share the road in those situations, but don't go clogging up main routes with that bullshit. the militant cyclist attitude that arises at times is a joke and only helps to fuel anger and disregard towards cyclists in general. it's fucking stupid and not helping matters. poke around on a few other non-cycling related boards and there's a slew of people saying things like "that dirty hipster got what he deserved." the cycling community needs to do better job of working with vehicular traffic, not against it.

and that's said as a cycling commuter, not a car driver.

Driver or not, that is the brain dead train of thought that is common with road raged drivers. If you think putting your self in danger is a solution. Go for it, but I will not endanger my self, just so some driver can arrive two minutes earlier. I don't even have a car insured and commute 100% of the time. Not more than a week ago a driver cut me off and wedged me into the curb, Then got out of his truck. The first thing I said was "go ahead and punch me". Holding out my chin out, so he could get a good first punch. He declined and got a tongue lashing. While his wife tried to get him back in the truck.