Violent Assault On Vancouver Cyclist? (merged)

Jan. 27, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

Here we go again.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1110699/vpd-say-facebook-photos-of-alleged-road-rage-incident-paint-an-incomplete-picture/

https://www.facebook.com/lucille.austero.5/media_set?set=a.10150360045319997.1073741829.501039996[HTML_REMOVED]type=1

Edward was accosted by a driver while turning left from Hornby onto Dunsmuir. The driver then attempted to drive his car into Edward while yelling at him causing him have to make evasive action and crash into the sidewalk. This resulted in Edward flipping over his handlebars.

After a minor verbal confrontation, with Edward standing beside the car, the driver grabbed Edward's hand, which was resting on his passenger side door, pulled him inside the vehicle and said "I have 15 years of Martial Arts training and I'm going to fuck you up". Edward managed to free himself and grabbed some papers off the passenger seat and threw them onto the sidewalk. The driver surged his car forward and attempted again to run Edward over with his vehicle and then got out and proceeded to assault Edward in front of several witnesses. It took approx. 5-6 people to pull the driver off of him.

The police were called by witnesses and it took 15-30 minutes for them to arrive, during which time the driver was texting and making quiet calls on his phone. Upon arrival, officers proceeded to spend approx 10 minutes talking with the driver while Edward sat alone, bleeding and in shock from his injuries. The first question the police officer asked Edward, before he was allowed to make his statement, was "why weren't you in the bike lane?".

The assault was deemed to be a voluntary fight and police refused to press charges. Various witnesses came forward but the officers did not seem interested in taking statements. The officers then confiscated the various business cards given to Edward by witnesses (one of which was stained with his blood) and let the driver go as they had already decided that the altercation was a "voluntary fight".

Edward's shoulder is badly sprained, his skin and clothes are ripped and his bicycle needs minor fixing. Please share the photo of this driver and be aware that the driver in these photos is a danger to fellow cyclists and is still at large. Please share this album to inform others about what happened.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 27, 2014, 3:47 p.m.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1110699/vpd-say-facebook-photos-of-alleged-road-rage-incident-paint-an-incomplete-picture/

Jan. 27, 2014, 3:52 p.m.

Yeah totally looks like a voluntary fight, I mean look how aggressively postured the cyclist is. Geez. D-bag meathead in the car needs his kneecaps broken.

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:03 p.m.

Good post. Who really knows what happened? Certainly no one here.

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

Wouldn't take much for someone to enhance those photos and get the licence number off them.

The 5th photo in the facebook album shows it quite clearly. But what would you do with them? You can't just go hunting the driver, no one really has any idea to what the real story is

:japan:

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

Was the cyclist weaving in and out of traffic?

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:55 p.m.

well if we consider the street layout, hornby is one way heading north and the bike lane is on the east side of hornby. so for the cyclist to make a left turn to head west onto dunsmuir if he's in the bike lane he would need to cut across two lanes of northbound vehicle traffic. i don't think this intersection has an advanced green for cyclists like the one at hornby and georgia. so depending where on the street the cyclist was this could explain the original incident.

http://goo.gl/maps/w5RnN

however, whatever happened or whoever's fault it was, it's still no reason for an assault and the pics seem to support the idea that the cyclist wasn't looking for a fight when he was assaulted by the driver.

pretty shitty policing all around by the VPD. definitely no reason for them to take away the witness info obtained by the cyclist either. this sets the ugly precedent that some drivers may feel they now have carte blanche to assault cyclists as they see fit.

just a dumb move by the VPD.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 27, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

holy shit this is insane …

time to lawyer up and start suing…

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

Frankenstein?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:07 p.m.

Seems to me like the cyclist was a willing participant until the guy got out of his car. What did he think would happen after he threw the guy's stuff all over the street?

As is often the case in situations like this, we are reading a very one-sided account of events. What really transpired is probably very different.

After looking at the pics, this guy appears to be a bike messenger. That all but guarantees he is riding like a complete asshole in traffic.:D

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

pretty shitty policing all around by the VPD. definitely no reason for them to take away the witness info obtained by the cyclist either. this sets the ugly precedent that some drivers may feel they now have carte blanche to assault cyclists as they see fit.

Only a matter of time before Vancouver starts having stories of drivers mow down a cyclist and kills said cyclist.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

After looking at the pics, this guy appears to be a bike messenger. That all but guarantees he is riding like a complete asshole in traffic.:D

Seriously though, do they ever get busted for the shit they routinely pull?

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:52 p.m.

My guess is that the driver is VPD. I have no concrete evidence to support this, but that is just my hunch.
I have been in "consensual fights" before where every thing just gets dropped. Usually that takes an even fight, and liquor involved to even hold up. If you say "dont touch me!" at any point in an altercation this deems the fight to be motivated by one party. And possibly deemed an assault.

WTF, Over?

Jan. 27, 2014, 5:55 p.m.

So voluntary fights are legit now. Game on.

Jan. 27, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

The police should do better than this. It does not matter to me at all, what the cyclist riding habits are. This should not go unanswered.