Things I learned …

July 25, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

Makes my 15km round trip per day look like a kiddie ride lol

July 26, 2013, 6:22 a.m.

I learned yesterday that my desk is not a good place to stash my sweaty underthings because its easy to forget about them. Until management comes around and does cubicle inspections.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 26, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

My advice is invest in a good commuter/road machine. They are really not that expensive compared to most MTBs. I use the word "invest" literally. If you think of how much you save on gas, maintenance, insurance, the stress of sitting in traffic and the side benefits of health and a means of logging "training miles" to make you even more of a beast on the trails. You will also save on wear and tear on your "good" bike.

My commuter is a rigid frame Mongoose MTB that I bought 20 years ago for $1,200. I've put a couple hundred dollars in parts into it. Taking into account all of the benefits Duncan lists, that $1,400 probably has the best ROI of any money I've ever spent.

Sometimes, the "best" route isn't the shortest

Impressive. If I'm feeling energetic, I'll bike up through Lynn Valley and down Lillooet road on my way home instead of just taking Fern to the Parkway.

July 26, 2013, 8:09 p.m.

I learned yesterday that my desk is not a good place to stash my sweaty underthings because its easy to forget about them. Until management comes around and does cubicle inspections.

I'm sure you would be able to find some enthusiastic (ahem! male) co-workers who will keep an eye open for forgotten said underthings. Cubicle inspections? What about unreasonable search and seizure?