Thanks for nothin', Erin O'Melinn

June 25, 2013, 4:20 p.m.

Were spending too much time and money cockblocking Darwin these days.

Maimed dimwits only increase their cost to society.

are you guys for real?

you've accidentally stumbled into a bike-related forum; time to waddle on back to the nbr cesspool before you shrivel up and die

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 25, 2013, 6:54 p.m.

are you guys for real?

KILL'EM ALL, LET GOD SORT 'EM OUT! :trinity:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 17, 2013, 2:33 p.m.

hey mark, i was doing some background research for a project and came across this tidbit in a report on a ped safety study done in Vancouver a few years ago. thought it might interest you: really supports some of your thinking (i'm being serious)

across the city, 82% of accidents involving pedestrians happen when pedestrians have the right-of-way. Pedestrians account for 45% of traffic fatalities in the city, but are only involved in two percent of traffic accidents (2005-2010 Pedestrian Safety Study)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 17, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

hey mark, i was doing some background research for a project and came across this tidbit in a report on a ped safety study done in Vancouver a few years ago. thought it might interest you: really supports some of your thinking (i'm being serious)

yeah i know my line of thinking seems skewed on this, but i wonder how many of pedestrians might have avoided accidents if they'd been highly aware of their surroundings even though they had the ROW.

i can honestly only go on personal experience here (and as I drive downtown through the dunsmuir/robson corridor o na nearly daily basis i feel i have a pretty vaild perspective here) but the amount of peds that i see that are not paying attention to the hazards around them is astounding.

i don't want to get hit by 3000lbs of steel when i'm walking/pedaling/riding around so i'm acutely aware of what's going on around me. it's saved my ass a few times even when i've had the ROW. in a human/vehicle collison the human always loses so to me it just makes sense to not trust other people when i'm the one in a vulnerable position.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 17, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

You have a link to this report? Have a few people I know who should read this.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 17, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

yeah i know my line of thinking seems skewed on this, but i wonder how many of pedestrians might have avoided accidents if they'd been highly aware of their surroundings even though they had the ROW.

i can honestly only go on personal experience here (and as I drive downtown through the dunsmuir/robson corridor o na nearly daily basis i feel i have a pretty vaild perspective here) but the amount of peds that i see that are not paying attention to the hazards around them is astounding.

i don't want to get hit by 3000lbs of steel when i'm walking/pedaling/riding around so i'm acutely aware of what's going on around me. it's saved my ass a few times even when i've had the ROW. in a human/vehicle collison the human always loses so to me it just makes sense to not trust other people when i'm the one in a vulnerable position.

Ha. You try driving a 24 ton bus down the Granville Mall eight times a day!

Lemmings! Lemmings I tell you!

Actually, I blame the "devices".

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 17, 2013, 11:35 p.m.

You have a link to this report? Have a few people I know who should read this.

all the juicy stuff is probably in this one: http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/pedestrian-safety-study-2012-final-report.pdf

Actually, I blame the "devices".

darwin's little minions :devil:

July 17, 2013, 11:41 p.m.

darwin's little minions :devil:

had one of those today - as i pull up to this stop sign at a cross street there's this chic walking up to the crosswalk looking at her phone. as she gets to the corner she pauses like she's going to wait and have a look before she crosees. i'm aboout to go when she steps off the curb without even so much as looking up. it wasn't until she was about 3ft off the curb that she realized there was a vehicle in front of her.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer