THANK YOU

Oct. 3, 2013, 10:27 a.m.

Thank you to the fellow commuter this morning who helped me out by GIVING me a tube to fix my flat rear. I'm a fair-weather commuter so never really considered flatting on my rides would be in the cards. I was proven wrong today halfway to the office.

From now on I carry 2 extra tubes; one for myself and one for anyone I come across who needs help.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Oct. 3, 2013, 10:52 a.m.

You can get a flat anywhere, anytime. A few months ago, I got a flat riding through the shiny-floored hallways of my office building at 6:30 in the morning (part of my gig as the official office wildman, you see). I find I get flats in bunches too. I'll get 3 in a week and then none for 6 months. Weird (and I do check tire surfaces of objects and debris). Hope you pay if forward to some poor person in need some day!

Oct. 3, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

Good stuff. Ya I got a flat riding home a bit ago. Luckily I was only a 10 min walk away, but it was definitely still annoying. I bike commute everyday but don't carry tubes. Probably asking for it…

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

Good stuff. Ya I got a flat riding home a bit ago. Luckily I was only a 10 min walk away, but it was definitely still annoying. I bike commute everyday but don't carry tubes. Probably asking for it…

I am in the same boat, I've been lucky so far but I am probably due a bunch.

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

You should run tubeless.
:D

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:45 p.m.

It's really no trouble to put a seat bag tool kit on a commuting bike - what holds you guys back from doing that?

flickr

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

Tube and glueless patches always.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:49 p.m.

It's really no trouble to put a seat bag tool kit on a commuting bike - what holds you guys back from doing that?

Puuuuuuurrrrrre laziness :D

That and my commute never takes me far from buses if worst comes to worst

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

Honestly, because I am an idiot. I did for like the first week then needed the tube fore something else and never replaced it. That was four years ago, including a period riding through the Olympic Village construction site.

That said, I am also never too far from a bus stop.

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

You always have to put patches in the tool kit for that reason… when you forget to get a new tube for long enough that you eventually forget about it altogether.

flickr

Oct. 3, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

A rose thorn gave me a flat the other week. Tough little bugger actually made it through the sidewall just near the place it starts getting thinner.
Then there was the time I hadn't looked at my tires for months and thought someones was messing with me because I was having so many slow leaks. Then I looked at the tire and I had no sidewalls at all.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Oct. 3, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

It's also a good idea to occasionally pick through your tires for embedded chunks of glass. I went a couple years commuting on scavenged tires that had been tossed out the back doors of bike shops and cleaned up.

flickr

Oct. 3, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

I'm a fair-weather commuter so never really considered flatting on my rides would be in the cards.

what, flats are caused by rain???

Oct. 4, 2013, 6:40 a.m.

Tube and glueless patches always.

this^^ except on my townie in a small town where I could just walk home easily

and you have to change your patch kit every year or so or the glue will be fucked when you come to use it

I rotate the old kits out of the seat bag into the shop where I try to do all my patching

btw I think it was the MEC kits that come with 2 tubes of glue good cuz an open tube is most likely to be dried out but the unopenned 2nd tube is most likely to still be liquid when you need it

Oct. 4, 2013, 7:33 a.m.

I find I get flats in bunches too. I'll get 3 in a week and then none for 6 months. Weird (and I do check tire surfaces of objects and debris).

It is a well observed fact that flats occur in multiples of three.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/