STOP STOP STOP

July 12, 2013, 3:50 p.m.

So this morning police were enforcing stops and stops signs and 10th and Main perhaps the time has come to look at introducing a rolling stop for cycles

http://www.sfbike.org/?idaho

Seems quite sensible for me but so would common sense….

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

July 12, 2013, 5:25 p.m.

And smoking should be allowed back in buildings, they are so oppressed people

July 14, 2013, 1:07 p.m.

Bummer, I had heard a rumour that cyclists are allowed to roll through stop signs if going less than 10km/h or something - guess that was bogus.

A cyclist rolling slowly through an intersection and a car rolling through an intersection slowly are such different things. The cyclist has no blind spots and can hear everything going on. I am in full support of a cyclist not being required to make a full stop at a stop sign, but it does become pretty tough to police a less black-and-white rule.

July 14, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

I think there's a difference between rolling through a four way stop on a side street, and rolling across Main Street at 10th against the traffic lights. Call me crazy, but…

Ride, don't slide.

July 14, 2013, 2:58 p.m.

^ freedom hater. :beer:

July 14, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

Pretty simple really, if you're on the road follow the rules of the road and if you don't want to follow them then stay the hell off the road!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 14, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

^ freedom hater. :beer:

LOL :beer:

Ride, don't slide.

July 14, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

Cop: You failed to stop for that stop sign.
Me: Ya. But i slowed right down.
Cop: Begins smashing me with his baton on the head and neck
Me: WTF dude? Yeow!
Cop: Now, do you want me to stop? Or do you want me to slow down?

WTF, Over?

July 15, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

Some cops don't like trackstands, either. Don't know if Van cops are that anal. Been bike commuting for 20+ years about 3 days a week on average in 4 different cities, only ever got a warning, once, from a cop, about doing a trackstand at a red light.

July 15, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

They did that a few years back around the same area, gave out a bunch of tickets, but if you watched closely, they were really only ticketing the people who blew through the stop signs.

July 15, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

They did that a few years back around the same area, gave out a bunch of tickets, but if you watched closely, they were really only ticketing the people who blew through the stop signs.

It was my colleague who told me, he said they were ready to ticket idiots and those with attitude…

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

July 16, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

The law is the law. Break it and you might get a ticket and if your driving, increased vehicle insurance premiums. Cops are always lenient on bicyclists, unless the copper has power issues, which some do….its the biggest gang in the world, they protect their own.

Look at how slack they are on those bicycle engines. 49cc is law, but most buy the 66cc (80cc), now you have those electric engines 500W I think is the law on that.

July 16, 2013, 6:37 p.m.

The law is the law.

The law is an ass.

People who think "the law is the law" are bland and unthinking dupes.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 18, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Cop: You failed to stop for that stop sign.
Me: Ya. But i slowed right down.
Cop: Begins smashing me with his baton on the head and neck
Me: WTF dude? Yeow!
Cop: Now, do you want me to stop? Or do you want me to slow down?

Actually, many many many years ago (as in the '70's so it's waaaaaay past the statue of limitations, OK?) I met "that" cop.
I was on the back of buddies 750 Honda having spent the afternoon on my hands and knees picking 'schrooms somewhere along one of the arms of the Fraser River.
To this day I have no idea where that field of knee high grass that one would sweep aside to reveal the bountiful offering of mother nature was.
Of course, a good portion of that said bounty went in my mouth rather than the plastic produce produce bag I'd lifted from Safeway. :rolleyes:
Later, as we were cruising down Powell St. of all places on our way to the West End (that's how lost we were) we were pulled over by a squad car.
I'll never forget the way constable so-and-so swaggered, wearing those flared motorcycle cop britches and knee high motorcycle boots, up to us, pivoted to a stop in front of buddy and reached past him and grabbed the strap of my buckled helmet under my chin and then started yanking my head, like just reefing on it :eek2:, to and fro yelling "what's this? what's this?" while glaring at buddy whose helmet constable Nazi had noticed was unbuckled.
To make matters worse his demeanor wasn't placated in any way by my whacked out shit eating grin plastered across my face as he was assaulting me. :high:
Buddy got a warning ticket, prolly 'cause he had plates from 'merica, we were damn lucky not to have been shakin' down.
About 6 years later I was accosted by same constable wearing the fucking same britches and boots swearing at the top of his lungs at, well, me, because I was driving a Maclures cab too slow through a road side check on Powell or Cordova I think it was.
:clap:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.