Starving

Aug. 23, 2013, 11:21 a.m.

More protein (leaves you more satiated than carbs).

Also consider calorie-dense snacks to keep you going, like homemade bars (oats), pressed date/nut bars, rice cakes, etc. Stuff you might take on the bike.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 23, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

My routine
Pre run/ride
Nice coffee and a couple squars of dark chocolate

Once at work food spaced out about hourly, not for any particular reason.
-High fat yogurt 6%,banana, home made musili (lots of nuts and seeds)
-carrots celary
-cookie home made ~200-300 calories
-protien powder drink if starving or skip if ok
-lunch steamed veg and leftover protien if available maybe a bit of starch
-piece of fruit
-peice of fuit #2
- sandwich

then off to the afteroon event of the day

(thats for around a 3000 calorie day 195lbs male exercising twice daily for the last year)
my 2 cents

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

Aug. 23, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

I also find oatmeal staves off the hungries for a long time, better than anything else I can think of.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 23, 2013, 3:11 p.m.

Just crack a dozen eggs into your camelback the night before.

Aug. 23, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

I also find oatmeal staves off the hungries for a long time, better than anything else I can think of.

Forget the oatmeal, and have Steel Cut Oats. Less processed and will keep you fuller longer.

Also if you want to eat before you ride into work (don't know what you ride is like, any climbing involved?) the last thing that you should be eating is sugar. You just woke up and so your body is naturally hungry. By not eating, you are basically starving yourself. Then you throw sugar into the equation and you are crashing when you get to work.

I commute everyday that I can, which ends up being most. On top of that I put on anywhere from 150 to 300 km a week on the bike. I eat when I get up in the morning (before I ride into work) Steel Cut Oats with raisins and pecans, and then have a snack (usually an apple or two) before lunch which happens around 11:30.

By the time you have gotten to work, your body is in deficit of nutrients. You are trying to catch up the entire day.

Give eating before you ride into work a try. It worked from me, but everyone is different.

Cheers,

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 23, 2013, 7:31 p.m.

Also if you want to eat before you ride into work (don't know what you ride is like, any climbing involved?) the last thing that you should be eating is sugar. You just woke up and so your body is naturally hungry. By not eating, you are basically starving yourself. Then you throw sugar into the equation and you are crashing when you get to work.

ha!

the whole fruit sugar myth thing is entertaining - there's not enough "sugar" in one piece of fruit to make a difference, never mind adding into the mix that most fruit has a decent amount of fibre.

and that not eating when waking = starving is a fallacy as well. if humans couldn't survive the morning without breakfast we would have died off a loooooong time ago. the human body is adapted very well to going days, never mind a few hours, without food.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 23, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

I like steel cut oats with dried cranberries, almond slices, and walnuts. Throw some Greek yogurt in right before consumption and wash down with coffee.

FYI I don't commute by bike but I do give out free advise online

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 5, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Conclusion: eat more if you're hungry. Eat food you like. Case closed!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 5, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

Eating fat [HTML_REMOVED] protien do not make you fat

Either eat more protein OR continue to feel hungry

Sept. 9, 2013, 3:24 p.m.

Bananas are good and fast in the morning - something about fast releasing carbohydrates. I've been doing 30km per day for about 4 months now and honestly haven't found a good alternative to cereal bars (cliff bars etc). Being allergic to fish doesn't seem to help. Tried nuts, especially cashews but it didn't seem to help.

Definitely interested to see if you find anything.

Sept. 10, 2013, 10:01 a.m.

I have been sticking with fruit before the ride and eating toast, fruit and veg once I get to work.
I have smalls meals of mostly rice with a bit of chicken or beans and then snack on fruit/veg the last few hours before the return commute. More protein didn't really work for me, I felt tired and had very little energy on the ride home.
I usually pass by work on the weekends so I have been dropping food off and that has made my pack a lot lighter.

Bananas are good and fast in the morning - something about fast releasing carbohydrates. I've been doing 30km per day for about 4 months now and honestly haven't found a good alternative to cereal bars (cliff bars etc). Being allergic to fish doesn't seem to help. Tried nuts, especially cashews but it didn't seem to help.

Definitely interested to see if you find anything.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 10, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

I have been sticking with fruit before the ride and eating toast, fruit and veg once I get to work.
I have smalls meals of mostly rice with a bit of chicken or beans and then snack on fruit/veg the last few hours before the return commute. More protein didn't really work for me, I felt tired and had very little energy on the ride home.
I usually pass by work on the weekends so I have been dropping food off and that has made my pack a lot lighter.

more fat

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 19, 2013, 2:17 p.m.

Eat more! I commute 19 km each way to work, and I think all the money I save by not driving goes right into food.

Sept. 19, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

Anyone have any eating strategies for longer commutes?
Once I get to work I am starving for most of the day and quite honestly can't carry enough food in my pack. When I say food I mean fruits and veg and homemade meals, not bars etc, personal preference.
My commute is 20k both ways, but I usually take transit once a day so the total is only 25-30k per day.
What do you eat/bring to work? Does dinner the night before make much difference? Should I bring a 20lb bag of oats to work and graze on that all day?

Grabbed a copy of Feedzone portables…same stuff the Tour guys eat.

Baked eggs with bacon. Easy to transport and no egg shells.
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/05/nutrition/feed-zone-portables-basic-baked-eggs_76578

Lots of stuff in it to make and easy to transport.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 19, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

what I hear op saying is " omg I can't eat more food certainly not fat or protien …I will get fat!"