SPD / Clipless for Commuting

Aug. 12, 2013, 10:52 a.m.

I need a new set of clipless / SPD shoes for commuting. Mine were cheap as they come and have served me well but I'd like something a little nicer.

Basic requirements:
- I don't want to spend a ton of money, something under $200.
- Shoe will see about 90% of it's use commuting (other 10% would be road rides).
- I switch to a mountain bike when the weather gets rougher in the winter so the shoe needs to be SPD compatable.

Any suggestions on brands that are good, shoes to try and where to look? I'd like to stay away from lace-ups but other than that, I am pretty open.

Aug. 12, 2013, 1:36 p.m.

I love the Shimano A530 for commute/urban-oriented bikes. Top-notch Shimano bearing quality with dual-sided SPD/platform convenience. Who wants to have to put on their special shoes just to run to the grocery store?

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Aug. 12, 2013, 4:07 p.m.

I love the Shimano A530 for commute/urban-oriented bikes. Top-notch Shimano bearing quality with dual-sided SPD/platform convenience. Who wants to have to put on their special shoes just to run to the grocery store?

As much as I hate the idea of a dual-sided spd/platform pedal for riding off-road it is a good idea for a commuter/city bike IMO.
:couple:

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 12, 2013, 4:52 p.m.

I actually don't mind for store runs usually, but I run dual sided pedals on my mountain bike / winter commuter for this very reason (also, in the snow, it's nice not to be clipped in). So, any recommendations for the shoes?

Aug. 12, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

I actually don't mind for store runs usually, but I run dual sided pedals on my mountain bike / winter commuter for this very reason (also, in the snow, it's nice not to be clipped in). So, any recommendations for the shoes?

The shoe that fits you best is the best shoe for you!

These look awesome for winter commuting:

http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/fasterkatt

I almost want to go back to couriering just to see how good that microglass sole traction is in an off-bike situation. _ Almost._

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Aug. 18, 2013, 5:57 a.m.

Lots of options in here.

I ride these for my commute

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Aug. 18, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

Any suggestions on brands that are good, shoes to try and where to look? I'd like to stay away from lace-ups but other than that, I am pretty open.

I look at clipless bike shoes like ski boots … they MUST fit perfectly period

I have tried shimano which are good shoes by anyone's standards but they don't fit me very well across the instep, OTOH specialized fit me pretty damn good

I use a 2 strap [HTML_REMOVED] lace up mtn bike shoe for road touring [HTML_REMOVED] mtn

Aug. 22, 2013, 9:28 a.m.

I look at clipless bike shoes like ski boots … they MUST fit perfectly period

I was afraid this might be the answer. Unfortunately, most of the places I have been only seem to carry one or two brands. Ach well, some leg work then.

Aug. 22, 2013, 9:52 p.m.

Check out North Shore Sports Swap … its hit-and-miss but sometimes lots of choices and good prices. I've gotten some good deals there before - including a pair of brand new road Diadoras with carbon soles and metal ratchet-lock mechanism fasteners - info and care tags still attached - $60. I also got a pair of Perl Izumi SPD shoes there for about the same price. I still use them 10 years on and around 40,000 commuting km later.

Sept. 9, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

Ended up getting a pair of Giro Gauge. Apparently I have a wide foot and they do a wider (HV) fitting. Feels like a glove. Props to the guys at Lynn Valley bikes for hooking me up with a good deal too.