Rocky Mountain Metropolis

March 20, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

I'm thinking of buying a 2012 Rocky Mountain Metropolis YUL

My commute is about 14 km each way. Part of my commute is on a gravel path(central valley greenway).

specs http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+METROPOLIS_YUL.html?BIKE=1026[HTML_REMOVED]CATID=3[HTML_REMOVED]SCATID=27[HTML_REMOVED]Y=2012

What are your thoughts on this bike, good or bad?

March 20, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

I think it is solid. Wife was looking at picking one up as well.

Steel is real!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

March 20, 2013, 1:48 p.m.

I think it is solid. Wife was looking at picking one up as well.

Steel is real!

Isn't the frame aluminum?

Frame RMB 6061 Series Alloy

March 20, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

The fork is chromoly.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

March 20, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

I'm thinking of buying a 2012 Rocky Mountain Metropolis YUL

My commute is about 14 km each way. Part of my commute is on a gravel path(central valley greenway).

specs http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+METROPOLIS_YUL.html?BIKE=1026[HTML_REMOVED]CATID=3[HTML_REMOVED]SCATID=27[HTML_REMOVED]Y=2012

What are your thoughts on this bike, good or bad?

Do you ride the gravel section of CVG between North Rd and Gaglardi? Have they fixed all the potholes in that stretch?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 21, 2013, 9:22 a.m.

Do you ride the gravel section of CVG between North Rd and Gaglardi? Have they fixed all the potholes in that stretch?

No, the gravel section between Sperling and Douglas Road. There are some pot holes, but it's not too bad.

March 21, 2013, 9:08 p.m.

just fucking buy it . . .

you'll be glad you did .

March 22, 2013, 9:07 a.m.

I try to avoid selling flatbar/hybrid bikes to clients who have not-insignificant commutes, simply to give them the ability to mix up their hand positions on a drop bar and not get locked into a single position. On the trail, you're always moving around and changing in relationship to the bike, but on the asphalt, your position is static; over the course of a longer ride all kinds of stress and strain set in, particularly in the upper back and behind the shoulder blades.

In addition, the 45.5cm chainstay length nudges the Metropolis into touring sled territory in terms of acceleration. In an urban environment, you're never going for more than 5min or so without having to come to a full and complete stop. Consequently, a long-ass bike like that is going to be ponderously and consistently slow off the line, and climbing will suffer. If it's gotta be a flatbar hybrid, I'd take a hard look at any of the Express-series Brodie bikes like the Voltage or Dynamo - plenty of clearance for a fat, comfy 28-32c tire with full fenders, and a much, much faster cyclocross race-derived 43.0cm chainstay.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

March 24, 2013, 10:20 p.m.

I have the YVR. Overall I quite like it so far. Handles nicely. My only major change aside from a rack and fenders was a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. This dropped a fair bit of weight off of the wheels.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Aug. 12, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

I have the YVR. Overall I quite like it so far. Handles nicely. My only major change aside from a rack and fenders was a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. This dropped a fair bit of weight off of the wheels.

a friend of mine is looking at one of these and will want to put a rack on it - did you have any issues with that or was it wasy to mount up. she might also want to put a kids's seat on the rear - any thoughts on whether that would work?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 12, 2013, 8:43 p.m.

a friend of mine is looking at one of these and will want to put a rack on it - did you have any issues with that or was it wasy to mount up. she might also want to put a kids's seat on the rear - any thoughts on whether that would work?

No idea about a kid's seat. Rack was super easy as there are mounts above the disc brake. It was no biggie.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"