Rage, chaos and crashes are ignored realities of life in the biking mecca.

May 6, 2019, 1:36 p.m.

I’ve Ridden in Both Cities, and Amsterdam Is No Model for Vancouver’s Cycling Future

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2019/05/06/Cycling-Vancouver-Vs-Amsterdam/

“.....with a malevolent fascist swine atop its titular apex, the pitiful wounded beast of a rotten, spiritually dead American Superpower is careening towards epic barbarism while pushing the species dangerously to the tipping points of extinction.”

May 8, 2019, 4:07 p.m.

That's like saying "I've ridden in both cities, and Vancouver is no model for Amsterdam's mountain biking future" 🙂

Amsterdam has been suffering from overcrowding over the last decade. That affects all aspects of life, including cycling. More people, more conflicts. Cycling infrastructure being an integral part of urban design, bicycles being the main mode of transportation, and cycling being very safe even without helmets, are still awesome and what I miss most from Amsterdam.

June 10, 2019, 3:59 p.m.

Rage, chaos and crashes eh? 

Sounds like the ignored realities of car driving in every city ever.

Aug. 26, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Amsterdam will be banning all internal combustion vehicles within the city starting 2030.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-pollution-amsterdam/city-of-amsterdam-to-ban-polluting-cars-from-2030-idUSKCN1S81XV

Aug. 27, 2019, 11:23 a.m.

Symptoms like that...the overcrowding...too many cyclists on bike lanes designed for way less traffic...are starting to happen in quite a few big cities I regularly ride in. Definitely time to start thinking about designing a different infrastructure. And I think Amsterdam might be on to something.

Aug. 28, 2019, 4:01 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Symptoms like that...the overcrowding...too many cyclists on bike lanes designed for way less traffic...are starting to happen in quite a few big cities I regularly ride in. Definitely time to start thinking about designing a different infrastructure. And I think Amsterdam might be on to something.

Vancouver will follow in time. Removing the viaducts will be the start. Then you will likely need to be commercial, permitted or electric to enter the downtown core. Fine with me, I don’t need a car downtown. Can actually find it to be a pain.