Post pix of your commuter bike.

Nov. 30, 2013, 11:50 a.m.

Now fully wintered out, would really like a black 1" quill stem but it can wait.

When I worked at West Point Cycles in the 80s we sold lots of these. Is that a Magnum SE? It was funny though. Guys would bring in a bike like that and often refer to it as a Nishiki Magnum. Then they pause a moment. SE. Like it was something akin to the Guerciotti at the back of the shop. Nice bikes but not Guerciotti nice.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:09 a.m.

When I worked at West Point Cycles in the 80s we sold lots of these. Is that a Magnum SE? It was funny though. Guys would bring in a bike like that and often refer to it as a Nishiki Magnum. Then they pause a moment. SE. Like it was something akin to the Guerciotti at the back of the shop. Nice bikes but not Guerciotti nice.

i thinks that's a landau. pretty similar to the magnum se, which was made by (for?) norco. those frames make great singlespeeds

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 2, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

Mine's an Olympic it is in fact a
'Bicycle of distinction' or so it says on the seat tube.
I felt a bit bad making it a single speed but the 125 wide drop outs were a problem getting a decent replacement wheel and I have no regrets now it just feels nice.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 2, 2013, 11:26 p.m.

this happened on the way to work last week

this is how I got home. Red Green would have been proud, fix was good as new and still solid 10km and many hills later

Dec. 3, 2013, 6:35 a.m.

ok , now that there shows some of the next level , out of the box thinking that made our country great .

if i knew how to do that rep thing , you would get some from me :lol:

Dec. 3, 2013, 9:23 a.m.

Mine's an Olympic

if memory serves, the olympic had the same geometry as the international - longer and slacker - while the landau and the magnum se (was there a regular magnum?) were a bit steeper and tighter. i prefer the latter as townies but the former were well regarded touring and long distance bikes

that'll buff right out ;) nice fix :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 3, 2013, 4:02 p.m.

yep it is nice and slack would definitely work for longer distances.

That is an awesome fix BTW

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Feb. 10, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

so this isn't really a commuter since my current commute involves walking up stairs from kitchen to home office. but its my daily driver and i get to ride around a lot for work so i figure it fits

spec highlights:

• 58cm surly travelers check frameset i picked up from mighty riders before heading to east africa in 2012 (thanks ed)
  • my dynamo lights and wheels were stolen last year near metrotown so i built up a temporary replacement set with used rims on old xt hubs
  • eccentric specialized stem has allowed me to play with bar heights as i've dealt with some shoulder issues
  • front brakes are a set of black xt 734s, i'd love to find a matching pair
  • old set of xtr 950 cranks that just refuse to die! these ones have a 110/74 bcd spider so i can keep running them until they do, and i just picked up a matching (950) nos cartridge bb from ocb for 4$
  • dropper-compatible ortlieb seat bag in high-vis green holds emergency supplies and is getting passed around between bikes like a vd

given the loads i often haul and the conditions i'm willing to ride in, i keep thinking i should get a disk-brake commuter. but there's something deliciously bloody-minded about running cantilever brakes in the rain and snow, i'll probably stick with them until they kill me

Feb. 10, 2014, 11:23 p.m.

Red Green would have been proud,

Send him the pic he'll send you swag………..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 20, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Went and took a pic of my, now, main steed.

The Bike.

The Rig.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 26, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

Went and took a pic of my, now, main steed.

The Bike.

The Rig.

Hey there vw jetta man. What kind of specialized tires are those?

Wrong. Always.

May 26, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

My commuter in its kid transporter configuration.

May 28, 2016, 5:19 a.m.

my new single speed commuter, need to replace the shitty stock pedals though:

May 31, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

My new front end. Added the bar ends for more hand positions and the front rack.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 31, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

Cool. It looks like you can carry a growler up front. What tires are you using, kind sir?

Wrong. Always.