Post pix of your commuter bike.

March 2, 2012, 2:47 p.m.

IMHO, there are problems with the idea that different wheelsets are an easy fix.

First of all, I don't think the wheelset really affects your commute time (unless you are commuting 100+ km a day). I've tried slicks on hardtail MTB and it didn't knock more than a few minutes (if that) off of an hour commute. How the bike frame geometry, weight and setup affects your pedalling efficiency is FAR more important, I would say. (ie Its not about the wheels or tires - its about the bike).

Second, it really only makes sense to have a swappable front commuter wheel. The rear wheel requires you to either switch your one freewheel cluster over or to buy a second cluster.

Switching a freewheel cluster is somewhat tedious (I'm lazy), but you may not think so. If you have 2 clusters, you will probably find at some point you will get incompatible wear between your 2 clusters and the chain (depending on how much you ride each cluster). You may be lucky and only have to replace the chain and one cluster, but it is likely you will have to throw away the chain, and the 2 clusters prematurely. For that amount of money over the long term, it is probably better to buy a bike that you can both commute on and do some types of trail riding on and then leave the pig iron for gnarlier types of riding. The amount of time you spend switching wheelsets probably will probably negate the time savings from a better-rolling setup.

This is a good point. I'm drawn to a 29er hardtail as my one bike for several reasons. One of them being I'm pretty sure it would be quicker than a 26er on the road (given similar gear-inches.) The Paradox seems like a low maintenance, jack of all trades that can be built fairly light but strong, and with good geometry for teh trails. Road/commuting would be a small part of its use though. It would be mainly for BC xc/trail riding.

So maybe the second wheelset thing isn't worth it.

Wrong. Always.

March 2, 2012, 2:48 p.m.

likewise, if the second wheelset is for commuting, it can be a much cheaper wheelset than the 26 wheelset BB would have to give up if BB's fleet was replaced with a 29er

Not sure what you're saying but I agree 1000%.
:rawr:

Wrong. Always.

March 2, 2012, 3:57 p.m.

likewise, if the second wheelset is for commuting, it can be a much cheaper wheelset than the 26 wheelset BB would have to give up if BB's fleet was replaced with a 29er

I was thinking more from the perspective of not wanting to leave a nice bike locked up outside of the house…

March 4, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

I was thinking more from the perspective of not wanting to leave a nice bike locked up outside of the house…

this is something very true.. I have bikes I'll lock up (for a while, never long into the night) and others that I will never leave locked up..

March 9, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

how bout some pix…

i bought some planet bike fenders so sure here is another pic of my unit. the fenders tied in nice with the old man mountain rack as the unit doesn't have fender/rack eyelets. it is my winter commuter (bought it when i was commuting in calgary and using in kootenays now)

this is my other season commuter and all around road bike

March 23, 2012, 6:45 p.m.

Set up with 40c's now. Goes from Van to south Burnaby….

Karate monkey by Tom_Bishop, on Flickr

NSMBA member.

March 23, 2012, 8:03 p.m.

Nice.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

April 1, 2012, 7:17 p.m.

After my commuter was stolen a few weeks ago (2008 Specialized Allez), I've now got myself a slightly more practical commuter:

Specialized Tricross Elite something something disc. Was one of a few bikes around I could find that had discs, drop bars, room for fenders and not pure junk components. Now only if I could afford Sram Red hydraulic discs for it…

April 4, 2012, 4:25 p.m.

I rented a 29er hardtail for a few hours in Socal recently and was not only impressed with the monster truck like capabilities offroad but also on how quick it was (compared to my 26er hardtail) on the roads/highway to the trailhead. Wasn't as fast as the roadies but in traffic when old people aren't giving you much room it's nice to have the offroad abilities of a mtb when hitting potholes and jumping curbs.

So I give 29er hardtail a thumbs up for commuting. Would have to keep it under watchful eye in your office tho unless it's a stealthy rigid sombeetch.

Wrong. Always.

April 4, 2012, 4:27 p.m.

Set up with 40c's now. Goes from Van to south Burnaby….

Karate monkey by Tom_Bishop, on Flickr

That would kill, sir.
:clap:

Wrong. Always.

April 10, 2012, 3:18 p.m.

i want one of those! where did you get yours?

looks like an exceptional bike for pulling our chariot, and occasional commuting duties…

Sorry for the way-late reply, but from Dream Cycle on Commercial. Very competitive pricing and they have a fitter as well that sets you up. Mighty is the other dealer.

This bike is awesome. Does everything well though it feels a little sluggish from being long and low BB-wise

April 21, 2012, 3:23 p.m.

Here's my 2009 Masi Speciale 105, steel frame. I am digging it. Makes the commute easier and more fun.

What are the best clip on fenders?

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

May 4, 2012, 8:28 p.m.

New wheels on the commuter. Sun Black Flags. Just waiting for tubes for the slick. 14km commute. For a small hick town it has some nice bike paths.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 4, 2012, 9:03 p.m.

bmor , the lightest , tightest , lowest profile fenders are the crud racer fenders they sell at mighty .

65 bux worth of highly engineered plastic that will fit the newest , latest , greatest carbon frames . if you have 5 mm of clearance these will fit . pretty easy on and off using rubber bands and zip ties . i've put maybe 500 km on one set and was impressed enough to buy another set for another bike .

May 13, 2012, 4:47 a.m.

This is a good point. I'm drawn to a 29er hardtail as my one bike for several reasons. One of them being I'm pretty sure it would be quicker than a 26er on the road (given similar gear-inches.) The Paradox seems like a low maintenance, jack of all trades that can be built fairly light but strong, and with good geometry for teh trails. Road/commuting would be a small part of its use though. It would be mainly for BC xc/trail riding.

So maybe the second wheelset thing isn't worth it.

Any bike that is trying to be a jack of all trades will inevitably excel at nothing.

www.natooke.com