New tires for commuting

Nov. 3, 2013, 8 a.m.

Or Mabey a new bike. I have a giant tcr with 23mm tires not sure how big i can fit in there but it doesn't seem like I can go to big.

Ride is 20kms 5 Kms of shale gravel, I have the option of poaching the hiking trails at Burnaby lake so I could add more dirt. (I'm riding in the dark anyway so the trail is empty) a cx bike seems like a better tool for the job but I'd like to ride this commute for 3 months before I drop more dough on a bike.

Nov. 3, 2013, 10:08 a.m.

OCB frankenbike ftw .

i built a hybrid 'cross / commuter / touring for less than a hundred , wheels excluded .

Nov. 3, 2013, 10:19 p.m.

You might be able to squeeze a 25 or a 28 into that bike but you won't get anything with knobs into it. Schwalbe Marathons for commuting, or Duranos if you want a faster rolling high volume tire.

flickr

Nov. 4, 2013, 7:48 a.m.

well I converted my old stumpy m2 mountainbike into a wet commuter, 1.5s slicks rigid fork , found a long stem deep in a bin of my old parts. the boat anchor saint cranks look pretty funny on it though. biggest issue is the front end is so low that I clip the cranks if im pedaling hard around a corner. chainline sux as well in easy gears.

so im thinking to bring the front end up i could buy a rigid fork based on a 700cc bike mabey the surly karate monkey fork. i have a mtb hope six pot disc I could use

http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Rigid-Forks

thots?

also will i kill my road bike (aluminum frame carbon fork) if I ride a bit of dirt with it?

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:33 a.m.

I put 25's on my caad8 no problem with fit or deflating tires to get them in lots of room for bigger tires in rear not so much in front, a lot of the roads up here are not so great and IME I get more traction and smoother ride, IME the difference between 23 and 25 was noticable even for a slick

Nov. 4, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

You might be able to squeeze a 25 or a 28 into that bike but you won't get anything with knobs into it. Schwalbe Marathons for commuting, or Duranos if you want a faster rolling high volume tire.

I am running the 28 marathon's on my road bike for the winter. Been excellent so far.

Nov. 4, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

What year is the Giant?

23, 25, 28 its all splitting hairs when riding on gravel paths. Any hard puncture proof tire will do just fine. The real world thing is its just not comfortable. Get some new 23's or 25's and give it a go. Right now the leaves on trails make riding dicey at best, especially when you're flying through a park or path.

Road bikes are not as frail as some people think they are.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Nov. 4, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

its an 03 TCR2 originally babied by dirk diggler also known as undystain. has a cool IDUN sticker on it as well so that makes it a bit tougher.

looked at the clearance and im pretty sure that a 28 wouldnt fit in there.

Nov. 4, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

i've got continental gator skins both my road bike and my wife's commuter. a bitch (like all conti road tires) to get off and on the rim, and seem to wear quickly in crap weather, but they're way lighter than marathons and seem to resist flats just as well. comfi for their size, too

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:05 a.m.

From experience, 28c road tires just will not be fun for any extended distance on gravel trails. For a mixed surface commute like the one you mention, you want a cyclocross bike (with discs preferably), running 35c low-profile/fast CX knobbies.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 4, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

well I converted my old stumpy m2 mountainbike into a wet commuter, 1.5s slicks rigid fork , found a long stem deep in a bin of my old parts. the boat anchor saint cranks look pretty funny on it though. biggest issue is the front end is so low that I clip the cranks if im pedaling hard around a corner. chainline sux as well in easy gears.

so im thinking to bring the front end up i could buy a rigid fork based on a 700cc bike mabey the surly karate monkey fork. i have a mtb hope six pot disc I could use

A case of beer will get you a lightly used KHS 29er rigid fork, if you're interested…

Nov. 4, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

i've got continental gator skins both my road bike and my wife's commuter. a bitch (like all conti road tires) to get off and on the rim, and seem to wear quickly in crap weather, but they're way lighter than marathons and seem to resist flats just as well. comfi for their size, too

I am running Gatorskins 25c since new years, no flats at all. Should have sprung for the foldable version for easier swapping i think. I haven't noticed the wear issues, but I don't ride in the really nasty weather. Heard the Maxxis refuse are good too.

From experience, 28c road tires just will not be fun for any extended distance on gravel trails. For a mixed surface commute like the one you mention, you want a cyclocross bike (with discs preferably), running 35c low-profile/fast CX knobbies.

Steed has the 2013 Specialized Cross Disc for about $1300 sticker price right now. Sora level gruppo though.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Nov. 5, 2013, 1:02 a.m.

I am running the 28 marathon's on my road bike for the winter. Been excellent so far.

I rode a pair for a couple thousand km of riding, then did a 1400km tour with a 55 (total weight) pound BOB trailer, and didn't get a flat until at least another 1000 km after returning home.

They ended up on another distance bike, where I put another 1500 or so on them and sold on the bike. The rear was noticeably worn but the front was still in serviceable condition.

Those tires were indestructible, and super comfortable as I ran them at 70-75 psi most of the time.

flickr

Nov. 5, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

I rode a pair for a couple thousand km of riding, then did a 1400km tour with a 55 (total weight) pound BOB trailer, and didn't get a flat until at least another 1000 km after returning home.

They ended up on another distance bike, where I put another 1500 or so on them and sold on the bike. The rear was noticeably worn but the front was still in serviceable condition.

Those tires were indestructible, and super comfortable as I ran them at 70-75 psi most of the time.

Oh, I hear ya! This is my second set, I would reckon I have put about 2,500 km on the first set and they are still going. New bike with new wheel size necessitated a second set.