New bars for old mtb turned commuter?

May 20, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Got an aluminum framed disk brake (BB7) hardtail I converted to spingle seed but now I'm putting gears back on (3x9) for commuting, maybe even touring. Going to get a rigid fork, maybe a Surly Troll or something. Anyway, I don't care for the handlebars on it right now…real lack of back sweep bugs my hands.

Anyone try the Surly Open bars or some of those other J-Bar or H-Bar things? Mary bars?

Ideally I want something with a bit of sweep (maybe a lot of sweep?) and perhaps something that allows multiple hand positions. What have you guys found that works well on a mtb to commuter conversion? I don't want to have to change from the mtb brakes and shifters to make it work.

Cheers big ears.

Wrong. Always.

May 20, 2016, 1:12 p.m.

I recommend a set of 810 mm Funn Full On Riser bars. People will always smile and wave when you give them rib shots as you pass them on the second narrow bridge. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

May 20, 2016, 1:22 p.m.

Seriously though. What about something like the Cinelli Bullhorn bars?

May 20, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Haha to the first recommendation.:P

Hmm…will look into the second. Just might do the trick. :)

Reps to ye.

Edit: OK, thanks for the recommendation but I don't think I would be able to get those bars to work with mtb brake levers or shifters for 3x9 drivetrain.
:(

Wrong. Always.

May 22, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

I have the Hbars on my pavement bike and they are fantastic! I run them with standard mtb shifters and brakes. Its nice because you can rest a case of beer on the bars on your way home from the bcl.

May 24, 2016, 9 a.m.

I like these Velo Orange bars, too bad I need risers though.

Casey's Chromoly Crazy Bar

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.