Missed me by that much

April 11, 2014, 8:09 a.m.

Well when cyclists are killed on the road in Vancouver it's usually a big story which leads me to believe that it doesn't often happen without us hearing about it. Further more I have never heard of a cyclist being run over from behind by a bus on Broadway.

For an experienced bicycle commuter Broadway is a walk in the park. The bike routes on either side are just annoying stop and start bullshit.

Im not really sure how Broadway can be faster than 10th. There are more lights, and more cars on Broadway, meaning you are going to have to stop and start alot more than on 10th. They have removed many of the stop signs on 10th (anything that used to be a 4-way is now two way or a traffic circle), to make things more fluid for the bike route.
Even if Broadway were faster (which in my opinion it isnt), the number of vehicles you would annoy/enrage by just riding on it (when you and they both know there is a bike route two blocks away) is not worth the possible perceived 'faster' commute.

April 11, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

Im not really sure how Broadway can be faster than 10th. There are more lights, and more cars on Broadway, meaning you are going to have to stop and start alot more than on 10th. They have removed many of the stop signs on 10th (anything that used to be a 4-way is now two way or a traffic circle), to make things more fluid for the bike route.
Even if Broadway were faster (which in my opinion it isnt), the number of vehicles you would annoy/enrage by just riding on it (when you and they both know there is a bike route two blocks away) is not worth the possible perceived 'faster' commute.

What a lot of people don't realize is most of Broadway actually is a bike route during peak hours. The right lanes is for buses and bikes and there are (or at least there were) many signs to that effect.

And I don't really remember getting in the way of many cars but that may be because I ran a lot of red lights. I would leave most cars behind never to be seen again.

www.natooke.com

April 11, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

Riding on a busy street ensures that everyone around you is focused at least.

The same applies to drivers … I think you are less likely to get hit on a busy street than a sleepy sidestreet where both the cyclist and driver are off-guard and not mentally prepared for or expecting to run into traffic. I know thats where most of my close calls, both on the bike and in the car, have been. For that reason, I think back alleys are probably the one of the most hazardous places to ride your bike.

April 11, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

The same applies to drivers … I think you are less likely to get hit on a busy street than a sleepy sidestreet where both the cyclist and driver are off-guard and not mentally prepared for or expecting to run into traffic. I know thats where most of my close calls, both on the bike and in the car, have been. For that reason, I think back alleys are probably the one of the most hazardous places to ride your bike.

Anecdotal, but this has definitely been my experience too.

April 11, 2014, 5:08 p.m.

I think you are less likely to get hit on a busy street than a sleepy sidestreet where both the cyclist and driver are off-guard and not mentally prepared for or expecting to run into traffic.

you are wrong:

http://www.icbc.com/crashmap-cyclists

notice that busy streets - for cars and bikes - are over represented as locations for collisions

that's a numerator/denominator thing though: more cyclists on a given street mean more incidents. if you want to look at relative safety (which i think/hope is what you are talking about) of different route types, your are still wrong. here's the truth from the best source going:

http://cyclingincities.spph.ubc.ca/

notice how all the "major street" types are grouped together in that red area?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 11, 2014, 5:38 p.m.

Quiet side streets or big busy streets being safer are entirely dependent on what kind of cyclist you are.

If you're average speed is 35-40 km/h you should be riding on the bigger, faster streets. These kinds of cyclists are not as common hence the skewed route preference in the chart above.

www.natooke.com

April 11, 2014, 7:53 p.m.

And I don't really remember getting in the way of many cars but that may be because I ran a lot of red lights.

:rolleyes:

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 11, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

:rolleyes:

Running red lights is also often safer. You don't have to start off the line with a pack of cars.

www.natooke.com

April 12, 2014, 9:38 a.m.

Riding on a busy street ensures that everyone around you is focused at least.

Focused? Your joking right?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 12, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

Focused? Your joking right?

Remember where I live.

Even a lousy Canadian driver is a master motorist compared to these idiots.

www.natooke.com

April 12, 2014, 7:37 p.m.

Remember where I live.

Even a lousy Canadian driver is a master motorist compared to these idiots.

Well… having dealt with a few of your local exports recently. Please…keep them there as we have enough idiots operating motor vehicles over here.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 13, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Yikes. Shouldn't have to take your life into your hands to get around. Where was this?

April 14, 2014, 11:02 a.m.

you are wrong:

http://www.icbc.com/crashmap-cyclists

notice that busy streets - for cars and bikes - are over represented as locations for collisions

Good info!

April 14, 2014, 2:33 p.m.

The crazies are out on Sunday morning.

Headed down the road from my place, an old mid '70's GMC van, all pimped up '70's style comes by me. I'm looking at it - sort of chuckling.

That's the reason I notice the Toyota Yaris about 2 feet from it's back bumper, the girl driving it texting away.

The van slows for a left turn, she notices at the last minute - hits the brakes and dives for …… yup, the shoulder, which is a marked bike lane, which is where I am. I see it happening and head for the weeds.

I stayed upright for that one, less than 0.5 kilometre further on, I am making a left hand turn. Unfortunately the guy coming down the road that I am turning onto also wants to make a left hand turn, and isn't too fussed about his stop sign.

I see it coming, it's like slow motion and there is nothing you can do to stop the film, he rolls right through, sees me at the last second and sort of corrects, RUBBED my back wheel as he went and just keeps right on going.

As I am sitting on the grass at the side of the road trying to get my stomach back where it belongs I'm watching the people making right hand turns at this corner and thinking if I had gone down there I'd be dead anyway because these people making the right at 50 mph would have driven over me as I lay there.

Why the hell can't people slow down, and pay just a little bit of attention????

I feel absolutely sick right now.

Thus is why I went Monstercross and am riding the less traveled routes. Less stress and aggravation.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 14, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

If you're average speed is 35-40 km/h you should be riding on the bigger, faster streets. These kinds of cyclists are not as common hence the skewed route preference in the chart above.

turns out, all types of cyclists prefer separated routes and quiet streets to major roads with no bike infrastructure. edit: though there is a conspicuous dip in preference for residential streets by experienced cyclists

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave