Missed connection (with my fist)

May 22, 2015, 8:47 a.m.

To the entitled European asshole on knightstreet bridge this morning:
Maybe if you weren't riding the wrong direction against traffic our little altercation wouldn't have happened this morning….see you on Monday.

Here's what happened in case any of you need a morning drama fix:
Guys riding uphill against traffic, I am riding downhill with traffic - his bars are extra wide, with mirrors sticking out, I'm on my commuter with narrow upswept bars - he expects me to yield to him because I am going downhill, I expect him to yield because he's the jackass riding against traffic. He gets in my face, calls me a rude asshole flips me off and keeps going.
Just a fair warning, get in my face again and your bikes going in the river - ain't nobody got time for that - ride with respect and on the RIGHT side of the road and this won't happen.

May 22, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Maybe if you weren't riding the wrong direction against traffic our little altercation wouldn't have happened this morning….see you on Monday.

Guys riding uphill against traffic, I am riding downhill with traffic - his bars are extra wide, with mirrors sticking out, I'm on my commuter with narrow upswept bars - he expects me to yield to him because I am going downhill, I expect him to yield because he's the jackass riding against traffic. He gets in my face, calls me a rude asshole flips me off and keeps going.
Just a fair warning, get in my face again and your bikes going in the river - ain't nobody got time for that - ride with respect and on the RIGHT side of the road and this won't happen.

GoPro on Monday please :)

May 22, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

gawdamn singlecoil, your life is a fucking mess.
Good luck with that.

May 22, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

Haha, I'm so going to buy a gopro for shit like this, and yes a mess indeed lol. For reals though, life's been pretty good since I've moved out here, other than not having a bed to sleep in and this dude getting me riled up in the morning…I wonder if he'll be riding the wrong way on the way home too… Maybe we don't have to wait until Monday to see round two.

May 22, 2015, 10:05 a.m.

To clarify though, I'm curious, who do you guys think should yield? The person riding in the wrong direction, or the person riding downhill? I understand the hill thing out on the trails, but commuting, I'm fairly certain traffic laws are more important/followed by most.

May 22, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

ride beside him next week, and then push him the fuck over when hes forgotten about you..

+5 Karma…

May 22, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

ride beside him next week, and then push him the fuck over when hes forgotten about you..

+5 Karma…

Deal, he'll probably sink like a stone, guy had a light on every body part I'm pretty sure, mirrors and all that jazz… Maybe I could have just rode past him safely if his bars weren't wider than I am tall..glad I'm not the only one who gets pissed off by people doing this. Lol.

May 22, 2015, 1:47 p.m.

Talking with yourself through NSMB forum is not a good sign. The 5-10 seconds it takes to yield is plenty of time for a relaxing belly breath. Life is short enjoy it.

May 22, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

I'm not sure about knight street (it's been a while) but some bridges have bi-directional bike lanes on one side of the bridge.

It's possible that you are supposed to share that narrow sidewalk/bike lane with the guys coming the other way.

May 22, 2015, 2:02 p.m.

Talking with yourself through NSMB forum is not a good sign. The 5-10 seconds it takes to yield is plenty of time for a relaxing belly breath. Life is short enjoy it.

I stopped and had words with him on the bridge too.

As far as this - "I'm not sure about knight street (it's been a while) but some bridges have bi-directional bike lanes on one side of the bridge.

It's possible that you are supposed to share that narrow sidewalk/bike lane with the guys coming the other way. "

Knight street bridge as separated paths on both sides of the bridge, there is no reason why anyone has to ride against the flow of traffic on either side - you don't even have to cross the road to get to the other side to be going with traffic, you just go under the bridge and up to the other side…slightly inconvenient, maybe - less convenient than causing a scene because somebody (me) didn't feel like giving you the right of way while going against traffic, not really. Know what I am saying?
If everyone is going the same way, nobody has to stop - and as far as I know, the whole uphill vs downhill yield thing is a trail thing, not an everyday out on the roads kind of thing. You don't expect people to yield to you when you drive uphill the wrong way on a one way street in a car do you? lol

May 22, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

On my daily route into work I will ride trails, roads, bike paths and bridges.

On the trails one section is supper narrow with a cement noise barrier on one side
and a 10 foot ditch on the other. Path is wide enough for 1 person. When I encounter a fellow biker / walker no matter what I yield, get smiles and a thanks.

On the roads when going through tricky spots like a round-a-bout even if I am first to enter and I always yield. Smiles and a wave are usually given.

On the bike path if a pedestrian is also using it. "in kits this happens all the time" and a fellow biker is coming up fast behind said pedestrian I always yield and let the biker pass the pedestrian. Smiles and a thanks are what I get.

On the 2nd narrows "before the new bike deck" I always yield to fellow riders / walkers if I am going up or down regardless. A smile and thanks are always given.

You see the pattern here SC?

You get what you give…

May 22, 2015, 3:24 p.m.

On my daily route into work I will ride trails, roads, bike paths and bridges.

On the trails one section is supper narrow with a cement noise barrier on one side
and a 10 foot ditch on the other. Path is wide enough for 1 person. When I encounter a fellow biker / walker no matter what I yield, get smiles and a thanks.

On the roads when going through tricky spots like a round-a-bout even if I am first to enter and I always yield. Smiles and a wave are usually given.

On the bike path if a pedestrian is also using it. "in kits this happens all the time" and a fellow biker is coming up fast behind said pedestrian I always yield and let the biker pass the pedestrian. Smiles and a thanks are what I get.

On the 2nd narrows "before the new bike deck" I always yield to fellow riders / walkers if I am going up or down regardless. A smile and thanks are always given.

You see the pattern here SC?

You get what you give…

I hear you, and honestly I didn't think it was a big deal until he flipped, I passed without stopping because he yielded, I said thanks (he probably didn't hear me) I heard him shout and looked back to see him walking in my direction, so I stopped and did (what I thought was the right thing) which was to calmly explain the direction of traffic and say basically "I guess we were both doing something wrong, my bad." I didn't get angry until he started getting angry. Yes you get what you give. I've taken this route daily rain or shine for two months now without issue, everyone gets a thank you as I pass, but I still don't think its my responsibility to stop and get off my bike when I'm the one following the flow of traffic..

May 22, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

This thread ruined my day

Pastor of Muppets

May 22, 2015, 6:08 p.m.

And thus is why I hate driving in Toronto.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 22, 2015, 6:27 p.m.

And thus is why I hate driving in Toronto.

Well…tbh if you enjoyed driving in Toronto I'd have to wonder what's wrong with you.