Lions Gate/Stanley Park Causeway users - MOTI upgrade proposals....

Dec. 4, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

Here - basically, the proposal is to turn the west sidewalk into cycling ONLY [HTML_REMOVED]one way, downhill[HTML_REMOVED] with the east side being one way cycling [HTML_REMOVED]uphill[HTML_REMOVED] to be shared with two way travelling pedestrians.
The west sidewalk will be strategically widened to allow (safer) passing.
The east sidewalk will have more widening and (minor) diversions around street furniture.

Both sidewalks will have fencing installed to mitigate against incidents such as last years fatality

They've made efforts to reduce the number of trees being removed to a minimum

Thoughts? MOTI are looking for feedback here

Sounds good to me!!

Dec. 4, 2014, 10:02 p.m.

One things that concerns me though, is the potential impact of two way pedestrian traffic and north bound cyclists once off the causeway and on the downhill part of the bridge itself (ie when riders pick up speed)
I doubt pedestrians will bother using the underpass to switch to the opposite sidewalk (even though it's likely safer for them)

Dec. 5, 2014, 8:56 a.m.

I dont really understand the need to ride the causeway when there is a nice road or trails in the park away from traffic.

Dec. 5, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

I dont really understand the need to ride the causeway when there is a nice road or trails in the park away from traffic.

Agreed, that's what I do.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 5, 2014, 9:07 a.m.

The Causeway is the fastest most direct route to lions gate / downtown. 3 minutes vs 15 minutes on trails near by.

The trails are good if you are not running 700 x 23c at 120 psi. The road that goes around the park is actually very dangerous. The cars that go around in the morning are almost always speeding giving very little regard to other users.

The bike further down on the sea wall is like playing froger with runners and other users.

edit.

I personally also like using the trail network and its the way I go most times. I also think that what they are planning to build this with a fence will make this a hazard and an eyesore.

Riders need to slow down for pedestrians and other users along with proper bell usage when making a pass. If that was done then the needed upgrades would not be necessary.

/edit.

Dec. 5, 2014, 9:21 a.m.

the road is pretty decent IMO. Id rather see $$$ go to other cycling infrastructure when there is a reasonable option that adds two minutes to someones bike commute

Dec. 5, 2014, 9:39 a.m.

I feel that the Bike and pedestrian traffic should be kept in the same direction. adding extra variables like two way peds , with a one way bike seems to me to invite more user conflict.

As far as impact on the green space? The causeway is a MAJOR thrufare to downtown . I love our forests and green spaces, BUT for the sake of safety and moving people out of their vehicles and onto GREENER modes of transport. Losing a few meters of green to widen the sidewalks makes the most sense.
I commuted from the northshore to gastown over the bridges 5 days a week for a couple years . found the most dangerous times were with on coming traffic on the same sidewalk .
IMO a overtaking cyclist/pedestrian situation is safer and easier to alert.(bell , whistle , yell what have you)
Head on situations tend to be more trouble filled and debated as to whom has the right of way.

Dec. 5, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

The Causeway is the fastest most direct route to lions gate / downtown. 3 minutes vs 15 minutes on trails near by.

The trails are good if you are not running 700 x 23c at 120 psi.

That 12 minutes could well be the best 12 minutes of your day …

Most of the trails are gravel … 700 X 23c @120 psi with canti brakes on gravel will be just fine - I've done it lots on these:

At least try it - you won't regret it … when it comes to "nice[HTML_REMOVED]safe" versus "expedient" for commuting, "nice[HTML_REMOVED]safe" wins hands down. I used to enter/exit the trial network around Second Beach or North Lagoon Drive (not sure where your entrance/exit point will be). If you are returning from West of the causeway, cross the causeway at the spiral horse bridge to get onto the east side of the LGB.

Dec. 5, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

I try not to use causeway as I said above.

To many hammer heads and E-bike buzzers on the causeway for me.

Most days I will take the following route.

Way to work

Bridal Path to Lost Lagoon.

Way home

South Creek, Beaver Lake, North Creek.

Dec. 5, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

all you guys who say don't use the causeway and to use the trails are "guys"
many women who ride/commute alone at night or other non peak times feel safer on the causeway

Dec. 5, 2014, 6:20 p.m.

many women who ride/commute alone at night or other non peak times feel safer on the causeway

+1…my girlfriend refuses to use the road when its dark, and I can understand why. There can be some sketchy characters roaming around that area pushing their shopping trolleys

Also, this is supposed to encourage new cyclists to commute and the road/trails aren't very appealing to noobs

Anyway, tell MOTI what you think rather than just posting here!

Dec. 5, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

I feel that the Bike and pedestrian traffic should be kept in the same direction. adding extra variables like two way peds , with a one way bike seems to me to invite more user conflict..

Currently, PEDs can and do walk either direction on both sidewalks. At least option removes PEDs from the "fast down hill" side and slower climbing cyclists on the east side should lessen conflicts…

Also, bells are completely and utterly useless on the causeway the majority of time due to (a) traffic noise and (b) peds wearing headphones.

Dec. 6, 2014, 6:44 p.m.

I would not ride the trails at night. I know of a guy that ended up at work the next morning. No bike. No memory. Bleeding from ear and busted helmet. A guy.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.