Lights. How FN bright and why the F do they flash?

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

ummm , i thot we talking about bikes here .

pedestrians , even in mt currie , are supposed to walk facing traffic .

same up north ? :lol:

Same every where these days. Even better when they do it in the bike lane.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 24, 2014, 8:48 a.m.

ummm , i thot we talking about bikes here .

pedestrians , even in mt currie , are supposed to walk facing traffic .

same up north ? :lol:

Many people consider themselves "pedestrians" if they're not in a car.

Up here people seem to walk/ride/dogsled/skidoo in whatever direction the whiskey bottle leads them.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 24, 2014, 2:08 p.m.

Many people consider themselves "pedestrians" if they're not in a car.

Up here people seem to walk/ride/dogsled/skidoo in whatever direction the whiskey bottle leads them.

same here for mopeds. DUI and lost your license? No problem, get a moped and ride it on the bike path. Better yet, use pedestrian crossings to cross roads and expect cars to stop.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 24, 2014, 11:59 p.m.

The other night I came across a guy on the Iron Workers who had a red light on the front of his bike. I thought I was catching him pretty fast until I realized he was coming at me! White on front, red on backā€¦isn't that kind of a known thing!?

I remember pointing out to a customer that he had his lights on the wrong way around, and his answer was "It's like that to confuse motorists" :fruit:

There's just no helping some people.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 25, 2014, 7:49 a.m.

put that on yer epitaph buddy .

Jan. 27, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

think i might have seen d-bag in the OP on the dunsmuir route the other day .

like , broad daylight , on a bike route . . . what are you afraid of buddy ?

Jan. 27, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

It's the cycling equivalent of driving a massive SUV to 'feel safe'. Just look where you are going!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 27, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

think i might have seen d-bag in the OP on the dunsmuir route the other day .

like , broad daylight , on a bike route . . . what are you afraid of buddy ?

commuters running their lights in broad daylight seems silly to me. just like the ones who think they only appropriate cycling gear is rain pants and yellow gore tex jacket - regardless of whether its raining or not.

a lot of bike safety classes stress the importance of being as visible as possible. so while there's no research to support the idea that running your lights during the day makes cyclists more visible/safer, i guess it gives some people peace of mind.

q: why let it bug you; if they are running their lights when they have the least impact on other people, who cares?

I remember pointing out to a customer that he had his lights on the wrong way around, and his answer was "It's like that to confuse motorists"

now that's just stupid. a confused driver is a dangerous driver

i'm not sure if that's more or less stupid than cyclists who refuse to run lights or reflectors, or wear bright colors, so they can be "stealth ninjas" though

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 27, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

commuters running their lights in broad daylight seems silly to me. just like the ones who think they only appropriate cycling gear is rain pants and yellow gore tex jacket - regardless of whether its raining or not.

a lot of bike safety classes stress the importance of being as visible as possible. so while there's no research to support the idea that running your lights during the day makes cyclists more visible/safer, i guess it gives some people peace of mind.

the research can be taken from automobiles and the same reasons as why cars now have daytime running lights - they're more visible.

so while i agree that it makes sense for cyclists to run lights during the day so we're more visible, i don't think it's samrt to run really bright flashing lights aimed up into driver's eyes that will end up annoying motorists.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 27, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

so while i agree that it makes sense for cyclists to run lights during the day so we're more visible, i don't think it's samrt to run really bright flashing lights aimed up into driver's eyes that will end up annoying motorists.

disagree: while a confused motorist is a dangerous one, an annoyed motorist is an aware one. if their annoyance makes them dangerous, they were probably driving on thin psychological or emotional ice anyway

the research can be taken from automobiles and the same reasons as why cars now have daytime running lights - they're more visible.

agree: bike-specific research suggests bright colors do a good job of making you more visible during the day, but it makes sense that what works for cars also works for bikes to some extent

interestingly, my ~30 year old van has daytime running lights, but i notice many new cars do not. i thought it was required by law, now

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 27, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

In the real world I try not to annoy as many people as possible. Life's too short (unless some dick flashes a bright light in my face during the day ;) ). One of the many reasons I'll never be a Critical Massterbator. I just don't see a problem with trying to get along with everyone that uses the streets and sidewalks.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 27, 2014, 12:24 p.m.

interestingly, my ~30 year old van has daytime running lights, but i notice many new cars do not. i thought it was required by law, now

People disconnect them, I'm not sure why.

The law about having DRL with no tail lights is just dumb, there are amazing number of people driving around at night with no headlights and no tail lights on their vehicle because they have DRL.

Jan. 27, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

disagree: while a confused motorist is a dangerous one, an annoyed motorist is an aware one. if their annoyance makes them dangerous, they were probably driving on thin psychological or emotional ice anyway

while there's some truth there i'd come back and say that an annoyed motorist is also a distracted one. either way that's betting your safety on someone else's emotional state - why take that risk? personally, it's something i'd rather not do. and besides, someone who rides with their lights up during the day is probably not going to adjust them for evening riding and that's when it becomes dangerous because you might be blinding someone. i think it makes more sense to take steps so you neither confuse nor annoy other road users while ensuring you are visible. there's a happy medium, so one might as well use it.

as an aside i know we've had this debate before on other road use topics, but at the end of the day the cyclist or pedestrian is the one who'll lose in a collison with a vehicle so i think it simply makes good sense for them to ensure their safety and not rely on others (as you've indidcated above) even if they have the right of way.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 27, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

People disconnect them, I'm not sure why.

The law about having DRL with no tail lights is just dumb, there are amazing number of people driving around at night with no headlights and no tail lights on their vehicle because they have DRL.

I must see at least one person every night driving along Hwy 91 without their headlights on. They are just oblivious and when you flash them your highbeams to try and communicate they just give you a blank stare when you pass.

I think the problem lies with the fact that newer cars have their dash lights on all the time. People just need to pay more attention.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Jan. 27, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

I must see at least one person every night driving along Hwy 91 without their headlights on. They are just oblivious and when you flash them your highbeams to try and communicate they just give you a blank stare when you pass.

I think the problem lies with the fact that newer cars have their dash lights on all the time. People just need to pay more attention.

as usual, what needs to happen is the gov't should change the regs to deal with the idiots out there - rules for the LCD.

Ellen Langer