Lights. How FN bright and why the F do they flash?

Jan. 11, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

buddie i don't make this shit up…100% too legit too quit..

and I'm drinkn yherba matte from it while wearing my new vest right now..

Jan. 11, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

As the OP (who is apparently a big baby but who will not resort to throwing my poo at a 15 year old on the internet like a monkey in the zoo.) I'm going to have to step in to defend Darthyoga..

as the person who called you that baby i will pat you on the back and apologize for that big fella.
I would have been find with you calling me any thing back, and let it roll. After all I was the name caller.
My take on it was inconvenience for a driver to life and limb for the cyclist. Sycnro and me debated the point with out much nastiness and none intended.
I have essentially stopped commuting when it is dark, and raining. I take my lumps else where.

As for the rest of the thread :

WTF, Over?

Jan. 11, 2014, 8:17 p.m.

As for the rest of the thread :

am i the only one who doesn't take this serious at all?

in 10 yrs my sense of humour has never translated well..

but seriously its the intraweb……..unless somebody is showing me how to tune my saw, dial in my bike , or spot some awesome ladies….meh..

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

Lost in all of this, if your headlight is the bright one that is irritating drivers then you are either overtaking (in which case, it's your job to be aware) or going against the flow of traffic (in which case, you should be on a divided bike lane). In general, drivers will approach from the back and that is where the need for greater visibility is.

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

if your using your super bright light on strobe on two way bike lanes you are a knob.

most of my ride is on two way bike lanes and there are few dicks out there running crazy high beam blinkers

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:28 a.m.

if your using your super bright light on strobe on two way bike lanes you are a knob.

most of my ride is on two way bike lanes and there are few dicks out there running crazy high beam blinkers

Oops that would be me. Bright light - yes, blinking - yes, but to my defense the light is aimed somewhat down.

Perhaps it is just luck, but most cars stop at stop signs as I approach and can be seen when it is raining and dark out.

Maybe taking a queue from the 29r thread I should have my commuter setup completely stealth and wear dark non-reflective clothing and no lights and riding ninja-commando - what could go wrong with that. At least I wouldn't be one of those dicks running crazy high beam blinkers.

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

just as long as you know your fucking over every other commuter coming the other way.

nothing like the blinding strobe light in your face as you ride along. really i dont even mind a high beam faced down. the strobe sucks though.

I run 1600 Lumen light on low pointed down. I think the next time strobe knob rides my way ill tilt it up and lay on the lumens.

Jan. 13, 2014, 12:01 p.m.

am i the only one who doesn't take this serious at all?

in 10 yrs my sense of humour has never translated well..

but seriously its the intraweb……..unless somebody is showing me how to tune my saw, dial in my bike , or spot some awesome ladies….meh..

Your lack of taking this a serouz bizness offends me.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 14, 2014, 9:16 p.m.

Well with this thread and the comments on the Hustler article, I spent way way way too much time on nsmb today.
Because I liked the reflective rim strips, I feel like this could be shared here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIwcYmOzLoE

Now you just need to figure out how to make it flash :shhh:

Jan. 15, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

late to the party but here are my 0.02$

i hate super bright, flashing lights pointed straight in my face by oncoming cyclists when i'm riding on a bike route. its annoying as :censored: and either inconsiderate or disrespectful (i'm not presuming to know why cyclists run their lights this way). when riding on a bike route with a light of decent brightness i try to keep it aimed at the ground so as not to annoy or distract other cyclists.

when i'm on a street of any descent size at night, i run my lights pretty low and blinking if possible. i trust ambient street lighting and bright colors to keep my visible for the most part, and stay aware of cars. but i don't generally ride on major streets at night, as car headlights help me stay very aware of cars in the dark so i'd rather be on smaller streets.

when i'm riding on small, narrow streets i generally run my lights bright and in your face. i'll flip them down if i see a cyclist heading towards me, but i think its a good thing for car drivers to be startled, slow down and/or give me right of way if they are heading towards me on a narrow street. we're both safer for it.

the anger of drivers towards cyclists and bike street calming infrastructure unfortunate, and most of it is misguided. i talk to a lot of people about transportation in my line of work, most of them parents. pedestrians and cyclists tend to be very aware of real safety issues on their routes and in their communities. drivers on the other hand tend to focus overwhelmingly on comfort and convenience, and often confuse these with safety.

its quite well proven that roads that make drivers uncomfortable are among the safest for all road users. cruising along at high speeds and not paying attention is a recipe for high-consequence accidents. being uncertain and moving slowly reduces your chance of causing or being in a collision, and the chances that any collision will lead to a serious injury. the things that drivers tend to whine about: cyclists on the road, vehicle congestion, traffic circles, etc. are actually the things that help keep roads safe. but they require drivers to be alert and vigilant, which makes drivers uncomfortable and :censored:s with their sense of entitlement to convenient and unthinking use of any and all roads.

/rant

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 21, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

The other night I came across a guy on the Iron Workers who had a red light on the front of his bike. I thought I was catching him pretty fast until I realized he was coming at me! White on front, red on back…isn't that kind of a known thing!?

Jan. 21, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

Ive been inspired by this thread to give the 1600 lumen high beams to Mr double ultra light strobe guy every day. but he hasnt quite figured it out yet.what i dont understand is It cant be enjoyable to ride around in the dark with a strobe light on.

Jan. 21, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

ads , that is just further proof that you can't fix stupid .

reminds me of the idiots you see riding the wrong way on the highway around whis .

either transplanted from another continent and haven't figured it out yet , or have somehow rationalized that it's " safer " to set up a head on collision .

i've even seen our former mayor pull this stunt .

pisses me off i never see the cops giving these guys a bit of tune up .

Jan. 21, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

ads , that is just further proof that you can't fix stupid .

reminds me of the idiots you see riding the wrong way on the highway around whis .

either transplanted from another continent and haven't figured it out yet , or have somehow rationalized that it's " safer " to set up a head on collision .

i've even seen our former mayor pull this stunt .

pisses me off i never see the cops giving these guys a bit of tune up .

arent there signs in Mt currie advising to walk against the flow of traffic?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 22, 2014, 5:50 a.m.

ummm , i thot we talking about bikes here .

pedestrians , even in mt currie , are supposed to walk facing traffic .

same up north ? :lol: