Lights. How FN bright and why the F do they flash?

Jan. 10, 2014, 3:31 p.m.

That's it, now I am going to turn my lights right into drivers eye level.

:rolleyes:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 3:39 p.m.

for my daily commute I use a Surface True 500 "500 lumen" that I custom rigged some 3M Dual Lock to mount on my helmet.

It is very bright focused beam and on the helmet you can choose what to point it at. Drivers creeping out of side streets not looking in the direction of traffic is always the worst place to be when on a bike and it happens all the time. Having this light on a helmet gives me ability to light the inside of the car up like it was the 4th of July.

Never had a pissed off driver yell at me. Surprised looks as they jam on the breaks realizing they were 2 seconds away from creaming me yes. Even had a few drivers pull up beside me asking were I purchased such a great light.

But never hate.

It does have strobe feature but I never use because it is a little over the top.

Jan. 10, 2014, 3:39 p.m.

As the OP (who is apparently a big baby but who will not resort to throwing my poo at a 15 year old on the internet like a monkey in the zoo.) I'm going to have to step in to defend Darthyoga. 500 lumens isn't even that bright in the grand scheme of bike lights. And I don't think that you're even remotely close to being a problem cyclist. You sound like quite a reasonable cyclist who is addressing concerns for safety.

On the market though are lights which produce 2000-3000 lumens which many of us use to ride the shore at night. Some commuters though are also using these as headlights to commute to work. On high and in flash mode. The Xeccon Sogn 700 on high is 2500 lumens. In comparison the headlights on my Ranger are 700 (1400 total) per side on low and 1200 (2400 total) per side on high. So the Xeccon is brighter than the high beams on my truck. As common sense would dictate I don't drive around town with my high beams on so why would I drive around town with a light on my bike that bright. Especially one that is flashing?

So you see where the problem lies. There is a range where you would consider the light to be safe and making yourself visable (like Darthyoga and her 500 lumen light). And then the range where you're being dangerous and quite frankly a rude arrogant person. Now my guess is that there will be a city bylaw coming eventually to regulate this unless the cycling community self regulates itself and uses some common sense.

Syncro: Up to the point of name calling I thought you had put forward some very good points that made this thread a very educational discussion.

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:12 p.m.

buddie you better go rub one out…shits gettn backed up..

(anything but the c word)

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:13 p.m.

buddie you better go rub one out…shits gettn backed up..

(anything but the c word)

it's just a word man, nice that it has good effect though.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

its a RUDE word….thast cool..im hearing that cyndi lauper song in my mind right now…(not girls wanna have fun)

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:32 p.m.

its a RUDE word

yup, i don't disagree with that. anyway, me you and the rest of the universe can continue to piss over this ad verbatim till the new year - not worth it.

the fact of the matter is as cyclists it would be good for us to take a bit of time to align our lights in a manner that doesn't annoy other road users while still giving us good protection.

i don't see that as an unreasonable request by any stretch of the imagination.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:48 p.m.

oh sure brush it under the rug….

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

_ drive a van without a back window.When I have to make a right turn across a bike lane . I cannot see the bikes in my mirror they are to far back from the road. I try to stop for a few seconds before crossing. I have almost hit a few commuters. So you guys be aware a lot of vehicles cant see you_

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:28 p.m.

douchebagfuckdickassholecumvacuumsquidlytwattycunt

picture.

I forgive you, Syncro. I'm ornary at the best of times and not everyone gets what I say. I don't harbour any maliciousness towards you. Just so you know, my lights are angled down, on the low setting, strobes are for daylight. I no more ride a bike to annoy drivers than I have a cumvacuumsquiddlytwat.
PS, that is probably the best nasty word I have been called though, I'll have to write that down.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:35 p.m.

I forgive you, Syncro. I'm ornary at the best of times and not everyone gets what I say. I don't harbour any maliciousness towards you. Just so you know, my lights are angled down, on the low setting, strobes are for daylight. I no more ride a bike to annoy drivers than I have a cumvacuumsquiddlytwat.
PS, that is probably the best nasty word I have been called though, I'll have to write that down.

ok thanks, but i wasn't looking for or needing forgiveness from you.

it's nice to know however that your lights are angled down and not set up to "piss people off" as you asserted with your first and subsequent posts. that's a better result for everyone on the road.

anyway, this thread could have ended with the third post. there's wasn't much need to go beyond that.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:38 p.m.

So,how about them canucks?

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:41 p.m.

So,how about them canucks?

fuck you asshole.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:42 p.m.

;)

Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 6:48 p.m.

I'm telling.

Pastor of Muppets