Knight St Bridge Question

March 23, 2015, 12:52 p.m.

Hey there fellow cyclist commuters!
I was just wondering, does anyone have experience with the knight st bridge? Will be starting a job on Mitchell Island in two weeks and I am looking for any and all advice for this apparently terrible commuting bridge.
Lots of people seem to say that the "path" is very narrow and a terrible ride, but this doesn't look too bad?
My main concern is getting on/off the bridge, anyone willing to go for a ride and show me around? Will be living in North Richmond, 6 KM east of the airport.
Cheers.
Photo of bridge/path I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Street_Bridge#/media/File:Knight_Street_Bridge.jpg

March 23, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

If you're coming from the north end of richmond, get over to sideway/jacombs rd and follow that down to the ikea. From there, do a quick left then right onto Sweden way. Take a right on Vulcan way, then when you're under the bridge head south and scurry up the embankment on either side (east side if you're heading north of course, west side heading home) hope the barrier and ride across from there. Aside from having to hop off your bike, this will be the most pleasant route.

The entries/exits at the south end are brutal, and above route avoids them. In heavy traffic i will sometimes ride on the bridge deck since traffic is slower and more predictable. Downside is that bridge is often littered with debris and drivers generally don't give a lot of love, that and you're elbow to elbow with semi trucks.

March 23, 2015, 1:38 p.m.

very helpful reegs, thanks a lot. I will have a week or so before I start work, so I will have to go down and poke around that route to check it out. I think on the way home I might end up heading north and then cross the fraser on the north arm pedestrian path, just to round out my route - although it will depend on how I am feeling of course.

March 23, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

here are the approximate start and finish points of my journey (maps made it take Viking up onto the bridge, but I see on street view the embankment you are talking about scurrying up. Doesn't look too bad, surely will whip me into shape haha

March 23, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

You don't want to be riding along Bridgeport at any time of the day.

I used to commute along River Road [HTML_REMOVED] Vulcan Way (UBC to North Delta) and that is a decent route.

Check the Richmond bike route map.

March 23, 2015, 6:42 p.m.

You don't want to be riding along Bridgeport at any time of the day.

I used to commute along River Road [HTML_REMOVED] Vulcan Way (UBC to North Delta) and that is a decent route.

Check the Richmond bike route map.

I meant to update and say I actually had just planned on that, down the trail onto river road up to Vulcan way, thank you for the heads up though, do you have a good link to the maps by chance for the cycle paths and routes? Or just on city of Richmond website? I couldn't seem to get large enough prints to be able to see/read details.

Thank you for the heads up.

March 23, 2015, 10:28 p.m.

It is a PDF so you can zoom in:
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/trails_and_cycling_map34816.pdf

March 24, 2015, 4:48 a.m.

It is a PDF so you can zoom in:
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/trails_and_cycling_map34816.pdf

Thank you, just need to download a PDF reader to my.phone now (no computer at the moment).

April 9, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

Am I and idiot for riding on the RIGHT side of the bridge with traffic? Seems like everyone rides against traffic, pass the same people everyday and am considering telling them to learn to ride…maybe things are different here though?