Iron Worker Memorial Bridge Sidewalk Expansion Project

June 11, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

I find that the top traffic side guard rail, the ~10 cm by ~10 cm one, is about eye height for a road biker, so you can't see around the corner
especially a problem for north bound riders on the east side
I know of a serious accident (head injuries with helmet) for riders who did not see road debris placed in the curved part of the sidewalk until too late
Also saw a guy on a time trial bike flying down at over 50kmph suddenly apply brakes, which scritched ineffectively on the carbon rims and he slid his right shoulder at speed along the outer guard rail most of the way around the corner. I expected to see blood all along the rail since it is so rough and rusty, didn't see any, but I hope he has a tetanus shot

June 11, 2013, 7:19 p.m.

I noticed yesterday that there are now "No Bikes" signs at both ends of Low Level Road. I wonder if they'll be enforcing it, or if they are assuming that most cyclists would rather not risk an unpleasant interaction with heavy equipment.

The signs I saw this evening said 'Bike Lane Closed' not 'No Bikes' so I guess technically/legally you could continue to ride LLR

June 11, 2013, 7:21 p.m.

Probably the LLR, even with the "closure", but to avoid it I'd go up Lonsdale to 2nd, stay on 2nd to Moody Ave., then up Moody to 3rd, and follow 3rd / Cotton / Main to the bike shop. As Duncan said, the junction of 3rd and the LLR where it becomes Cotton is a bit dodgy, especially at that time of day.

Thanks…I rode down 3rd and had no problem joining the LLR - at peak hours, the traffic actually crawls along LLR so merging isn't particularly difficult. I'd imagine it would be worse when traffic on the LLR is lighter and moving faster…

June 12, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

Thanks…I rode down 3rd and had no problem joining the LLR - at peak hours, the traffic actually crawls along LLR so merging isn't particularly difficult. I'd imagine it would be worse when traffic on the LLR is lighter and moving faster…

The route through Moody Park is really nice.

June 18, 2013, 12:55 p.m.

Officially the footpaths are 2-way (according to the City of Vancouver which is responsible for the bridge) where "Cyclists use sidewalk only Yield right of way to pedestrians" - basically you stop and make nice before you pass.

The bridge and approaches are under the jurisdiction of the Province (Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure).

June 23, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Unofficially, people cycling in the road traffic direction have right of way over those going in the opposite direction yield.

Officially, FYI.

July 18, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

Looks like the tender has been approved and plans are underway. Signs are now up warning that Between July 2013 and March 2015 only one sidewalk will be open to cyclists and pedestrians

http://www.nsnews.com/news/Bridge+sidewalks+wider/8273165/story.html

July 24, 2013, 10:53 a.m.

So, I went to the open house last night about the expansion. Very informative. They are closing one side for approx 8 months (starting in the winter), once the one side is completed they will begin on the other. No decision has been made as to which side will be shut down first as that is up to the contractor.

New lights will be installed and 3m fencing, the width will increase from the current 1.2m to 2.5m.

Once completed the plan is to have the sidewalks uni-directional.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 26, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2767983]

Once completed the plan is to have the sidewalks uni-directional.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm … will kinda suck for me. If uni-directional solution was that simple, people wouldn't be taking the risk playing chicken on the sidewalk like they do now. I wonder how they will enforce it. Improving paved trail access from the South end West side to North Burnaby will help things. Right now its a fairly steep gravel trail, probably not rideable on a road bike.

July 31, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

Duncan,

They did mention that they are working on improving the access points and have been in consultation with HUB regarding improving these areas. Technically, the bridge is uni-directional now, but they put up the signs about yeilding after complaints from commuters about those who did not know the rules.

Oct. 8, 2013, 10:51 a.m.

To the lady who is commuting northbound regularly on the 2nd Narrows Bridge in a walking cast on your left foot … you rock!

Nov. 29, 2013, 9:36 a.m.

Sooooo …. work was supposed to have started in July. Is now almost December and I don't see any work being done (unless the priming work is being done by Trolls who under Union regulations only work under the bridge). Another broken election promise? (I think that was the timing of the announcement).

Nov. 29, 2013, 1:09 p.m.

According to the guys at the public consulting meeting construction is scheduled to begin during the winter months when there would be less impact as there are less commuters during those months.

Nov. 29, 2013, 2:44 p.m.

Sooooo …. work was supposed to have started in July. Is now almost December and I don't see any work being done (unless the priming work is being done by Trolls who under Union regulations only work under the bridge). Another broken election promise? (I think that was the timing of the announcement).

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayprojects/IronWorkers/contact.htm

Contact info for project manager.

Nov. 29, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayprojects/IronWorkers/contact.htm

Contact info for project manager.

Can't we have you as our inside man at MoTI now that you've got some spare time? :)