Iron Worker Memorial Bridge Sidewalk Expansion Project

March 10, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052cSSSjSvo

I don't like the idea of a bike lane that boxes-in cyclists against 20 ft retaining wall, especially while having to share the road with large commercial vehicles on that route. Given the choice, I would do the small hillcimb and take the Spirit Trail to avoid riding against the wall while dealing with debris, puddles, drivers who drive too close to the bike lane and turbulence from passing trucks. Just my first reaction from watching the video.

March 12, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

I don't like the idea of a bike lane that boxes-in cyclists against 20 ft retaining wall, especially while having to share the road with large commercial vehicles on that route. Given the choice, I would do the small hillcimb and take the Spirit Trail to avoid riding against the wall while dealing with debris, puddles, drivers who drive too close to the bike lane and turbulence from passing trucks. Just my first reaction from watching the video.

+1…I thought the bikes lanes were going to be physically separated. I'll be dis-appointed if this proposal is adopted…

March 13, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

proposal

Pretty sure the low road work is a done deal, it's already started with the tree removal.

April 23, 2013, 6:37 a.m.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/Bridge+sidewalks+wider/8273165/story.html

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

April 23, 2013, 4:22 p.m.

That looks really good to me, bike lanes will be wider than before and probably drain instead of puddling. You are riding against a retaining wall, just like before, but on the eastbound side, you're not riding against the trains.

The whole eastern end looks like it flows together way better, easier/safer to access the bike lanes.

Plus you have the Spirit Trail if you want to stay away from car traffic completely.

May 26, 2013, 12:36 p.m.

What are you now, an urban cycling advocate?

Time to grow a beard Mr.Bond.

I received a letter the other day giving notice that the Adanac bike route was getting expanded and they were go to make a section through Grandview Woodlands closed to vehicle traffic.

June 9, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

Pretty sure the low road work is a done deal, it's already started with the tree removal.

I noticed yesterday that there are now "No Bikes" signs at both ends of Low Level Road. I wonder if they'll be enforcing it, or if they are assuming that most cyclists would rather not risk an unpleasant interaction with heavy equipment.

June 10, 2013, 8:27 a.m.

Extending your horizon a little bit and you'll find that there's going to be a new poop factory right next to the Pemby pub!

I do hope the 2nd narrows sidewalk plan goes ahead. I'm becoming terrified of that crossing whilst on a bike, esp the road bike. I feel very high up and exposed - my COG is above the top of the handrail.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 10, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

I noticed yesterday that there are now "No Bikes" signs at both ends of Low Level Road. I wonder if they'll be enforcing it, or if they are assuming that most cyclists would rather not risk an unpleasant interaction with heavy equipment.

I rode eastbound on the LLR last week. The road crew puts all the car and truck signage in the shoulder/"bike lane". I had to weave in an out of it. Riding 3rd eastbound is a clusterf*ck as a cyclist you are forced to merge and cross lanes onto the junction of the low level where the speed limit is 60 km/s but people regularly do 80 or 90 km/h. I'll probably have to take 3rd Ave tomorrow.

June 11, 2013, 9:59 a.m.

Question to commuters on Ironworkers, what is the proper etiquette for this bridge ?

Who has right of way ?

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

June 11, 2013, 1:09 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2757911]Question to commuters on Ironworkers, what is the proper etiquette for this bridge ?

Who has right of way ?[/QUOTE]

Officially the footpaths are 2-way (according to the City of Vancouver which is responsible for the bridge) where "Cyclists use sidewalk only Yield right of way to pedestrians" - basically you stop and make nice before you pass.

[IMG]http://nsvacc.cheakamus.com/images/thumb/b/b6/DSC02879.JPG/800px-DSC02879.JPG[/IMG]

Unofficially, people cycling in the road traffic direction have right of way over those going in the opposite direction yield. Pedestrians are usually pretty good at giving way. I can tell you as a vary rare sometimes I cross as a pedestrian it is pretty unnerving walking across the bridge knowing that someone could be barreling in at 40+ km/h right behind your back.

Occasionally there are newbies who think they know the "rules" who don't and will lecture people about their own "rules", and there is the very, very rare case of people not yielding for whatever reason (bad childhood, going through a rough divorce, didn't take their meds etc).

http://nsvacc.cheakamus.com/index.php/Iron_Workers_Memorial_%28Second_Narrows%29_Bridge

June 11, 2013, 2:37 p.m.

thanks,

I had a guy yell at me as I was yeilding to the climbing cyclist, plus I always get vertigo on that darn bridge and wanted to stop. Needless to say dude behind me took great offense to my urge to stop :(

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

June 11, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

I need to get from Lonsdale Quay to Different Bikes NV on my bike tonight and time will be tight as they close at 6.

What's currently the fastest route?

June 11, 2013, 4:19 p.m.

Probably the LLR, even with the "closure", but to avoid it I'd go up Lonsdale to 2nd, stay on 2nd to Moody Ave., then up Moody to 3rd, and follow 3rd / Cotton / Main to the bike shop. As Duncan said, the junction of 3rd and the LLR where it becomes Cotton is a bit dodgy, especially at that time of day.

June 11, 2013, 5:03 p.m.

I need to get from Lonsdale Quay to Different Bikes NV on my bike tonight and time will be tight as they close at 6.

What's currently the fastest route?

I'm under the impression the "no bikes" signs are just on the section of paved pathway, and you can still ride the road. In the eastbound direction, you ride on the paved shoulder with lots of room but varying amounts of shrapnel.

flickr