How far do you or would you commute to work by bike? Even in wet weather?

May 12, 2022, 3:46 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Trying to figure out the logistics for a 91km round trip commute.

I absolutely loathe sitting in traffic, the freeways here are logjam mess and gas is through the roof.

But still...thats a long way. I bike commuted for many years but I'm not sure it was that far before.

That sounds like a good scenario for an ebike. You can still get some exercise in, use more "boost" on days that you don't feel great, still get it done in a reasonable time and save money on gas. I wouldn't necessarily mind a longer distance ride, but the time becomes a factor like Vik said. A goal for me has been to keep my commutes to 30 minutes if I'm driving  and 45 if I'm pedaling.

May 12, 2022, 4 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I absolutely loathe sitting in traffic, the freeways here are logjam mess and gas is through the roof.

But still...thats a long way. I bike commuted for many years but I'm not sure it was that far before.

That sounds like a good scenario for an ebike. You can still get some exercise in, use more "boost" on days that you don't feel great, still get it done in a reasonable time and save money on gas. I wouldn't necessarily mind a longer distance ride, but the time becomes a factor like Vik said. A goal for me has been to keep my commutes to 30 minutes if I'm driving  and 45 if I'm pedaling.

Yes, I am leaning towards that solution.  Just because of the distance involved.

I have a Tazer eeb right now but it wouldn't be great for that kind of trip. Thinking of an urban type.

I used to use my Xtracycle for commuting and it worked pretty well. Thought about a cargo ebike but man, they are huge and so heavy.

May 14, 2022, 3 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yes, I am leaning towards that solution.  Just because of the distance involved.

I have a Tazer eeb right now but it wouldn't be great for that kind of trip. Thinking of an urban type.

I used to use my Xtracycle for commuting and it worked pretty well. Thought about a cargo ebike but man, they are huge and so heavy.

I have a radwagon; best investment ever. Hardly drive except on weekends to get places, but otherwise I live on the bike. I have a giant box on the back for groceries/gear/dog, and just in the process of designing a bike mount for it so I can ride it to the trailhead. Do it, it’s cheap and cheerful for what it is: 7spd freewheel and chain means incidentals are dirt cheap. 

I’ve had zero problems with mine and I ride the shit out of it in all weather. Only cost are the amount of brake pads I go through, but that is the caveat of riding fast on a heavy bike. Seriously it’s a no brainer, especially in light of recent and ever increasing gas prices.

May 15, 2022, 8:37 a.m.

Posted by: Spandies

I have a radwagon; best investment ever. Hardly drive except on weekends to get places, but otherwise I live on the bike. I have a giant box on the back for groceries/gear/dog, and just in the process of designing a bike mount for it so I can ride it to the trailhead. Do it, it’s cheap and cheerful for what it is: 7spd freewheel and chain means incidentals are dirt cheap. 

I’ve had zero problems with mine and I ride the shit out of it in all weather. Only cost are the amount of brake pads I go through, but that is the caveat of riding fast on a heavy bike. Seriously it’s a no brainer, especially in light of recent and ever increasing gas prices.

Checked them out, good price. I do like my Xtracycle a lot, cargo bikes are like pickup trucks.  I used to use mine for everything. 

Is the radwagon class 1? I couldn't find the info on that.

Thank you for the suggestion!

May 18, 2022, 4:58 p.m.

Yes, it’s a class 1, so limited to 30kph. I ride mine like a giant road bike, get a good workout if I want to hustle to get somewhere. Depending on your commute distance and the gas you would otherwise use, this bike pays itself off in months. The e-assist is rudimentary, but for a commuter it’s good enough. I’ve had a lot of bikes in my life, this has been one of my favourites not only for its practicality, but because it’s good fun to ride. Happy shopping!