How far do you or would you commute to work by bike? Even in wet weather?

March 1, 2022, 1:50 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Mic

Currently I have a hard time getting back on the "three times a week commute by bike" train ... dark, wet and cold weather along with lots of not so nice stuff at work, Corona being one of that. Moved house end of last year and have about 15 to 20km one way with 250 to 300 mtr of climbing one way, about half of it on designated bike lanes and paths. 

I have tried all alternative routes, longer ones with less climbing and less cars and traffic in the last years but commuting by bike has just become kind of incredibly boring and somewhat dull. Motivation is out of the window it seems.

Maybe set some more modest goals like commute 1 day/week if weather is reasonable one of the days? I find with any challenge like this getting something happening that feels like success...however modest... makes me feel good and then it's easier to build on it. Even one 30-40km round trip commute per week is great. Nothing to sneeze at.

True and wise words that are hard to follow though. I have been known for some pretty stupid challenges and situations others would not consider healthy, like starting a Gran Fondo ride without breakfast, among others. Well, I can only say that I try and do my best to not ride myself into that wall again, that is a dark and unhappy place to be...but despite my age it seems that I can not get rid of that motivation to test me again and again in ways not really well thought out. 

Example: Original plan was to ride three times a week in Feb and at least 4 times throughout the weeks of March - which is not going to happen. Another example would be a planned Everest in Tyrol this coming summer, but given the above thoughts about my propensity to rush into things without any proper planning (kind of like a squirrel with a good idea) it would be wise to continue riding as much as I can this coming season, collect loads of uphill miles - and try my hand at the Everest in 2023.

March 1, 2022, 6:25 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

^^^

That was a big consideration at my last worksite. At the new site however I'm about 15min closer and have the advantage of being on bike routes the whole way, which significantly decreases the risk factor. There's also the bonus of on-site laundry, so even if I get wet I can wash my riding gear and have it clean/dry for the ride home. Looking at the price of gas today I was thinking it's definitely time to start commuting on a consistent basis.

Dedicated bike routes, on site laundry, and a shower (if I remember your first post correctly) are all checks in the "Pro" column.  I'd still be nervous about commuting in the dark, but with all the amenities at your disposal and the price of gas I would probably give it a shot.

March 20, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

60km round trip Lynn Valley to UBC for 20 over years @ 250,000km + 

The trick was to figure out distance vs gear wear / tear.

Single speed was the winner over all. 18 / 36 gear ratio and you are good for anything.

Tear down entire bike 1 X month after 1,200 km for full lube.

March 22, 2022, 3:14 a.m.

Posted by: Silk

60km round trip Lynn Valley to UBC for 20 over years @ 250,000km + 

The trick was to figure out distance vs gear wear / tear.

Single speed was the winner over all. 18 / 36 gear ratio and you are good for anything.

Tear down entire bike 1 X month after 1,200 km for full lube.

Holy 🤯

That is some serious riding. I am speechless. How many meters of climbing was that? 

And how did you fight boredom or sluggishness or simply being tired?

March 31, 2022, 8:31 p.m.

No boredom on the bike ever. Regret of throwing a leg over in the worst conditions that rainy Vancouver has, yes... So much regret.

But never boredom.

At this point, at my age. If I stop boredom will become a problem.

Last edited by: Silk on March 31, 2022, 8:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2022, 8:58 p.m.

I Jinxed myself!!!

This makes 4 Kona frames I have retired on my daily commute since 2001

This decided to happen flying down the hill on 4th out of UBC and I Almost bought the farm.

May 10, 2022, 9:02 p.m.

Whoa! I'm glad you are okay.

May 10, 2022, 9:20 p.m.

Whoa! I'm glad you are okay.

Never ignore the creaking sounds thinking it is the seat or old peddles. 

My bad for not following my own advice. A few months ago the sound started and I checked my seat "yup creaking" all good... 

Not...

May 11, 2022, 6:02 a.m.

I can't ride a noisy bike so any creaks get investigated and solved pretty quickly. Mostly it's not anything dangerous, but I did find a frame crack one time.

May 11, 2022, 11:51 a.m.

Trying to figure out the logistics for a 91km round trip commute.

I absolutely loathe sitting in traffic, the freeways here are logjam mess and gas is through the roof.

But still...thats a long way. I bike commuted for many years but I'm not sure it was that far before.

May 11, 2022, 1:04 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

I absolutely loathe sitting in traffic, the freeways here are logjam mess and gas is through the roof.

But still...thats a long way. I bike commuted for many years but I'm not sure it was that far before.

I had a 25K train + 25K bike x 2 commute for a few years that I skipped the train section and rode the whole 100K round trip occasionally. In summer with good weather and at peak bike fitness it wasn't bad, but a ~4hr/day commute wouldn't be sustainable for me as a regular thing year round.

May 11, 2022, 1:04 p.m.

I had a 25K train + 25K bike x 2 commute for a few years that I skipped the train section and rode the whole 100K round trip occasionally. In summer with good weather and at peak bike fitness it wasn't bad, but a ~4hr/day commute wouldn't be sustainable for me as a regular thing year round.

May 11, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

Yeah, I used to do 60k round trip everyday in the desert heat, I was pretty wiped out at the end of the week.

I don't think I could do it everyday but even once or twice a week would be a nice break.

May 11, 2022, 6:03 p.m.

Yeah, I used to do 60k round trip everyday in the desert heat, I was pretty wiped out at the end of the week.

I don't think I could do it everyday but even once or twice a week would be a nice break.

My thought with bike commutes is try it once with no pressure about doing it again or at any specific frequency. See what happens. I find not forcing it makes the whole thing less of a "job" and more fun.

May 12, 2022, 3:20 p.m.

my commute is 20km/300m climb one-way, going up to 30km+ soon. I recently converted an old commuter bike to electric power. Its a great option to have if I'm feeling particularly tired or the weather is crappy. Only downside is that I don't get much exercise on it, so I still do most trips on my pedal bike.