How far do you or would you commute to work by bike? Even in wet weather?

Sept. 9, 2021, 8:22 p.m.

Consider that you'd have access to shower facilities and that the return trip would be in the evening around 9pm, how far/long would you be willing to ride for? Including in wet weather?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 10, 2021, 12:36 p.m.

I am still working out the details, but I would have a 54 mile round trip commute to work right now.

I used to have a similar commute when I was younger, rain or shine.

I had a 25 mile round trip that was the perfect length.

Sept. 10, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

I'm debating the merits of a 40km round trip commute. The distance or rain doesn't bother me so much as the trip time and more importantly the return trip in the evening which would be in the dark. I looked at a combo of Transit/riding but it would actually take longer than just riding the whole thing. A combo of transit/running would be the longest and driving would be the shortest. An ebike would cut the commute time down by about 20 minutes or so, but I still have the night riding to deal with and I don't really have space for another bike.  I can do a 30min drive or have a total of 90 minutes by bike with allowing for the faffing about with the bike before and after.

Sept. 10, 2021, 4:29 p.m.

My commute is 20km each way. Average 1 hr of riding. I used to ride year round, but winter riding in the rain and dark has lost its appeal. Still ride most days outside of monsoon season though.

Sept. 11, 2021, 8:07 a.m.

i commute 22km total each day

Sept. 11, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

You don't have to commute by the same method all the time.

How many days per week would you be commuting?

Sept. 11, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

Inbound 15km and 100m vert

Outbound 15km and 250m vert

Its a pleasure to be able to ride in and it's short enough. Not sure if I'd manage a 50km+ everyday that some people do.

Luckily a lot of my route is grade separated bike lanes so a rainy night ride isn't as sketchy as it might be otherwise. Even if a route is longer it's prob a good idea to ride that way in those conditions

Sept. 11, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

For me it would depend on how good the cycling infrastructure is on the route. I'm not keen on riding on busy roads in the dark. Actually not even when it's light.

I used to do 40 km each way occasionally when I lived in Holland, including in the winter and in the dark but it was all flat and on separate car-free cycling paths. Like that it was enjoyable but I still wouldn't do that distance every day.

Here I did North Shore to downtown a couple times a week for a while, ~15 km each way and mostly car-free (Spirit Trail - Lions Gate - Stanley Park - Seawall). Perfect distance and one of the most scenic bike commutes in the world.

I would probably want to try out the route a few times to see if I like it before making a decision .

Sept. 11, 2021, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

For me it would depend on how good the cycling infrastructure is on the route. I'm not keen on riding on busy roads in the dark. Actually not even when it's light.

I'm pretty much the same.

I can use the Central Valley Greenway, 10th Ave bike route, Arbutus Greenway and then 29th Ave bike route which puts pretty much the whole thing on a separated bike path or a dedicated bike route. Only a few blocks would be on main roads. Some of it is lit well and some isn't. It should be an hour each way as the hills are pretty much split. Not sure if I'd do it 5 days/wk tho. It's an easy way to boost cardio, save money on gas and of course more enviro friendly. When I worked DT it was an easier choice as it was the same commute time whether I biked or drove - 25-30min. And the ride wasn't difficult enough that it interfered with my strength workouts. With the new  work location on then West side the drive is still 30min but the bike time doubles, and that will make a difference on the strength workouts.

Oct. 10, 2021, 12:28 a.m.

Time of day doesn't matter as much as route. I used to bike on river road every morning and in the winter months, I used a night riding light as it was pitch black. Your route sounds pretty safe so I wouldn't hesitate if I was so inclined. I would find riding at 9pm would be a little much. After a long day of work at 9pm, I may not really enjoy riding. 

As for winter months, you can do it on all but the worst days. Bike paths may not be as rideable in the snow. When it snowed I used to have to change my route to white rock. My usual was river road, over the Alex Fraser but when it snowed, river road and Alex Fraser didn't get plowed well. I'd switch to Kingsway, patullo and straight down king Edward. Main roads ride better in the snow.

Oct. 11, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

Its a pleasure to be able to ride in and it's short enough. Not sure if I'd manage a 50km+ everyday that some people do.

Luckily a lot of my route is grade separated bike lanes so a rainy night ride isn't as sketchy as it might be otherwise. Even if a route is longer it's prob a good idea to ride that way in those conditions

Yeah 50km is a bit much unless the only thing a person does is bike.

sent you a pm

Oct. 11, 2021, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Yeah 50km is a bit much unless the only thing a person does is bike.

sent you a pm

I know a few who e-bike to work 40km to leave themselves juice to mountain bike. All depends when you are in your life and how much you can commit to fitness I guess

Oct. 19, 2021, 1:11 p.m.

I know a few who e-bike to work 40km to leave themselves juice to mountain bike. All depends when you are in your life and how much you can commit to fitness I guess

That's my plan for when my company moves next year. Commute is going from 20 to 30km.  1.5 hours each way is more time than I want to spend commuting.  Hope to get it < 1 hour on an e-bike.

Oct. 20, 2021, 2:04 p.m.

Used to commute by road bike, 50 ish km total with a bunch of elevation and it was doable, but tiring. Bought an ebike cargo commuter last year and now it's my new "car". I ride everywhere on it and do as many errands on it as possible, as it's convenient, fast, and keeps me in a better headspace. I ride every day to work, rain or shine (no snow), 30 ish KM total. From Vancouver to a suburb along some of the routes you've mentioned, takes me around 30 mins door:door if I'm hustling and if I'm not stopped at lights. I can do it as fast on my road bike but I'd have to ride hard tempo, and would have much less left in the tank at the end of the day for play. It's a no brainer for me to ride, as long as I have access to reasonably separated bike paths. Do it, it's much better than dealing with traffic and all the dickheads on the road. 

Having commuted through the city by bike for much of my life, the paths and infrastructure are getting pretty amazing. Wet, rainy, and dark days also mean fewer people on greenways - less to look out for when you're tired, and a much more enjoyable commuting experience.  Given this, having the ebike has really made things easier, and has also opened up different paths and parts of the city I would've otherwise not explored. Blah blah blah, I await the ebike haters.

Nov. 25, 2021, 10:34 a.m.

I have a 56 mile/90 km commute to work now. Looking to get an eBike and just start riding in a few days per week because the traffic sucks.

I have done the route on a regular bike but man, 2 1/2 hours each way is too much. Hoping to cut that down by an hour.

When I had a 25 mile/40km commute, I rode either my Xtracycle conversion or road bike in every day. Wasn't too bad but the weather here is nice.