How far do you or would you commute to work by bike? Even in wet weather?

Sept. 9, 2021, 8:22 p.m.

Consider that you'd have access to shower facilities and that the return trip would be in the evening around 9pm, how far/long would you be willing to ride for? Including in wet weather?

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ~ Seneca

Sept. 10, 2021, 12:36 p.m.

I am still working out the details, but I would have a 54 mile round trip commute to work right now.

I used to have a similar commute when I was younger, rain or shine.

I had a 25 mile round trip that was the perfect length.

Sept. 10, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

I'm debating the merits of a 40km round trip commute. The distance or rain doesn't bother me so much as the trip time and more importantly the return trip in the evening which would be in the dark. I looked at a combo of Transit/riding but it would actually take longer than just riding the whole thing. A combo of transit/running would be the longest and driving would be the shortest. An ebike would cut the commute time down by about 20 minutes or so, but I still have the night riding to deal with and I don't really have space for another bike.  I can do a 30min drive or have a total of 90 minutes by bike with allowing for the faffing about with the bike before and after.

Sept. 10, 2021, 4:29 p.m.

My commute is 20km each way. Average 1 hr of riding. I used to ride year round, but winter riding in the rain and dark has lost its appeal. Still ride most days outside of monsoon season though.

Sept. 11, 2021, 8:07 a.m.

i commute 22km total each day

Sept. 11, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

You don't have to commute by the same method all the time.

How many days per week would you be commuting?

Sept. 11, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

Inbound 15km and 100m vert

Outbound 15km and 250m vert

Its a pleasure to be able to ride in and it's short enough. Not sure if I'd manage a 50km+ everyday that some people do.

Luckily a lot of my route is grade separated bike lanes so a rainy night ride isn't as sketchy as it might be otherwise. Even if a route is longer it's prob a good idea to ride that way in those conditions

Sept. 11, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

For me it would depend on how good the cycling infrastructure is on the route. I'm not keen on riding on busy roads in the dark. Actually not even when it's light.

I used to do 40 km each way occasionally when I lived in Holland, including in the winter and in the dark but it was all flat and on separate car-free cycling paths. Like that it was enjoyable but I still wouldn't do that distance every day.

Here I did North Shore to downtown a couple times a week for a while, ~15 km each way and mostly car-free (Spirit Trail - Lions Gate - Stanley Park - Seawall). Perfect distance and one of the most scenic bike commutes in the world.

I would probably want to try out the route a few times to see if I like it before making a decision .

Sept. 11, 2021, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: niels@nsmb.com

For me it would depend on how good the cycling infrastructure is on the route. I'm not keen on riding on busy roads in the dark. Actually not even when it's light.

I'm pretty much the same.

I can use the Central Valley Greenway, 10th Ave bike route, Arbutus Greenway and then 29th Ave bike route which puts pretty much the whole thing on a separated bike path or a dedicated bike route. Only a few blocks would be on main roads. Some of it is lit well and some isn't. It should be an hour each way as the hills are pretty much split. Not sure if I'd do it 5 days/wk tho. It's an easy way to boost cardio, save money on gas and of course more enviro friendly. When I worked DT it was an easier choice as it was the same commute time whether I biked or drove - 25-30min. And the ride wasn't difficult enough that it interfered with my strength workouts. With the new  work location on then West side the drive is still 30min but the bike time doubles, and that will make a difference on the strength workouts.