hey anyone who rides a bike where cars are meant to travel.

June 3, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

FIFY.

10th Ave is a god damned zoo regardless of transit modality.

Even more fun near any Uni or community college. No you IPhone or Stupidphone will not protect you from anything on the planet.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 3, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

FIFY.

10th Ave is a god damned zoo regardless of transit modality.

This! I just switched from an East Van commute to a North Van commute and have been blown away by how much more considerate / controlled EVERYONE is.

June 3, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

This! I just switched from an East Van commute to a North Van commute and have been blown away by how much more considerate / controlled EVERYONE is.

were you coming over Knight at 12th that is a place of many scary decisions… Venables and Clark seems so much better for not have the central island

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

June 3, 2013, 11:28 p.m.

I agree too.

For my bike commute I have 2 choices of similar distance: One involves 10th and one doesn't. I rarely choose 10th.

10th is a shit show on ALL counts (and it's not just bikes). CVG is the best.

June 4, 2013, 7:21 a.m.

Yeah, I've never driven along 10th and I don't know why anyone would even try.

I ride along 5th to where I need to go. Nice wide road and no-one in it.

One of my favourite moves that I see on 10th when I do ride on it, is being sat in an ordered line-up at the lights, only for some duffer on a shopping bike to cruise by and park themselves at the front of the queue, thus holding everyone up again when the lights go to green :D Ignorance is bliss I guess.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 5, 2013, 12:39 a.m.

i know i like the paint on my car more than like you right now.

On the interwebs, nobody cares who you are or what you like. Except, of course, in the event you should actually end up tagging a cyclist. So, going forward, you've got multiple posts on a public forum linked to your IP address that verify your intent and that would be subpoened in a heartbeat by any competent personal injury lawyer. So basically, you've just publically self-castrated yourself. Turbofu**inglulz, my friend. I look forward to you giving me a wide berth the next time you pass me on the street. :-)

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

June 5, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

I am guessing by the OP's attitude he/she is from Ontario.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 5, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

Yeah, I've never driven along 10th and I don't know why anyone would even try.

I ride along 5th to where I need to go. Nice wide road and no-one in it.

One of my favourite moves that I see on 10th when I do ride on it, is being sat in an ordered line-up at the lights, only for some duffer on a shopping bike to cruise by and park themselves at the front of the queue, thus holding everyone up again when the lights go to green :D Ignorance is bliss I guess.

There have been a few times when I have chased other cyclists down and pointed out their moronic moves to them.

June 9, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

i drive A LOT and i try my best not to kill anyone while i go about my business.
it would be very nice if the people i am trying so hard NOT to kill on a daily basis would help a little.

in your case, let me know if it's you that i to happen to run over.
so i can throw her in reverse and back up over you again.

Hmmmmmm While were threatening peoples lives. Which is what you just did. I commute with steel toe work boots on. Id like to use them on your face…. just for fun. May I add pray I never meet you in person. I wont hurt you. That's immature. But I will embarrass the living fuck out of you for being so stupid and arrogant . Whats your name O,o . Maybe it should be oh oh! cause your big mouth is going to get you hurt one day.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

June 9, 2013, 10:49 a.m.

the op has a good point.

personally though, i don't see anything wrong with jumping a light or rolling thru a stop sign as long as you've had a good look before hand and are not inconveniencing those who have the ROW. it is absolutely mind boggliing the amount of road users (cyclists and pedestrians in particular) that go about their business without any thought or notice as to what's going on around them.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 12, 2013, 8:05 a.m.

the op has a good point.

personally though, i don't see anything wrong with jumping a light or rolling thru a stop sign as long as you've had a good look before hand and are not inconveniencing those who have the ROW. it is absolutely mind boggliing the amount of road users (cyclists and pedestrians in particular) that go about their business without any thought or notice as to what's going on around them.

I agree with this too. I don't care what anyone says, sometimes it is perfectly safe to go through a red light on a bike.

I don't think I should ever ride a bike in Canada again though. I'm sure I've developed some fairly incompatible habits by now.

www.natooke.com

July 12, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

There have been a few times when I have chased other cyclists down and pointed out their moronic moves to them.

In Montreal, that`s probably obstruction of a peace officer and subject to a hefty fine …

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2013/07/did-this-cyclist-deserve-a-651-ticket.html

BTW, I agree that cyclists (or anyone) should face the music for breaking the law. But a $651 ticket for warning people to not break the law like you did?

July 14, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

- Cyclists not respecting cars is moronic on a lethal level. Doesn't matter if you're right and the driver is being a shithead. They are still going to win.

- Motorists not respecting a cyclist's space when the cyclist is NOT being an idiot are equally moronic on a lethal level.

I personally try to ride with respect for all other users of the road (cars, bikes, pedestrians). For every hipster asshole who is wrecking cyclists' reputation there is also a redneck piece of shit in a pickup whose ignorance and intolerance is just as bad. And then there's the self-righteous, careless pedestrian too. Can't say any one group is worse than the other, but they are all terrible.

I take up the whole lane if I feel it's unsafe to pass me. Fuck you in the car behind me if you think it's your God-given right to go 20 over the speed limit all the time. I'm a single occupant vehicle just like the car probably is at the time, riding lawfully and protecting my life. I drive and bike places in pretty equal measure, and I ALWAYS believe the cyclist should get the right of way. They aren't protected by 2500+ lbs of metal, they are traveling in a more responsible way, and they are going that slow ALL the time, not just for 10 or 15 seconds until you get a safe passing opportunity.

Now I just wish the hipster assholes weren't out there ruining my otherwise sound argument.

July 16, 2013, 1:56 p.m.

I too generally give cyclists as much of a break as possible when I'm driving but there are some things that I see cyclists do that seem a little unfair. A couple examples:

- cyclist passes cars and rolls to the front of the pack at a stoplight, no problem. Light turns green and cars pass the cyclist once again. Cyclist gets all mad that cars aren't giving him enough space, even though its the pretty much the same gap he/she cycled through when it was advantageous. WTF

- cyclists standing at crossWALKS, waiting for a gap in traffic and getting mad when cars don't stop. This is only legit if you dismount and WALK across, otherwise you're a vehicle and have to yield. WTF

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 16, 2013, 4:23 p.m.

Lets see your in a chunk of steel and glass that weighs thousands of pounds to haul your at worse 300 pound body. Perhaps one should appreciate the privilege of the luxury of driving a car/truck. It would be nice if when you are in a device that is most certainly capable of killing people that you strived to be as safe and responsible as possible.
Since you have to potential to kill/main you would think that people would be cautious and constantly be aware of pedestrians ,children playing, cyclist, and motor cycles.
Sadly I find the majority of motorist are whiny selfish bitches. like the OP who posted this thread.

A bicycle is considered a vehicle, under the traffic law, even when the bicyclist is stopped and feet on the ground. Most people are in a rush, they run red lights just to stop at the next red light down the block. At stop signs, no one ever completely stops because they are a rush. The worst are drivers blowing through occupied pedestrian crossings, which is one huge fine ($2000+) plus usually a speeding (over 35) ticket. I read somewhere that a cross-walk is a courtesy, along with the pedestrain lights. Technically you are allowed to cross from one sidewalk to the other sidewalk at an intersection.