Headphones while commuting?

Aug. 28, 2013, 9:41 p.m.

Not in BC (it is in other jurisdictions, like Quebec - in New York, you can wear headphones, only your left ear must be open). I've ridden by cops in Vancouver lots of times with earbuds on with not so much as a comment.

Some people claim its illegal according to the BC Motor Vehicle Act, but I'd be dammed if its actually in there

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_00

I suspect if there were a rash of accidents involving cyclists with earphones and cars, the AG definitely would look at making it an offense. You usually don't try to listen for cars around you when you drive, but does that make you a less safe driver? I can usually hear cars over the music (especially large vehicles) but my music is at a level that is typically no louder than the wind in my ears would normally be. I'm not saying its not a bad habit, but it often beats the boredom of commuting sometimes 10+ hours a week.

Hmm that is interesting. A friend of mine got two tickets in one go on her bike about a year back. One was for not fully stopping at a stop sign, the other was for wearing headphones. Im pretty sure you arent allowed earphones while driving a car (but one is OK I think?), so Im going to guess they can apply the same law to cyclists?

Aug. 28, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

Not in BC (it is in other jurisdictions, like Quebec - in New York, you can wear headphones, only your left ear must be open). I've ridden by cops in Vancouver lots of times with earbuds on with not so much as a comment.

Some people claim its illegal according to the BC Motor Vehicle Act, but I'd be dammed if its actually in there

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_00

True its not in the BC Motor Vehicle Act. But it is a city bylaw for Vancouver for sure.

I have been flagged over downtown and given a warning for wearing them before.

Cycling regulations from Street and Traffic By-Law No. 2849

(City of Vancouver consolidated report Oct 18, 2011)
Driver must have hand on steering device

60. No person shall ride any bicycle upon any sidewalk except where posted by signs.

60A. No person shall ride a bicycle upon a street while wearing headphones, or any other manufactured device capable of transmitting sound, over or in close proximity to both ears, except that this prohibition shall not apply to the wearing of a device designed and worn for the purpose of improving the wearer's ability to hear sounds emanating from outside of the device.

60B. No person shall ride a bicycle upon a street unless the bicycle is equipped with a bell capable of being used as a warning.

60C. The various paths and ways shown and described by either a thick black solid line or a thick black dashed line on the plans attached to this Bylaw as Schedule C are, pursuant to Section 124(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act, hereby designated for the purposes of sections 60D and 60E.

60D. No person shall operate or ride as a passenger on a bicycle on any path or way shown on Schedule C unless the person is properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that has been designated under or complies with the standards and specifications of the Motor Vehicle Act.

60E. No parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years shall authorize or knowingly permit the person to operate or ride as a passenger on a bicycle on any path or way shown on Schedule C unless the person is properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that has been designated under or complies with the standards and specifications of the Motor Vehicle Act.

60F. A police officer may arrest without warrant any bicyclist whom the officer finds committing a breach of any provision of this by-law if such person fails to stop and state his or her proper name and address when so requested by the police officer.

Not sure about other areas in the GVRD.

Aug. 29, 2013, 8:38 a.m.

not on city streets or MUPs. I love listening to music, but I love not getting hit by a car more.

I always listen to music while running though and sometimes while mountain biking.
I tried the small-speaker-on-the-stem thing on the STP bike ride, but it was only loud enough in quiet areas (countryside).

Aug. 29, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

Nope never. Interferes with the voices in my head. Plus not too impressed with the crap head moves other commuters pull when they are unaware of their surroundings.

Aug. 30, 2013, 1:44 a.m.

I had quite a few sketchy moments this year, and I realized that I needed to get away from the constant buzzing of music, voices, gagdets - so I just left them at home. And right now I do enjoy the clarity and silence, and the fact thatI do feel more in tune with my environment. Which is sweet. No longer any danger of getting lost in music and hugging a car or truck.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer