Heading to DT Vangroovy

July 9, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

So which is the best way to get from Horseshoe Bay to English Bay? Marine Drive to Loins Gate Bridge?

I assume LG is cycling the same direction as traffic sidewalks? Cycling path thru Stanley Park?

I'll be on my roadie so yeah

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 9, 2015, 9:35 a.m.

That'll do it.

If you've never done it before, figuring out how to get on the bridge from Marine Drive will be the hardest part. You need to get in behind the Park Royal mall, cross the bridge over the Capilano River, and look for the bike path/ramp that goes up to the west side of the bridge.

I think you could also just stay on Marine Drive, but get on the south sidewalk after Taylor Way, and follow that up onto the bridge, but I've never done it that way.

July 9, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

Never done it before. Google Maps doesn't show the cycling route onto the bridge.
Is there signs that show cyclist directions?

July 9, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

If you are down on the cycle path, getting through Park Royal is a bit of a maze. You kind of have to cut through the car park. Once you hit the path again the route is pretty obvious (if not sign posted). If I'm heading west, I usually just stay on Marine.

I believe taking the side of the highway is shorter, but I've never done it. Marine is a much nicer ride. LG is the same direction as traffic.

July 9, 2015, 11:57 a.m.

I recommend crossing the railroad tracks at 13th St. and following the cycle/walking path that is almost an immediate left. That'll put you out directly behind Park Royal where you need to be. Keep heading East until you see the bridge and the cycle entrance is pretty obvious (next to the RV Park entrance). On the Stanley Park side of the bridge, take the first exit and cruise around the Park Drive.

I usually ride Marine Drive to 31st St. and then snake my way along below Marine Dr. A bunch of little turns but actually pretty easy in practice. If you get wet, you are too close to the ocean. :)

July 9, 2015, noon

So which is the best way to get from Horseshoe Bay to English Bay? Marine Drive to Loins Gate Bridge?

I assume LG is cycling the same direction as traffic sidewalks? Cycling path thru Stanley Park?

I'll be on my roadie so yeah

Take Marine Drive for sure. Its super nice.

Directions for the nicest route off Marine Drive (turn right onto 27th across from the church) and take Bellvue Dundarave-[HTML_REMOVED]Ambleside-[HTML_REMOVED]Bridge. Turn onto the bridge cycling on-ramp just past the Camper Ground before the road turns 90 degrees to parallel the Lions Gate bridge. (Click on Attachments below).

July 9, 2015, 1:48 p.m.

just because no-one's mentioned it when you come off the Lions Gate take the first right onto Prospect Point. You can ride thru Stanley Park to the Seawall ducking by the tourist buses. That gets you to English Bay.

If you ride the Seawall right now it'll be super busy but it can be adventurous

July 9, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

marine dr vs hwy 1 . . .

although you do climb a bit higher to get to the hwy , it is probably a more efficient , and possibly safer route , despite the obviously higher speed traffic .

marine drive can be a more pleasant ride , and it certainly is more scenic , however it does have a lot of short sprinters' hills . in addition , there are several very narrow sections . depending on the temperament of the driver behind you , this can be either scary or very pleasant . I think the locals are getting quite used to bikes on " their " road . it has been my experience ( over 40 years riding that route ) that if you " own " the lane where you have to , while you acknowledge their presence , they are often quite content to wait until you give them the first opportunity to pass .

the bus drivers can be the worst .

if this was my daily regular route , I'd probably go hwy 1 into Vancouver and marine drive heading to horseshoe bay .

July 9, 2015, 3:40 p.m.

marine dr vs hwy 1 . . .

although you do climb a bit higher to get to the hwy , it is probably a more efficient , and possibly safer route , despite the obviously higher speed traffic .

marine drive can be a more pleasant ride , and it certainly is more scenic , however it does have a lot of short sprinters' hills . in addition , there are several very narrow sections . depending on the temperament of the driver behind you , this can be either scary or very pleasant . I think the locals are getting quite used to bikes on " their " road . it has been my experience ( over 40 years riding that route ) that if you " own " the lane where you have to , while you acknowledge their presence , they are often quite content to wait until you give them the first opportunity to pass .

if this was my daily regular route , I'd probably go hwy 1 into Vancouver and marine drive heading to horseshoe bay .

I don't like the highway mostly for the fumes, the cars doing 120 km/h (that or else its gridlock), and crossing the exit lanes. The low road is much nicer and traffic levels are generally much lower (depends on time of day) and nobody is really in a hurry (its a twisty 2-lane residential road that parallels a 4-lane highway with a 90 km/h speed limit - if you're in a hurry and on the low road, you f*cked up). You do a lot more climbing on the highway.

I've generally found that buses are a one-and-done proposition on that road. Once a bus passes you, you generally don't see another one. They are infrequent and don't make many stops on Marine Drive.

July 9, 2015, 3:41 p.m.

Have to agree with Patrolskid. I am not a big fan of Marine Drive, no matter how scenic it is. Not very enjoyable when you always have to be conscious of vehicle traffic.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 9, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

Marine drive in the early morning is hard to beat , with traffic meh..

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

July 9, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

I have seen road bikes on the shoulder of Hwy 1 between Horseshit Bay and CyprAss. Is that even allowed?

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2015, 5:53 p.m.

yes , but Duncan has a point about hwy 1 . . . it is almost like the worst of both worlds either route .

is that one lane alternating traffic light still there on marine ?

one good thing about marine . . . you often see some very expensive cars , being driven by very attractive , and very expensive women .

July 9, 2015, 8:10 p.m.

is that one lane alternating traffic light still there on marine ?

The one near Eagle Harbour? Don't know … haven't been on it in about a month.

July 10, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

I'm merely taking a leisurely pedal from HSB into Van City so I'll do the Duncan suggestion. Marine, down the lower road then thru Stanley Park.

I was unsure if cycling was allowed thru Ambleside Park, which it looks to be